No wonder Matthews is such a pathetic coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by peruka
"Matthews, in todays competition, is the best Coach that is going around."
No love, that should say Matthews, in todays competition, is ALLOWED to be the best coach.....

......You people make me sick!

Nasty attacks aside...........

Matthews stepped into the Coaching role after the year we came last, 1998.

In 1999, we finished 3rd and this was with all of the same footballers.

He is a very good Coach.

As for the concession, it is Brisbane's money that is used, if they choose, to move families and the like to Brisbane, and it is all accounted for by the AFL Commission. Proof has to be presented that the concessions are for settling boys and it is not used for player payment.

I was under the impression that the salary cap was introuduced so 1 team doesnt dominate year after year. Now if the lions were brought back down to earth, then half that squad wouldnt be together. As the case at most other clubs. Now no doubting the lions are a awesome unit, but its cause has been helped by the AFL allowing them extra funds to keep players. And when was the last time the lions were investigated for the salary cap? I mean you have a player there who is on his last year of a 10 year contract, 3 brownlow medalists, most commanding backline and most influential midefield. Another thing, Akermanis is being linked with a move away from QLD, and where has his name popped up, of course sydeny as they are the only club that could afford to over pay their players, and esspecially over pay aker. It wont happen soon, but when this club is brought back down to earth with the rest of the comp, then we'll see how some of these idiots in here realise how hard it is to keep a squad together, and see what it feels like to be on a level playing feild.

I mean you have a player there who is on his last year of a 10 year contract,

Who is that?? I heard the verye nd of it on Talking Footy last night and was left wandering which player they were talking about.

I had never heard about this before now I've heard it twice in the space of about 12 hours :p

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Who is that?? I heard the verye nd of it on Talking Footy last night and was left wandering which player they were talking about.

I had never heard about this before now I've heard it twice in the space of about 12 hours :p

Lynch.

10 years at 100k a year.

A contract 'that size' both time wise and money wise was pretty well unheard of back then.

Lynch- when he crossed from Fitzroy all those years ago

Originally posted by Danni
Lynch.

10 years at 100k a year.

A contract 'that size' both time wise and money wise was pretty well unheard of back then.

ahhhh gotchya :)

they were saying last night people were calling them idiots for it, but in the end it was a top deal because he'd be on closer to 250-300K i reckon.

of course sydeny as they are the only club that could afford to over pay their players, and esspecially over pay aker.

...Ohhh, Brisbane and Sydney are the only ones to over-pay their players........ and this statement made with no proof.

...unlike Carlton, Essendon, and Melbourne.........where proof is available of over-payment to players in their history.

Now Black Thunder, if you were thinking like a dillusional lions supporter, then he would be on $100,000 a year that he signed 10 years ago when his market value was $450,000 a year. But going back 10 years, 3/4 of these lions supoprters wouldnt have known who Lynch was, let me take that back, 3/4 of these "modern" day lions supports wouldnt have heard of him 5 years, let alone 10 years ago.

I dont think you should take that comment seriously, rather than just touching on a weakness of the current system, where you finish 6th-10th consintently which means not only are you not getting any silverware, you aren't getting first crack at the best kids in the land.

Thats why I would like to see the lottery introduced into the AFL, where the for the first 8 picks, the bottom 8 teams get balls, 8 for 16th spot, 7 for 15th spot, 6 for 14th spot and so on and 9th spot gets just 1 ball.

The balls are picked out and that is the draft order for the first 8 picks. After that it is as it currently stands now.

After the first 20 picks, I reckon it is mainly just good drafting and a bit of luck as to how good the kid turns out to be.
The AFL are raffling picks 1 - 4 between the bottom 4 sides. I think it starts in this years draft. And if more then one side is elligible for a priority pick, they will get raffled too.

Originally posted by M29
Glad you noticed...

Others haven't caught on yet... stoc...

Fair enough, M29 . . . I don't read every post on here you know. Although, now that you've pointed it out, the intertextuality does pose somewhat of an amusing irony.

I still think there is some association between Dave and Sheedy however.

Now if the lions were brought back down to earth, then half that squad wouldnt be together.

Perhaps.

Although, in playing the devil's advocate, let's assume that we cut the likes of the following players in order to be "brought back down to earth":

D.White
C.Keating
M.Ashcroft
D.Bradshaw
C.McRae

Even taking these players out, which would easily see us under the "normal" salary cap, I'd wager that we'd still have been Premiers the last two years. This isn't saying it would have occurred in the same manner, as admittedly, our depth would not have been as good, nor as good now, but we'd still have our top-liners.

After all, you can hardly expect the club to give away it's better players - it would start by cutting those on excessive salaries, or those who were on the fringe.

I would not be overly fussed if the 'concession' was taken away. I can see points on both sides of the issue - it comes down to what pre-suppositions you are making in formulating your values. Likewise, there are just as many other inconsistencies which favour varying clubs at different times.

With that said, the end of this season, or the next, would be ideal for the 'concession' to be taken away. We've got quite a number of retirements coming up.

Gee brisgirl, of the clubs you have mentioned, which one's are on the same cap??

I would not be overly fussed if the 'concession' was taken away
Is this bigfooty or comedy central?

Now Black Thunder, if you were thinking like a dillusional lions supporter, then he would be on $100,000 a year that he signed 10 years ago when his market value was $450,000 a year. But going back 10 years, 3/4 of these lions supoprters wouldnt have known who Lynch was, let me take that back, 3/4 of these "modern" day lions supports wouldnt have heard of him 5 years, let alone 10 years ago.

I didn't exactly understand that comment, or the point you were trying to make aside from the fact current Brisbane fan's wouldn't have heard of Lynch back in the old days.

Possibly true in quite a vast number of cases. Same could be said for lots of teams though, I'ms ure veyr few Swans fans knew who Maxfield was when he was playing for Richmond but he is now skipper of the Swans.

But are you saying that 10 years ago Lynch's market value was $450K a year, cause that would be one of the more stupidiest things I've ever heard. That would be to suggest he was the best player in the league by quite a margin at the time, as I'd dare say someone like Ablett, Williams, Lockett or Carey wouldn't have been on much more than $200K a year if that at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Clackers69
The AFL are raffling picks 1 - 4 between the bottom 4 sides. I think it starts in this years draft. And if more then one side is elligible for a priority pick, they will get raffled too.
Isn't that just for the pre-season draft?

Originally posted by DaveW
Isn't that just for the pre-season draft?

I was under that impression as well :confused: but s/he did say that starting from this year's draft, so he/she may know something we don't, or something that wasn't picked up by many people.

Gee brisgirl, of the clubs you have mentioned, which one's are on the same cap??

Your original statement said of course sydeny as they are the only club that could afford to over pay their players,

Where is your proof of that statement? How do you know Sydney over pay their players?

We all know Essendon, Carlton and Melbourne over-paid their players, and have been caught.

Cap or not, Sydney and Brisbane have to play by the same rules as everyone else when it comes to player payments.

Cap or not, Sydney and Brisbane have to play by the same rules as everyone else when it comes to player payments
What are you on about? Dont you get it why us Vics are sick of these concessions you are getting? You and sydeney are allowed an extra $600,000 and $900,000 in your cap for the bull$hit reason of player retention. Do you understand what bull$hit means?? Your club is not as the same as everyone else. Youre club has something 14 other clubs dont have, an extra 2 or 3 sensational players on your list that the cap should have helped get rid of. What do you have to say for you people to finally GET IT?

Is this bigfooty or comedy central?

What, is that the best you can offer when your points are rebutted? I've always held the view, and likewise, if you've read my posts (such as my earlier one), you'll see that I've provided a reason(s) as to why.

Oh, and BigFooty might well be confused with monologue heard at Yoralla, if your comments were to be used as a guide.

Originally posted by BrisGirl
Your original statement said of course sydeny as they are the only club that could afford to over pay their players,

Where is your proof of that statement? How do you know Sydney over pay their players?

they are still paying for Nick daffy-thats over paying:D

Originally posted by BrisGirl
I always think of the Bulldogs when it comes to draft picks at the end of the year.

The Dogs, when Wallace was there, always went out to win. They haven't come last for many years, so in essence, they missed out on vital draft picks.
Wouldn't trade any of those finals appearances for better draft picks, but would trade 11th/8 wins for 15th/5 wins in a heartbeat. Some people may call that defeatist or symbolic of a culture which accepts mediocrity, but the way things are going under the current system, the fact is that without bottoming out, we will probably never have the talent on our list to become a premiership standard side.

Before last year, we hadn't had a draft pick earlier than #9 in over a decade - we've still managed to recruit reasonably well with what we've had, but what's killed us is that very rarely does an elite AFL quality tall last beyond pick 5. In the eighties/early nineties you could still manage to find a gun who's been overlooked, but with talent spotting and the draft process becoming so refined, snaring a superstar tall beyond the first few picks is becoming near on impossible.

Most of the elite talls in the comp - Lloyd, Reiwoldt, Gardiner, King, Darcy, Pavlich, Tredrea, Tarrant, Leppitsch, Gaspar, Ottens, Richardson, Lucas, Fletcher, J Brown, Whitnall, Rocca - were either taken with pre-draft priority/ top 3 picks, or with father son selections - other than Darcy, not one of these blokes has been available to us in any way, shape or form. If pride and battling to an 'honourable' 10th from here on in means the difference between the next Reiwoldt and the next Brent Grgic, give me a couple of less wins in an already forgetable year any day.

Originally posted by Westy_Boy
If pride and battling to an 'honourable' 10th from here on in means the difference between the next Reiwoldt and the next Brent Grgic, give me a couple of less wins in an already forgetable year any day.
As I say, we have a system which is an abomination to competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

No wonder Matthews is such a pathetic coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back