Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't be missed and sounds like the AFL needs a good clean out to put it in footy parlance.

Yeah, he's sure as shit done nothing for us and I couldn't care less if he goes. Additionally, the enema is long overdue in many industries. Hollywood has been overdue for about 8 decades. Although really this is all just rumours. Shouldn't be talking in definitives.

Saw one was hosting the Aus Open draw ... tennis? Seriously?

Makes as much sense as having Basil do the Hopman cup.

Get off television.
Frankenfurter doing the tennis now ffs ?!!

I read a rumour somewhere that he would be retiring... seemed for a sinister secret reason though.

Sinister? Interesting. I think regardless of the reason Swans will be happy if they can get him off the list early and pocket the cash.

Bit of a blow to their NEAFL team although he was pretty poor in the GF IIRC.

Sinister? Interesting. I think regardless of the reason Swans will be happy if they can get him off the list early and pocket the cash.

I don't think they will pocket much cash if anything, injury retirements aren't great for clubs. They will be feeling this in their cap for a few more years. As they should... that's the risk you take with audacious poaching moves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do "injury" related retirements count under the cap?

They can move as much as they can to a separate "injury payments" cap, and accelerate payments into years in which they have cap space, but it hurts. It's why we had Voss on our cap for an extra year at something like $1.2m after he'd retired.

I don't think they will pocket much cash if anything, injury retirements aren't great for clubs. They will be feeling this in their cap for a few more years. As they should... that's the risk you take with audacious poaching moves.

There was a fair bit of excitement around here when it looked like he was coming our way a few years ago.

Luckily he decided the bright lights of Sydney were more to his liking.

Dodged a bullet with that one.

Last edited:
Wasn't the AFL going to hold Sydney to Tippett and Buddies contracts - at least in terms of the salary cap - even if there was early retirement as part of their "punishment" for using COLA in bad faith?

Wasn't the AFL going to hold Sydney to Tippett and Buddies contracts - at least in terms of the salary cap - even if there was early retirement as part of their "punishment" for using COLA in bad faith?
Honestly the AFL was a joke when it came to the COLA debacle with Sydney. Sydney paid each player the COLA amount, if someone is willingly to accept unders to stay at a successful club then good on them. Next they'll tell the Vic and SA clubs their players have to be paid market rates and remove any outside sponsorships or TV gigs that increase their income. Clubs in traditional AFL markets have a massive advantage in that regard to the 4 clubs in qld and nsw.

The AFL said that about Buddy, but realistically it doesn't actually mean anything - if a player retires due to injury they get their contract value anyway and players rarely retire unless they're either uncontracted or injured. Buddy was getting that cash and it'd be accounted for one way or another, same as any other player.

Jake Lever on joining Melbourne:

"I can’t explain how much of a great decision it has been not only for my football, but just the off-field side of things"

"I guess when you make the decision the family always come into play, but it’s your mates and partner’s mates as well, as they don’t get to come over to Adelaide and see you like your family does".

“For me, to be back around best mates and my group of mates, it’s so good just to be able to go out and get a feed together"

Getting a feed with mates is now a legitimate reason for walking out on a club. How ridiculous.

Jake Lever on joining Melbourne:

Getting a feed with mates is now a legitimate reason for walking out on a club. How ridiculous.
So how about 17/18 you move away from your family and friends, be under pressure from day 1 and scrutinised like no one else and tell me how you’d feel.

Being able to spend time with friends would have played a part in his decision and people make that decision every day when it comes to where they work.

Why we hold footballers to a higher standard is ridiculous.

So how about 17/18 you move away from your family and friends, be under pressure from day 1 and scrutinised like no one else and tell me how you’d feel.

Being able to spend time with friends would have played a part in his decision and people make that decision every day when it comes to where they work.

Why we hold footballers to a higher standard is ridiculous.
Did you hold this opinion when the go home five off-season was unfolding? I don't think it is ridiculous at all. Adelaide drafted him with a high pick, rehabbed him after his ACL and then he walks out to be with mates in Melbourne. How is a team supposed to be successful if they lose players simply because they want to be with mates?

The fact Adelaide are perennial contenders is a huge compliment to their organisation, they've lost more players than us. But that does not mean 18 year old should become pseudo free-agents the moment they start missing their local $10 parma and pot specials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back