Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure they would and we do have an early second, and we did draft 2 talls last year, Dawson 200cm and Goad 207cm. Dawson looks very promising managed 3 games and is still 18.
And Goad is rated, but will take 2/3 years to start to have an impact. Was that the correct call, who knows and time will tell.

Also Comben who I rate, should go fwd where he belongs for season 2025.

It isn't as poor as some think.

After 7 seasons of McKay maybe it has left me easily pleased. Another we missed all year is the big bodied Logue, not concerned on how others view him, but he will stiffen us up.

Dawson 201cm - 3 games 2024
Logue 194cm - 2 games 2024
Comben 199cm - 19 games 2024
Goad 207cm- 0 games 2024
Finnbar 198cm - 0 games on 2024
Key defence is poor in the short term, and it doesn't help when the #1 and #2 available of an already weak unit pretty much all year are the #2 and #5 or 6 on the list. And the #1 from the year before isn't around any more.

AFL would never have taken those picks back 😂
They should never have even given them to you in the first place. Can't just keep giving you guys priority picks every year until you're good, problems at your club are way deeper than some picks can fix.

Thanks P&P we have taken your feedback on board. Still wish we had the same access to PP's that the Hawks had, would have made it a much quicker turn around.

oh well

But in all seriousness, I am curious on how North Melbourne will do In the draft and trade period. I don't think North Melbourne will trade pick 2, unless one of the teams in the top 8 makes a tempting offer.

Maybe pick 2 for a pick 12, a 2025 1st rounder and a decent player aged 21 to 25 years old.

But in all seriousness, I am curious on how North Melbourne will do In the draft and trade period. I don't think North Melbourne will trade pick 2, unless one of the teams in the top 8 makes a tempting offer.

Maybe pick 2 for a pick 12, a 2025 1st rounder and a decent player aged 21 to 25 years old.

No way in the current climate is anyone offering enough for pick 2, you are talking at least one pick in the top 6-8 this year plus a guaranteed top 10 the following year for a club to even consider it. North have an early second, they can take a tall there. Take the best mid pick 2 (or best available).

There would be a few clubs loving to have those end of first rounders this season, especially for talls.

Whitlock, Faull, Mrat and Sims all should be around the mark.
North traded one of their 2024 end of first rounders for Stephens it's true, but they got 25 back. It was basically a pick downgrade from 19 to 25.

1726001394485.png

Fisher was traded for two of North's existing picks in the 20s it seems, receiving Pick 17 back from Carlton. On pure points it's another pick downgrade. It doesn't seem to have anything directly to do with their other priority pick....(?)

1726001493578.png

They traded their other priority 2024 first for a 2023 first, with Gold Coast

1726001740716.png

I get that "Duh huh, North wasted their two priority firsts on Fisher and Stephens" is a nice catchphrase. But it doesn't seem remotely as bad when you actually break it down.

Clubs just can't continue to seek draft concessions year after due to their own incompetence.
If North don't get their act together by the time Tassie start getting all the talent, then there needs to be real discussions about their viability.

Clubs just can't continue to seek draft concessions year after due to their own incompetence.
If North don't get their act together by the time Tassie start getting all the talent, then there needs to be real discussions about their viability.

The whole draft system is based on equalisation? Regardless of fault.

The competition had more competition with the existence of priory picks too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back