Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've only just seen round one and I reckon the competition will be more even than it was last year but that the gap between Hawthorn and the rest of the comp has increased. Scary stuff.

You do both recall the Hawks played a GF in 2012, yeah? So they got their losing one in that year, and if they make it, this year will be their 4th GF in a row.
o_O
Read my post again Skoob. I said the Hawks need to win 3 in a row before they go for 4 in a row. I know they are going for their 4th consecutive grand final appearance this year.

Oh of course but it would be hilarious if Port do it again, that's all.

It would be better if Port did it to them in the prelim so we can enjoy not barracking for Port in the GF (which would be hard for some on here) and not worrying about whether the GF will be the 3peat or not!

Would be interesting to see if the Hawks dominance would have been challenged to a greater extent had GC and GWS not been in existence and drafts etc had not been compromised.

Fair enough, though the post you responded to mentioned Hawks making it to a 4th grand final.:thumbsu:
Yeah I thought he was referring to the Hawks potentially winning a 4th in a row and the ironic potential for Port to stop them and that is why I said the Hawks will need to win 3 in a row first:p Port didn't exactly stop us from making 4 in a row, they prevented us from winning 4 in a row.

Would be interesting to see if the Hawks dominance would have been challenged to a greater extent had GC and GWS not been in existence and drafts etc had not been compromised.

If you look at the challengers at the moment, it's unlikely any of those would have been significantly improved as they were largely at the top of the table during the expansion club's introduction, e.g. Sydney, Fremantle, Geelong. Port is the one exception there.

What it's done instead is make the rebuilding task for those clubs at the bottom during their introduction longer, e.g. us, Melbourne, etc.

If you look at the challengers at the moment, it's unlikely any of those would have been significantly improved as they were largely at the top of the table during the expansion club's introduction, e.g. Sydney, Fremantle, Geelong. Port is the one exception there.

What it's done instead is make the rebuilding task for those clubs at the bottom during their introduction longer, e.g. us, Melbourne, etc.

Port is the one current contender that I was thinking about but also the rest of the comp i.e. those middle tier to bottom tier teams. I think certainly the race to get into the 8 would have been much tighter. But I do legitimately think the Hawks' dominance wouldn't be as pronounced as it is but for GC and GWS.

I do agree with your last point. Its a painful exercise to do the calculations and figure out what players we would likely have running around in Lions jumpers if GC and GWS did not exist :(

Port is the one current contender that I was thinking about but also the rest of the comp i.e. those middle tier to bottom tier teams. I think certainly the race to get into the 8 would have been much tighter. But I do legitimately think the Hawks' dominance wouldn't be as pronounced as it is but for GC and GWS.

I do agree with your last point. Its a painful exercise to do the calculations and figure out what players we would likely have running around in Lions jumpers if GC and GWS did not exist :(
Its the clubs like Richmond who be pushing the hawks and co right now. The draft picks a few spots higher would have increased the quality at the bottom of their lists just a few %.

All it means that Hawks have lucked out in timing their time at the top to absolute perfection

I really like what Hawthorn have done with their list management. If you look at what they have done with their first round picks over the last few years they're more than willing to give them up for a high quality player that fills a need. If a player is not available, they take it to the draft like they did with Smith. Apart from Garlett they have been fairly well served with their second round picks bringing in players like Hill, Anderson and Hartung. Easy to get players to your club when your contstantly playing finals and it's a really smart way to keep your club at the top of the table rather than bottoming out by taking those picks to the draft and waiting for them to develop.

Port had done the majority of their rebuild prior to the introduction of the expansion teams in my opinion. Terrible coaching for a couple of years kept them artificially lower than where they should have been, but also allowed them to pump games into their high picks.

It will be interesting to see how long Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney stay down after this cycle of dominance or whether they are also in prime position to benefit from free agency in perpetuity just because they managed to time their ascent right vs the impact on equalisation...

The other question is what made the Eagles unable to capatalise at the same time? Are they the test case for a disintegration due to club cultural issues? Will we look back to the 05-06 era as a battle between polar opposites in terms of professionalism and club culture and use it as a cautionary tale to demonstrate the divergent paths? Then we see the battle between the team of superstars vs the highly disciplined and organised team that generated a change to the game prioritsing running power and defensive discipline over the freakish ability of individuals.

It really is incredibly interesting to look back over the last decade to see how much the game has changed and what the defining narrative will be for this period in 10 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? They have lost Franklin and about 3-4 other players to FA, and only picked up Frawley.

They have traded extremely well however to bring in Lake, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, etc

Add McEvoy and Gunston to that list of etc's. Unbelievable really. Not to mention when they brought Dew back and he helped them win a flag in 2008.

Add McEvoy and Gunston to that list of etc's. Unbelievable really. Not to mention when they brought Dew back and he helped them win a flag in 2008.

You're talking about trading there not Free Agency. As kisskiss said they've traded very well.

How? They have lost Franklin and about 3-4 other players to FA, and only picked up Frawley.

They have traded extremely well however to bring in Lake, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, etc
Also by other struggling clubs losing key players, on top of recent compromised drafts.

Taking longer then usual to get back to the top, makes Hawthorn's stay longer - same with Geelong of recent years.

I have a dim memory that I've whinged about this before, maybe last year.

Friday night is the big footy night of the week. It's the marquee timeslot, and it's something to look forward to.

So it's disappointing that this week is a pretty uninteresting game between West Coast and Carlton, particularly after Carlton's uninspiring performance last week.

Scanning through the first half of the year, it turns out that there's plenty of Carlton on a Friday night to look forward to: 5 of the first 9 Friday night games (including Easter Thursday) involve the Blues.

I don't think I'm alone in finding them a bit boring to watch. I know they have a big supporter base, but it really feels like a mistake from the AFL to feature that particular team on so many early Friday night games.

Other Friday night games include Collingwood v St Kilda in round 3 and Richmond v Melbourne in round 4. It doesn't really set the pulse racing.

Thankfully I can look forward to my Melbourne Victory boys delivering an old fashioned spanking to the Newcastle Jets this Friday night.

Scanning through the first half of the year, it turns out that there's plenty of Carlton on a Friday night to look forward to: 5 of the first 9 Friday night games (including Easter Thursday) involve the Blues.

That means a lot of Mick Malthouse vs Mark Stevens press conferences. I'm pumped!

I have a dim memory that I've whinged about this before, maybe last year.

Friday night is the big footy night of the week. It's the marquee timeslot, and it's something to look forward to.

So it's disappointing that this week is a pretty uninteresting game between West Coast and Carlton, particularly after Carlton's uninspiring performance last week.

I don't think I'm alone in finding them a bit boring to watch. I know they have a big supporter base, but it really feels like a mistake from the AFL to feature that particular team on so many early Friday night games.

Other Friday night games include Collingwood v St Kilda in round 3 and Richmond v Melbourne in round 4. It doesn't really set the pulse racing.

Thankfully I can look forward to my Melbourne Victory boys delivering an old fashioned spanking to the Newcastle Jets this Friday night.
I haven't examined the fixture that closely, but you're right. The other thing that bugs me is the allocation of games between pay and FTA TV. They want to grow the game by showing it of as a great sporting spectacle, yet other things seem to get in the way or they're not trying hard enough.
I recall a few years ago, must have been 2009, Saints and Cats had neither lost a game after 13 rounds. This was the game of the season, but only shown on Fox, while FTA had Bulldogs/Hawks.
These things shouldn't be left to chance, or luck of the draw.

They have finally made the fixture work in such a way that teams are matched up to some extent by how they finished the previous year, they should take the next step. I have thought, for about 10 years, that based on the previous year's final ladder, the first part of the year should have similar finishers face off. Back then, with 16 teams, I figured the top 8 should play the top 8 for the first 7 rounds, while the bottom 8 fight it out. It's only a third of the season, and provides a fairly even and interesting start to the year (on paper, anyway).

If the AFL really want to grow the game in QLD and NSW then yep absolutely they should be doing everything and anything in their power to get the best games on channel 7 up here, not 7 mate, preferably Friday at 7:30. Ever since Gold Coast have turned up most of the games on FTA up here are either GCS or Lions games. For the last few years all the average joe in QLD has seen of AFL is flicking the channel and catching the odd Gold Coast or Brisbane game, with a bunch of kids playing rubbish footy in greasy conditions in front of a few dozen people, and they flick to the next channel. If instead they'd flick over to channel 7 and get hit with the sound of 80,000 at the MCG watching 2 big Melbourne clubs at the top of the table play brilliant footy then guess what, they keep watching. Most people up here, even avid sports fans, wouldn't have a clue those calibre games even exist and would be blown away if they ever watched one. When they think AFL they think greasy fumbley footy, skinny kids, with crowds even smaller than nrl, and they don't give it a second thought. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

If the AFL really want to grow the game in QLD and NSW then yep absolutely they should be doing everything and anything in their power to get the best games on channel 7 up here, not 7 mate, preferably Friday at 7:30. Ever since Gold Coast have turned up most of the games on FTA up here are either GCS or Lions games. For the last few years all the average joe in QLD has seen of AFL is flicking the channel and catching the odd Gold Coast or Brisbane game, with a bunch of kids playing rubbish footy in greasy conditions in front of a few dozen people, and they flick to the next channel. If instead they'd flick over to channel 7 and get hit with the sound of 80,000 at the MCG watching 2 big Melbourne clubs at the top of the table play brilliant footy then guess what, they keep watching. Most people up here, even avid sports fans, wouldn't have a clue those calibre games even exist and would be blown away if they ever watched one. When they think AFL they think greasy fumbley footy, skinny kids, with crowds even smaller than nrl, and they don't give it a second thought. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
No-one's suggesting replacing Lions or Suns games, that would be insane, just better other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back