Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

No he didn't just ask Brereton - he put a statement to Brereton that there was nothing to worry about and it was just gamesmanship. To his credit, Breteton looked really uncomfortable with what Newman was trying to do.

Yeah you’re probably right there

He ignored Lewis at the start

Not a bad point.

Unfortunately I suspect pretty much every player did pre 1990's.

The worst I've ever heard was 1991 Eagles v Demons at Waverly all aimed at Chris Lewis. It was an era where nothing was sacred, as both Tony Shaw & Gary Lyon admitted, & more credit to both.
Sam was always close to Polly & was there for him financially & mentally when it was needed.

Not a bad point.

Unfortunately I suspect pretty much every player did pre 1990's.
Maybe in Victoria, in WA we all play together from kids in short people through to the WAFL so was never really a thing thank christ.

Sam played with Polly as well and on the ocassions I've seen them together it's one of the very rare times he doesn't act silly. It's very obvious that there is a massive, massive amount of respect there.

Did Sam ever racially abuse players on the field like Brereton?

Quite possible. It was rampant until the 90s. Anything offensive to get an advance was on the cards. But he also rates Polly Farmer as the best footballer ever - so I assume he kept his comments for opposition players and wasnt demanding separate change rooms.

I suspect that I could start a thread about strawberry ice-cream, and someone would find a way to work the holocaust into it. Shills simply never sleep.
Nor do dimwits who respond to a post made 18 months ago. If you don’t like the analogy.. tough. Applies perfectly to the clown I was responding to, and most likely you as well.

Pert little nose still intact. Just have a low tolerance threshold for fools.

“Stax” instantly reminds me of the Samuel L Jackson’s character in ‘ Goodfellas’

You yourself remind me of the quintessential ####head that everyone would like to smash in the mouth.
5C9BCEDF-1F0D-4595-98E2-E8DF4D31D2B7.jpeg

Quite possible. It was rampant until the 90s. Anything offensive to get an advance was on the cards. But he also rates Polly Farmer as the best footballer ever - so I assume he kept his comments for opposition players and wasnt demanding separate change rooms.

Its on record ( I saw it in an interview once) that Newman said something pretty close to the words of ..” At my time at Geelong, Polly never gave me any advice about ruck work. Never said a word to me. I just watched and learnt and incorporated his work into my own game.”

Watch this…doesn’t sound like a racist to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Newman ‘vindicated’ in defamation win (paywalled)

Footy Show great Sam Newman has won a confidential settlement from four media organisations, including his long-time employer Channel 9, and an apology from an award-winning photographer, over online articles about the famous Nicky Winmar “jumper lift” which he claimed defamed him.

Newman and fellow AFL great Don Scott launched legal action in the Federal Court in November against photographer Wayne Ludbey, the DailyMail.com Australia, ESPN.com.au, Nine Entertainment Co and Verizon Media Australia claiming they suffered reputational damage from interviews Ludbey gave to the DailyMail.com Australia and ESPN.com.au last year.

As part of the settlement, Ludbey provided a written apology to Newman and Scott.

Newman said... “We are satisfied with the outcome and delighted with the apology.”

Well Well.

Wasn't this swept nicely under the carpet by the media...

Sam Newman is such a *******. He has a history of racism. I remember all the closest racists, misogynists, rednecks, John Howard supporter, justifying his actions saying that he was just playing a character on the footy show, that he was actually a good bloke. Turns out he was actually reining it in on the footy show and he is a seriously s**t bloke.

Winmar was either pointing to his skin saying he is proud of his indigenous colour, or saying in spite of all the racist comments he has the guts to win. For Sam to get on radio and dog whistle to his racist base about this shows what a pathetic piece of s**t he is.

Worse case - Nicky Winmar was out there saying he played with guts, and it has been interpreted as he is proud of his skin.

That was a turning point.

It put a line in the sand to say we will not accept racism in AFL anymore. Whether it was the original intention or not is not the point. Every player in the AFL knows that was when things changed, that's when the line was drawn. It inspired kids all around the country, it gave grown men the courage to speak up and not put up with the crap anymore. He inspired thousands, it changed history for the better.

Why is Sam Newman trying now to debate this? What purpose does it serve to question Winmar's motives?

There are two reasons for Newman to push this.

He is a Racist
He is irrelevant and wants attention

Either way, he is human garbage.

No he’s not mate. Trust me, what he said it the absolute truth

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam Newman is such a *******. He has a history of racism. I remember all the closest racists, misogynists, rednecks, John Howard supporter, justifying his actions saying that he was just playing a character on the footy show, that he was actually a good bloke. Turns out he was actually reining it in on the footy show and he is a seriously s**t bloke.

Winmar was either pointing to his skin saying he is proud of his indigenous colour, or saying in spite of all the racist comments he has the guts to win. For Sam to get on radio and dog whistle to his racist base about this shows what a pathetic piece of s**t he is.

Worse case - Nicky Winmar was out there saying he played with guts, and it has been interpreted as he is proud of his skin.

That was a turning point.

It put a line in the sand to say we will not accept racism in AFL anymore. Whether it was the original intention or not is not the point. Every player in the AFL knows that was when things changed, that's when the line was drawn. It inspired kids all around the country, it gave grown men the courage to speak up and not put up with the crap anymore. He inspired thousands, it changed history for the better.

Why is Sam Newman trying now to debate this? What purpose does it serve to question Winmar's motives?

There are two reasons for Newman to push this.

He is a Racist
He is irrelevant and wants attention

Either way, he is human garbage.
This is the most rubbish comment I've read on here. Clearly hates Sam and will jump at the first opportunity to lay the boots in. If you'd actually listened to the podcast, the entire discussion involves Mick and Don. Sam barely spoke two words.

This is the most rubbish comment I've read on here. Clearly hates Sam and will jump at the first opportunity to lay the boots in. If you'd actually listened to the podcast, the entire discussion involves Mick and Don. Sam barely spoke two words.
Sams a racist prick that thinks it's funny to go around with a camera making fun of people with disabilities. Yeah I hate him, not sure why you wouldn't.

Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back