Game Day North vs Hawks, 4:40pm, Sunday, Shepparton

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
May as well crank up the new preview thread, only 6 days wait for this one.

I think there's going to be a very interesting in-battle this week.

Despite not many people thinking it, what I can garner from Bons comments, is there isn't as big a gap between Black and Wood as most people think.

He said post match both of them are coming in for this game, so competition for spots for that 3rd tall forward role will be very interesting.

Another thing I'd like to see tested, for at least half the game, is a two man ruck setup with Goldstein and Majak working off the bench and Majak resting forward at times, I'd like to see if there is genuine sustained improvement there on Majak's behalf.

Black has played a few seasons, Wood has played 1 game, that is the major difference. I think Wood has a higher ceiling than Black, however, most players do not reach their real potential so there is still a bit of an unknown as to how high he will reach at AFL level.

Black has played a few seasons, Wood has played 1 game, that is the major difference. I think Wood has a higher ceiling than Black, however, most players do not reach their real potential so there is still a bit of an unknown as to how high he will reach at AFL level.

Exactly, the gap isn't insurmountable, I'll ask a hypothetical.

What would the coaches mindset be if Wood has 20 and kicks 3 and Black hardly touches it?

Pre-season is a kick around, but trust me, performances matter at this time of year, especially when weighing up the relative merits of players of the same position.

Black and Wood have to come in. Maj needs to stay in.

Do we give Waite a rest, remembering that he has already had a month head start on the others? Currie out for Goldy.

Petrie needs game time. Seems Brown does too.

Maj, Waite, Petrie, Brown, Black and Wood. Too many to play in the one side even for NAB Cup.

Wright in for Warren. Goldy for Currie as mentioned. Spitta in for Cunners. Thompson for Mcmahon. Maybe Durdin for Neilson but not really fussed.

Rest Wells also. He's never really seemed to struggle for touch early in the year - one of the most natural footballers going around.

With only 2 more games in this preseason you'd want to get a few personell issues down pat next week ready for a mostly settled run against Richmond. As Pykie mentioned the Daw experiment is worth having, particularly with Brown coming from a long way back by the looks of things.

Black / Wood to be nutted out and we need to see a more traditional backline structure including Tippett / Tarrant around the rest of the "settled" backline.

Each player would have a set of KPI's during pre season games. For example, Wood might come in and be judged on some defensive work that he has been working on over summer. Black might get judged on how well he works with Waite in the forward line.

Marks, kicks and goals aren't that important in pre season games.

May as well crank up the new preview thread, only 6 days wait for this one.

I think there's going to be a very interesting in-battle this week.

Despite not many people thinking it, what I can garner from Bons comments, is there isn't as big a gap between Black and Wood as most people think.

He said post match both of them are coming in for this game, so competition for spots for that 3rd tall forward role will be very interesting.

Another thing I'd like to see tested, for at least half the game, is a two man ruck setup with Goldstein and Majak working off the bench and Majak resting forward at times, I'd like to see if there is genuine sustained improvement there on Majak's behalf.

So to intrude guys, I reckon Mason Wood will overtake Aaron Black for that third tall forward spot this year. I saw Wood in the VFL last year and he has a lot of potential. He leads well, is a nice kick from the set shot and can also win plenty of the ball.

I hope harper and Garner get a gig in this one, would also like to see fordham get some game time.

Full game for McKenzie

Atley to be given more centre square duties to see if he can get his hands on it more.

rest petrie and waite. give wood, black, majak, and brown an extended crack.

thomas can have a rest too for Nahas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to intrude guys, I reckon Mason Wood will overtake Aaron Black for that third tall forward spot this year. I saw Wood in the VFL last year and he has a lot of potential. He leads well, is a nice kick from the set shot and can also win plenty of the ball.
Woods def work needs work, but by golly he can kick.

no he wont, i can see them both playing with Wood pushing to the wing.

Exactly, the gap isn't insurmountable, I'll ask a hypothetical.

What would the coaches mindset be if Wood has 20 and kicks 3 and Black hardly touches it?

Pre-season is a kick around, but trust me, performances matter at this time of year, especially when weighing up the relative merits of players of the same position.

I honestly don't know given our club, it is not like our club is renown for rewarding form.

I think it was different when we were a young side and there were numerous positions up for grabs just by having a crack in the pre-season, in those situations a good pre-season was the ticket to a Rd1 position. I would be pleasantly surprised if they picked the best of Black and Wood based on pre-season form, but not expecting it.

History says Black will get first dibs irrespective of the form of both guys and if he stinks it up over the first 4-6 weeks and Wood is on fire in the VFL then the club would be tempted to act reactively, same deal when it comes to others like Bastinac, Adams and other recent underperformers and our chance for a top 4 will likely be dead if we trust 'runs on the board' instead of current form.

For us to pro-actively pick on form would be something we haven't seen in Scott's time and that would be a good thing as far as I am concerned if he started to do it. He talks about it all the time but he is more on talk, less on action. Either there are forces undermining him at the club or he just can't follow through with the captain obvious decisions that need to be made.

I honestly don't know given our club, it is not like our club is renown for rewarding form.

I think it was different when we were a young side and there were numerous positions up for grabs just by having a crack in the pre-season, in those situations a good pre-season was the ticket to a Rd1 position. I would be pleasantly surprised if they picked the best of Black and Wood based on pre-season form, but not expecting it.

History says Black will get first dibs irrespective of the form of both guys and if he stinks it up over the first 4-6 weeks and Wood is on fire in the VFL then the club would be tempted to act reactively, same deal when it comes to others like Bastinac, Adams and other recent underperformers and our chance for a top 4 will likely be dead if we trust 'runs on the board' instead of current form.

For us to pro-actively pick on form would be something we haven't seen in Scott's time and that would be a good thing as far as I am concerned if he started to do it. He talks about it all the time but he is more on talk, less on action. Either there are forces undermining him at the club or he just can't follow through with the captain obvious decisions that need to be made.
I'd rather we pick players based on how they fit in to the team structure and how they play according to their specific instructions AS WELL AS on form rather than on form alone.

It is clear that blokes like Levi and Wood have been able to get plenty of the pill at VFL level but have not been trusted to play the team game at AFL level over the last few years (up until 2014 for Levi). If Wood can prove that he can do that, then whoever out of he and Black is playing the best should play that hit up marking forward role. If he can't play the team game properly and stick to his job, then he can work on it in the twos until he is ready to do so at AFL level.

MAj looked in fine form yesterday. What are the chances that he actually starts round 1?

Brown, Wood, Black and Daw; damn it is nice to have some depth.

The odds would have to be firming from what I saw.

MAj looked in fine form yesterday. What are the chances that he actually starts round 1?

Brown, Wood, Black and Daw; damn it is nice to have some depth.

The odds would have to be firming from what I saw.
Odds not the only thing firming after his performance yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day North vs Hawks, 4:40pm, Sunday, Shepparton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back