Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 163 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 409 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he have any outstanding games while being paid close attention by an oppo players? I don't recall as much.

He's still got a long long way to go before he gets near any GOAT discussion. He's far too soft at the contest atm.
Huh. He's the most heavily guarded mid in the league and was given 38 Brownlow votes.

That doesnt suggest he gets a tag.
Tell me a single player who has received more opposition attention on game day over the past two seasons than Nick Daicos.

And despite that, and having only completed his third season at the level, he has been the best performed player in the competition over that time.

He's a freak.

Funny how Nicky supposedly gets tagged every game yet every time the Pies play the Blues Fly has 2 blokes sitting on Cripps at every stoppage and nobody goes near Nicky. Call it Crazy Vossy but the statement he gets tagged EVERY game is laughable

Got anything to back this up or is it just a vibe?

I'd argue Cripps, Bont and Neale get just as much if not more attention than Nicky.

Fadge is quite biased...in fact too biased towards Collingwood. It effects his decision making. He doesn't have a good feel for the game and his assessing is quite poor. When his reality bubble is popped and he is challenged...he turns to water.

Funny how Nicky supposedly gets tagged every game yet every time the Pies play the Blues Fly has 2 blokes sitting on Cripps at every stoppage and nobody goes near Nicky. Call it Crazy Vossy but the statement he gets tagged EVERY game is laughable
'Nobody goes near Nicky' in Carlton games....

The only time a player wasn't smothering him at a stoppage, he was able to separate himself to kick the match winning goal.

'Nobody goes near Nicky' in Carlton games....

The only time a player wasn't smothering him at a stoppage, he was able to separate himself to kick the match winning goal.
Yep. For those watching properly this year, the defining images of Nick weren't just the running brilliance and damage summed up by his goal of the year nominations, it was also him moving through the foot of stoppages with a trailer attached and if he had a foot of separation picking it up as clean as a whistle and turning into 6 feet of separation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, when JDG and Mitchell first got injured and we had to change strategy, there were some bad coaches who allowed us to separate Nick into a one on one and he got 10 coaches votes for a few weeks on end before some better coaches actually saw what was happening and he became a bit less dominant.

Oh.

Another one-off sequence of still frame photos....

At least this sequence does in fact support your assertion, but it is one of more than 1000 stoppages that Daicos attended throughout the season....
Sorry didn't you say the only time he wasn't being smothered was the time he kicked a goal to win the game vs the Blues?

Fact is in both those games Cripps was the one who was tagged, not Nicky. There would be at least a handful of players who are tagged just as much or more than Twinkle Toes over the season, it's just more hyperbole and fart sniffing from Pies fans claiming he's some sort of outlier when it comes to how much opposition attention he gets.

But don't worry I've been assured Nicky gets tagged way more than Cripps, or Bont, or Neale, Heeney, Merrett... Goatie is just too good!
Yes the guy who averages more Brownlow votes per game than anyone in history is actually a good player who receives the most attention, good to see you're picking this up about "Nicky"

Yes, when JDG and Mitchell first got injured and we had to change strategy, there were some bad coaches who allowed us to separate Nick into a one on one and he got 10 coaches votes for a few weeks on end before some better coaches actually saw what was happening and he became a bit less dominant.
Which really goes to my point. He is not tagged 'every game', he's tagged just as much as any top tier midfielder.

No one has done what he has done IN THERE FIRST TWO SEASONS. NO ONE, even surpassed a young Juddy but yes, he's very good now, way better than Cripps he's nowhere near Gary Ablett 40 and a goal every week in a losing side kind of good though. So can he be the GOAT...maybe...

Which really goes to my point. He is not tagged 'every game', he's tagged just as much as any top tier midfielder.
This was the first game after Degoey and Mitchell got injured. We hadn't used him as our hitout target, first possession guy yet and thus he hadn't been a big clearance player previously. 3 games, 30 coaches votes, 9 Brownlow votes later, and the coaching world went "Oh ****" and Nick had a trailer attached around stoppage for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
This was the first game after Degoey and Mitchell got injured. We hadn't used him as our hitout target, first possession guy yet and thus he hadn't been a big clearance player previously. 3 games, 30 coaches votes, 9 Brownlow votes later, and the coaching world went "Oh ****" and Nick had a trailer attached around stoppage for the rest of the year.
Did Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond or Melbourne tag Nicky in the 2nd half of the year? I'll give you a clue... the answer rhymes with GO

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back