Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but that’s silly. They have the worst key defensive stocks in the comp and average 20 goals a game against them.

Just to name one, Jacob Blight could fill a hole. Even if it’s short term.

Just chaotic list management.

Yeah nah.

North are worth potting for alot of things but not this one.

Yes, they do.

This fallacy that North’s midfield is in any way complete, is absolutely ridiculous.

They’ve got some really good young kids in there. They do not have enough.

Agree but they already have a lot of mouths to feed. They’ve had to move Simpkin to a HFF role this year to fit in all the young mids.

Awful lot of people wanting North to trade their 1st pick out of the goodness of their hearts. An almost unusual burst of camaraderie and care for the club. Next Collingwood will be offering to give up their preferred scheduling and Gold Coast their free draft hits before the club that finishes last. Great to see some generosity and equitable spirit in the league.

Awful lot of people wanting North to trade their 1st pick out of the goodness of their hearts. An almost unusual burst of camaraderie and care for the club. Next Collingwood will be offering to give up their preferred scheduling and Gold Coast their free draft hits before the club that finishes last. Great to see some generosity and equitable spirit in the league.
You should've done that last year, when there were numerous talls in the top 10.

A good option for North would be to trade #1(assuming any takers) for a pick around #4, take Trainor and then use the latter picks from the trade to bolster tall stocks.

Not sure they'll have anyone even offering the farm this year though, as whilst Smillie looks the likely #1, he doesn't have anywhere near the hype/profile of Reid.

Otherwise, North should consider offering their F1st and trying to bring in Trainor that way.

Sorry, but that’s silly. They have the worst key defensive stocks in the comp and average 20 goals a game against them.

We picked up Toby Pink who was SANFL team CHB last year and he certainly doesn’t set the world on fire at AFL level. The state leagues aren’t a gold mine of ready made KP talent…

You should've done that last year, when there were numerous talls in the top 10.

A good option for North would be to trade #1(assuming any takers) for a pick around #4, take Trainor and then use the latter picks from the trade to bolster tall stocks.

Not sure they'll have anyone even offering the farm this year though, as whilst Smillie looks the likely #1, he doesn't have anywhere near the hype/profile of Reid.

Otherwise, North should consider offering their F1st and trying to bring in Trainor that way.
Nah. Thanks for your concern though.

Hard pass on trading a future 1st until we can be absolutely certain about it being outside the top 5.

Hard pass on trading a future 1st until we can be absolutely certain about it being outside the top 5.
Yeah but then you probably won't have any takers, unless it's to bring in an established player.

Of course, you need a taker for it to begin with. WCE tried to trade this year's to bring in Caddy but nobody wanted to trade.

In a few weeks time we'll have Logue, Comben and Corr, with K Dawson, Pink and W Dawson in reserve. Adding Blight to be the fifth or sixth best KPD was not necessary.

Meanwhile, we have no pressure forward capable of senior footy, so getting one at pick 1 makes more sense.

I've been highly critical of many list management decisions in recent years but they're on the money with this one.

“They have the worst…” extends beyond key defensive stocks.

There are holes everywhere.

Jacob Blight is a shiny new toy but the reality is he’s likely not as advanced as anyone they’ve got there already.

Are we going to ignore that North are dead last in I50s, contested possessions, ground ball gets, marks inside 50 and other key stats?

You could put prime Silvagni, Scarlett and Rance back there and it wouldn’t turn the tide.

But yeah let’s expect a 22 year old Jacob Blight to do it, I guess. Because……he’s tall!

Agree but they already have a lot of mouths to feed. They’ve had to move Simpkin to a HFF role this year to fit in all the young mids.

Sure, they’ve done that for a few different reasons though.

Certainly not because the midfield is “complete”.

I’ve heard the dreaded two words do the rounds again on radio for North.

A thumping this week and it could actually be rock bottom.

For once, I actually agree somewhat.

Would the AFL consider allowing North an extra soft cap allowance to get quality development coaches in?

Priority access to older state league players to provide any sort of competent leadership to their kids might also go a long way.

Would the AFL consider allowing North an extra soft cap allowance to get quality development coaches in?

Priority access to older state league players to provide any sort of competent leadership to their kids might also go a long way.
Yep unfortunately we are seeing an unprecedented low

5 bottom 2 finishes in a row

15 wins over 5 years

But yet no start of first round priority pick or even middle of first round pp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. Just let us keep the extra rookie spots I reckon.

If they're thinking of putting out the begging bowl yet again, just do the comp a favour and fold.

You've had a big fill of HQ largesse over the last three years, now you and your legendary coach just get on with it eh?
Tell me more about this “largesse”

If they're thinking of putting out the begging bowl yet again, just do the comp a favour and fold.

You've had a big fill of HQ largesse over the last three years, now you and your legendary coach just get on with it eh?
Todd Viney has said we won't, so you'll have to put up with us for a while yet.

And unlike previous years, there is precisely zero support for it amongst the supporter base.

Todd Viney has said we won't, so you'll have to put up with us for a while yet.

And unlike previous years, there is precisely zero support for it amongst the supporter base.

And that’s why I think it’s worth allocating to the club.

Development, development, development. You’ve got a lot of talent, they just need to be nurtured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back