Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know at the moment it’s a minimum 12 days exclusion period, but I wouldn’t mind it if they pushed it out to 12 days from the end of concussion symptoms - that may mean an extra match or two missed, but if it is better for ones long term health than surely that’s the more important factor

That's another way of doing it, and not a bad idea.

Whichever way, action like this will demonstrate a stronger commitment to protecting the player, in line with the growing understanding of concussion and its side effects.

But the suspension of a player found guilty of inflicting the damage must be the same timeframe as a minimum, plus a week or two.

McKay slipped at a bad time but he was standing on his own for ages, old mate on the wing taking 7 bounces in 10m should have kicked it to him way earlier.
The Acres drop was bad, but he is 0% chance of getting a behind from what, 55m/60m?

And the AFL is happy that another Richmond/Blues stinker kicks off the season because it gets a big crowd in.

Riewoldt for Tigers looks pretty cooked to me.
Tarranto is decent, but think Hopper is pretty average. Tigers looked way faster than the Blues.
Thought the Blues still lack good overlap run, but think they have pretty good depth of ball hunters, and their spine looks decent. Thought Young played very well as a Key Defender. Hollands runs a lot, but needs a lot more size to have an impact.

Tarranto is decent, but think Hopper is pretty average. Tigers looked way faster than the Blues.
Thought the Blues still lack good overlap run, but think they have pretty good depth of ball hunters, and their spine looks decent. Thought Young played very well as a Key Defender. Hollands runs a lot, but needs a lot more size to have an impact.
Martin also looks very cooked to me considering the amount of rest he has had too

Martin also looks very cooked to me considering the amount of rest he has had too
Martin did well enough, did get caught a few times tho it's was just one of them meh games. hopper looked a little lost, He's got 7 years to figure it out tho. Riewoldt should of retired but his a club legend so goes when he wants. Overall I think Richmond "won" it. Said it before but blues B graders simply are not good enough. Folded under pressure again, how many close call lessons do they need?

Hopper's turnovers were horrendous - his kicking was really poor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could just imagine Gil watching this match and wincing. Carlton spent all night trying to lose the game while Richmond weren't good enough to win it. The Blues could barely string two possessions together all night while the Tigers needed a seeing eye dog to figure out where the goals are. The umpiring conspiracy on the you know what will gain steady ground as the umpires refused to buy the many Mayo Rolls on offer by the Tigers.

The Blues aren't good enough and the Tigers have bugger all depth. For two sides apparently ranked four or five by many pundits, they didn't appear to be that advanced in thier preparation. Watching Carlton slow the ball down brought back uneasy memories of our season two years ago and we all know how that ended.

An underwhelming opener so I'm hoping we see a real game tonight.

You could just imagine Gil watching this match and wincing. Carlton spent all night trying to lose the game while Richmond weren't good enough to win it.
While I think your summary of last night's game is pretty spot on, I do want to remind you that it is only Round One of the season and clubs often do look a bit crap in the first few weeks of the season. There was such a big build-up to this game (hype-wise) that it was always never going to live up to it.

Personally, my respect for professional athletes would be somewhat diminished if the risk was eliminated completely. Nobody wants to see guys struggling with life after footy, and for some it's pretty bad. Remember when Richo was losing his s**t with a microphone in his hand at a game because of all the head knocks he got? That was pretty scary. I totally get the players wanting some closure, but I'm also unsure what the AFL can do further. It's a contact game. The only other thing I can imagine them doing is making soft helmets mandatory, but even that wouldn't completely solve the problem.

My understanding is that the research shows that the soft helmets don't reduce the incidence of Concussion. So the AFL are between a rock and a hard place on that one.

I can see a future where players are required to be cleared by a medical professional before they are allowed to return to contact training, and then matches. They may scrap the minimum number of days off, because its not backed by the research and is arbitrary, but the in game concussion assessments are here to stay.

Will probably also cause many further rule and interpretation of rule changes to limit the kinds of acts on the field that are most likely to lead to a concussion. There will still be accidents, but the AFL will do whatever it needs to, to protect itself from future lawsuits. AFL isn't the same game that we grew up with these days. It's still very entertaining, maybe more so, but to say the game isn't different is just wrong. Whatever they change it won't change the fact that it is a high skill game with large teams of players working extremely hard physically. The spectacle will change but it won't be diminished.

It's why things like the bounce should be changed because it just diminishes from the spectacle when they have to recall it.

I for one am okay rule changes for these reasons. I know many aren't.

It's kind of messed up of me, but one thing that really floats my boat is feeding people a healthy diet of confirmation when they're already down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. Like, Richmond supporters are already several chugs through a bottle of Conspiracy Koolaid, and it would just be incredible to see them lose some close games this year in really controversial or dubious circumstances. There's always a couple of those games each year. One that springs to mind for me is when Blitz probably should've gone HTB against Brisbane in the dying seconds etc. I hope the Tigers are on the end of some of those games this year. Get the blood boiling down at Tigerland haha. The entertainment last year when Lynch kicked over the post was just beautiful.

And yet anyone who paid attention in year 9 maths knows that if the ball appears to be directly over the post from multiple angles that the ball would indeed have hit an infinitely taller post. So as a former high school teacher it brings me much sorrow.

Was going to ask if the commentary was any better than the Grand Final. Seems to not be the case.

That was one of the best first innings performances on the SCG. Selwood to Hawkins is like the modern day caught Marsh Bowled Lily.

What the **** sport does James Brawshaw think he is watching? He's terrible. The only person he's a better commentator than is BT.

Only watched the second half of Tigers v Blues but hands in back and a shove from Lynch was fine according to the umps and resulted in two of his goals one a marking contest one a boundary throw in.
Agree. I was thinking "Didn't they make it so games have four umpires now? So why are they still missing this crap."

And yet anyone who paid attention in year 9 maths knows that if the ball appears to be directly over the post from multiple angles that the ball would indeed have hit an infinitely taller post. So as a former high school teacher it brings me much sorrow.
I can't believe people in the media weren't backing the goal review. It was extremely clear cut.

Then again, feeding the tinfoil hat brigade more conspiracy fodder is highly entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back