Nick Maxwell's Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Looney

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it possible his injuries are worse than what is reported? When hospitals don't release specific details about the injuries, it's not a good sign. If he is out for a long period of time, then our backline is seriously in trouble. We might get to see Keefe in action earlier than expected.

Actually, reading the article it sounds quite serious, I hope his health improves and quickly.

I am certainly no Dr....but you may have to wait for swelling to subside etc before any firm diagnosis could be made.

Oh no, he looks so bad.:p

maxy1.jpg

No secrets here, he has some internal bleeding, as reported, and as reported, may be out for a month.

Where's the "missing" information?:confused:

By the way, the other guy there is Tom Hunter, and the West Coast player who hit him in the neck is in trouble.

Oh well thats football. He got bumped fair and square, and thats how the game goes. I have no sympothy what so ever for Maxwell,. he took a fair bump now time to wear the consequences.

What I find wierd is that noone from the club wouldnt comment about his injuries but Nick was quick to twitter about it? If it was common knowledge why wouldnt the club delve into it to the media?

Oh no, he looks so bad.:p

maxy1.jpg

No secrets here, he has some internal bleeding, as reported, and as reported, may be out for a month.

Where's the "missing" information?:confused:

By the way, the other guy there is Tom Hunter, and the West Coast player who hit him in the neck is in trouble.

Im not saying his injuries might be life threatening or career threatening, but i fear he might be sidelined for longer than expected.

Well the reports say kis kidneys have been knocked about abit, and as someone who has suffered kidney problems myself, they can keep you down for a long while..
Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery though and is back in the side after round 5.

Oh well thats football. He got bumped fair and square, and thats how the game goes. I have no sympothy what so ever for Maxwell,. he took a fair bump now time to wear the consequences.

What I find wierd is that noone from the club wouldnt comment about his injuries but Nick was quick to twitter about it? If it was common knowledge why wouldnt the club delve into it to the media?

Yep, they left plenty out of this article.:p

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/108873/default.aspx

I still don't get where the conspiracy theory is coming from, :confused: he is injured, he has internal bleeding around the kidneys, and is out for up to a month.

No one is hiding anything, or has even tried to hide anything.:)

Yep, they left plenty out of this article.:p

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/108873/default.aspx

I still don't get where the conspiracy theory is coming from, :confused: he is injured, he has internal bleeding around the kidneys, and is out for up to a month.

No one is hiding anything, or has even tried to hide anything.:)

I only watched the news and when they asked members of the club players and coaches included they didnt comment? All I was wondering is why they didnt come out with it? Its not a serious injury regardless so I thought some one wouldve commented on something rather then hearing an injury update off twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broke his jaw, so make of that what you will. Either a 0 or 4+ week indiscretion under the current 'rules'.

Either or, there's a touch of irony in a guy who broke the jaw of a rookie in a NAB Cup game looking like missing games after being cleaned up by a seasoned hard man (cough) like Embley in a corresponding NAB Cup game 2 years later... not that I wish internal bleeding on him, of course.

Broke his jaw, so make of that what you will. Either a 0 or 4+ week indiscretion under the current 'rules'.

Either or, there's a touch of irony in a guy who broke the jaw of a rookie in a NAB Cup game looking like missing games after being cleaned up by a seasoned hard man (cough) like Embley in a corresponding NAB Cup game 2 years later... not that I wish internal bleeding on him, of course.

Fair enough.

Yeah, I remember that now. Looking back, was it reasonable hip and shoulder or should Maxwell have been rubbed out?
I think these sorts of incidents will always raise questions as to whether they are reportable and certainly the rules have been "clarified" since.

[youtube]hsf-qADsO3E[/youtube]
I think this paragraph from Wikipedia explains the incident as well as anything I've read.
Further controversy during the 2009 NAB Cup again brought the bump under scrutiny from the AFL match review panel. In a match between Collingwood and West Coast, Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell executed a side to front on bump on young opponent Patrick McGinnity as they contested the loose ball. Although McGinnity's head was not over the ball and he was within 5 metres of the ball so would have reasonably expected contact, Maxwell's copybook bump executed with the hip and shoulder resulted in an incidental clash of heads from the impact which broke McGinnity's jaw and sidelined him for up to 10 weeks. Some argued that Maxwell's eyes were taken off the ball, and that his sole intent was to take McGinnity out of play. The AFL Tribunal handed Maxwell a 4 week suspension ruling that Maxwell had a duty of care, even in a split second onfield decision to commit to a bump. Several media commentators including Mike Sheahan and AFL greats Kevin Bartlett and Nathan Buckley claimed that the decision brought into question the very fabric of the game and could set a precedent which would see the innate physicality and unpredictability which endears the game to spectators to be removed. However some, such as Rodney Eade defended the AFL's position. Collingwood launched a successful appeal, the only one in the history of the AFL tribunal and the decision was completely reversed. However weeks later, in light of clearing Maxwell, the AFL announced it intended to clarify the rules further to prevent similar appeals.
So it seems that under the new "clarification" of the rule Maxwell might have had a short holiday but in the context of the rules as they sat at that point clearly the appeal showed that Maxwell's bump was not illegal even if it was a bit crude.

Anyway, whatever you believe, you can't help but laugh at the flogs who want to call it Karma or some such. Honestly, grow up. :rolleyes: It's part of the game and a guy like Maxwell who does play it hard is always eventually going to cop an injury of this kind. I just hope it doesn't have any effect on the way he plays the game and I also hope Embley isn't cited by the MRP for it even if it was a bit late.

Maybe there is some irony in Mitch Brown going down a week after Nate does? Probably only if Mitch is out for the season though.....not that I wish internal bleeding to go along with the injury.....

Always unfortunate when players are injured preseason whether they be rookies or captain of the premiership team.

He'll be out until about Round 4 I predict.

Which is fine. Our first 3 games are Port, North and Carlton, I'm sure we'll do fine without him in those 3. Hell, I think we have Richmond the week after, so give him an extra week just to be safe.

I was more worried about a season ending shoulder injury.

Maxwell is the biggest snipper in the game. He loves nothing better than linning opponents up and collecting them (fairly) when they're off balance and don't see it coming.

So the snipper got shot. Good!

I'm sure most non Collingwood football supporters would
have chuckled when they saw that one.

It's called Karma.

Zero sympathy for Nick. He's owed quite a few more.

It's a real shame for Nick as I am sure he would have been looking forward to Round 1 and leading out the teams as the reigning premiers.

Hope it is just the 4 weeks.

Maxwell is the biggest snipper in the game. He loves nothing better than linning opponents up and collecting them (fairly) when they're off balance and don't see it coming.

So the snipper got shot. Good!

I'm sure most non Collingwood football supporters would
have chuckled when they saw that one.

It's called Karma.

Zero sympathy for Nick. He's owed quite a few more.
Internal bleeding? Zero sympathy eh? You're a real class act sunshine.

Internal bleeding? Zero sympathy eh? You're a real class act sunshine.

For all the cracked ribs & concussions he's handed out he simply got a taste of his own medicine.

For a supposed 'tough nut' you're treating him like a princess. He's sitting up in bed for a photo FFS. Hardly intensive care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Maxwell's Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back