Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 146 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 380 72.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, you should have made it clear what the criteria was when you posed the question

Otherwise, I'll go back to Sheezel based on age

So, goatie isn't the best player over the first 2 seasons, nor did he have better output as a 19 year old

Facts over opinion
Oh, it's a 'fact' that Sheezel has been better than Daicos?

Interesting.

And I merely commented that Tim Kelly was 23 years old when he debuted. I didn't say he was disqualified from the discussion. So go ahead and make your case for Tim Kelly.

Oh, it's a 'fact' that Sheezel has been better than Daicos?

Interesting.
Only interesting? It's statistically correct, prove otherwise

And I merely commented that Tim Kelly was 23 years old when he debuted. I didn't say he was disqualified from the discussion. So go ahead and make your case for Tim Kelly.

You need me to detail it further for you?

Ah yes let's just take your word as gospel...
Not sure what you mean there . I asked for opinions on this question and said I would like others to gives theirs. What do you think. Where does Daicos’s career start sit amongst the group above?

And his dozen scrubbers off the deck? I've played footy nearly all my life and I can tell you the only time you do them frequently is when you're scared of incoming hits and don't want to take the contact. Most often happens when players are returning from injury.
Lots of us have played and watched lots of footy.

"A dozen scrubbers off the deck", I assume you mean kicks off the ground. Thats just patently wrong, a gross exaggeration so why keep repeating it. It really damages your argument

If you want to understand why Daicos isnt the timid outside player you want him to be there are lots of examples of him being white hot when matches are on the line. None better that that last 2 min against Carlton this year. I have posted it below. I think biggest H&A crowd ever for the Blues. No one can get a clear possession in that frantic time until Nick loses Walsh in traffic and kicks a stunning goal.

What happens next is even more instructive. After the centre square there is a boundary throw in on Collingwood HFF. 52 sec on the clock. Walsh, a gun himself, knowing Carl has 52 sec to score a goal, stands at that stoppage with his back to the ball looking directly at Daicos. He knows they have under a minute but is too worried about Daicos icing the match to attack. Daicos loses him immediately, Cripps attacks the ball, Daicos eases him our of the contest takes the ball and an exhausted Cripps tackles him high. Cripps gets up slowly even though time is nigh, virtually conceding he has been Nicked.

Daicos gets 10 coaches votes , clear BOG, next best player gets 4. Thats Daicos.

I didn't realise Leigh Montagna (amongst others) qualified as a 'pies nuffy'...
Plenty more have called Dusty the greatest. You don't see me or other Richmond supporters starting threads crowing from the rooftops that he is.

Funnily enough, the Dusty goat thread was also started by a Pies supporter. What is it with you guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice how every one of those players also happened to be a physical beast? Then theres Nicky who couldn't beat up a toasted crumpet
Haha

And here’s you still avoiding the question you don’t want to answer.

So if Nick is this timid, outside player your fantasy version requires you shouldn't have any trouble naming numerous players as having better career starts. Try it

Last edited:
Did cuddles Macrae give him more coaches votes this week?

Geez he’s had an outstanding year but Craggles does his best to prop him up in his lesser games.
Lazy 2 votes. It's endemic. Sunday footy show had him third best player on the ground. Pies fans think he was their best player. Blind freddie could tell you he had a stinker on Friday

Lazy 2 votes. It's endemic. Sunday footy show had him third best player on the ground. Pies fans think he was their best player. Blind freddie could tell you he had a stinker on Friday
It just goes to show how good he is, when some can watch the game and conclude he had a 'stinker' (because it's all relative, and unless the 21 year old 3rd year player was the stand out player on the ground, he had a stinker), whilst others can watch it and conclude he was Collingwood's best player, and amongst the best 3 or 4 players on the ground...

Last edited:
It just goes to show how good he is, when some can watch the game and conclude he had a 'stinker' (because it's all relative, and unless the 21 year old 3rd year player was the stand out player on the ground, he had a stinker), whilst others can watch it and conclude he was Collingwood's best player, and amongst the best 3 or 4 players on the ground...
You think he was Collingwoods best?
I had Crisp and Sidebottom ahead of him.
Pendles on par.

Then there was the winning teams best players.

Pendles on par.
There wasn't much between the top 3 - Crisp, Sidey and Daicos, and can see how different people would rank them in any order for Collingwood.

Merrett the clear best on the ground, then you could throw a blanket over half a dozen players for the next best.

There wasn't much between the top 3 - Crisp, Sidey and Daicos, and can see how different people would rank them in any order for Collingwood.
Hmm fair enough.
I had Crisp Sidey and Pendles better because they were far more effective with the ball and didn’t burn it nearly as much. Plus the first two hit the scoreboard.

But I can see how some would look at pure stats and feel like Daicos was up there as well. He didn’t impact the game like his other team mates, even though he got his hands on the ball more. Particularly in the last half when the game was there to be won and he impacted with 4 effective disposals.

Pendles on par.

Then there was the winning teams best players.
sidebottom was 3rd best on after merrett & caldwell for mine.

merrett had more score involvements than naicos had effective disposals (aka not turned over).

dont get me wrong, i think he’s a good player, but his performance on the weekend was an example of what’s wrong with coaches votes & brownlow votes for midfielders. bigger number = played better, right?

sidebottom was 3rd best on after merrett & caldwell for mine.

merrett had more score involvements than naicos had effective disposals (aka not turned over).

dont get me wrong, i think he’s a good player, but his performance on the weekend was an example of what’s wrong with coaches votes & brownlow votes for midfielders. bigger number = played better, right?
More than Half the players who played had as many effective disposals and score involvements as ND.

Haha

And here’s you still avoiding the question you don’t want to answer.

So if Nick is this timid, outside player player your fantasy version requires you shouldn't have any trouble naming numerous players as having better career starts. Try it
And u haven't answered mine. Why was he kicking balls off the deck if he wasn't afraid of incoming contact?

No mate he had a stinker because whilst he got his hands on it a lot, he did absolutely **** all with it. In fact I've said he probably helped our cause. Sidebottom and Pendles much more effective, and then there's the blokes on the winning team. How anyone had him in the votes on Friday is why awards are virtually meaningless now

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back