Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit rich for NRL fans to criticise us for league bashing when this thread itself was started by one of you guys. As soon as Queenslander got wind of the regional ratings he scurried over here and tried to goad us. And its worked. He got the predictable response he was probably after.

It's like If I went over to leagueunlimited and started banging on about AFL dominance in terms of attendance, ratings, revinue etc. You would get the exact same thing.

So just let it happen I say. People who don't want to see it should just stay away from this thread. But for those who want to see the NRL lads get comprehensively rolled by those defending AFL then here it is. :thumbsu:

It's a bit rich for NRL fans to criticise us for league bashing when this thread itself was started by one of you guys. As soon as Queenslander got wind of the regional ratings he scurried over here and tried to goad us. And its worked. He got the predictable response he was probably after.

It's like If I went over to leagueunlimited and started banging on about AFL dominance in terms of attendance, ratings, revinue etc. You would get the exact same thing.

So just let it happen I say. People who don't want to see it should just stay away from this thread. But for those who want to see the NRL lads get comprehensively rolled by those defending AFL then here it is. :thumbsu:
QLDer doesnt speak for me, seems like knob (as most north of the border are)
But i think its ok to defend my sport from not so much the constructive criticism (eg why the **** we go on about ratings when our crowds are shit/have the best timeslot) than the bullshit written by a few people about 'thugby' types etc, the stupid shit.

Regional ratings are a placebo, they equate to nothing in the bank for a tv station and therefore when TV rights for the sport will be considered the regional viewership will = $0 for the NRL.

It was obvious that the Grand Final of NRL was going to outrate the AFL Grand Final.

- NRL Grand Final on at night (nught games always do better than day games).
- NRL was NSW vs Victoria (2 very high populations) while the AFL Grand Final was only Victoria vs South Australia.

Those two facts alone account for the difference it ratings.

That post hits the nail on the head.

The comparison is apples vs oranges. One game is in Prime Time featuring the Storm (guaranteeing a massive audience in Melbourne)

The other game is daytime featuring a Vic side and an SA side.

If the AFL Grand Final was, say Sydeny Swans vs Geelong and it was played at 7:30pm on a Sunday night, the ratings would reach 4 million in the capital cities alone.

If the NRL Grand Final was two Sydney teams playing on a Saturday afternoon, the match would barely reach 1.7 million in the capitals and would total no more than 3 million including regionals if they are lucky. If that. The last daytime NRL GF in 2000 (Roosters vs Bris. Broncos) only rated 1.8 million in the capitals, and that featured the broncos, who boosted the Brsbane ratings!

No wonder they switched to Prime time.

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/aba/newspubs/radio_tv/investigations/documents/general/anti_siphrpt.pdf

Any "apples vs apples" comparison between the AFL and the NRL always sees the AFL come out on top.

The NRL people love the "apples vs oranges" comparisons. They love them. It's because they are insular and insecure about their code, so they resort to selective "apples vs oranges" comparisons.

I like the idea of a night grand final for the rugby league. Works well for that code. Would hate to see the AFL version ever changing from the 2:30 start.

If you looked at sponsorship, tv ratings, merchandise sales, corporate sales, season ticket holders, you would realise the NRL is very strong in both NSW and QLD. Although NRL crowds are low compared to the AFL, the NRL still rates in the top 20 competitions for attendance worldwide. Good numbers, even if it's low compared to AFL.

If you looked at sponsorship, tv ratings, merchandise sales, corporate sales, season ticket holders, you would realise the NRL is very strong in both NSW and QLD. Although NRL crowds are low compared to the AFL, the NRL still rates in the top 20 competitions for attendance worldwide. Good numbers, even if it's low compared to AFL.

I remember reading a link to an article in the business review which compared the financials of both leagues. The AFL generates more than twice the cash as the NRL and banks a decent profit. League has no cash in the bank and hasnt the resources to spend like the AFL does. One game is big business and the other semi -professional in comparison.

I remember reading a link to an article in the business review which compared the financials of both leagues. The AFL generates more than twice the cash as the NRL and banks a decent profit. League has no cash in the bank and hasnt the resources to spend like the AFL does. One game is big business and the other semi -professional in comparison.

The NRL can improve a lot, no question. Just a lot of people in this thread are wrong, saying rugby league is going to die. Soccer will never pass rugby league in this country, or the AFL.

Knowing that the AFL is is aussie wide those figures must be very dissapointing for the AFL.

I always thought that Rugby League out-rated the AFL on television.... :confused:

You know, the NRL being such a TV game and dominant in 2 of the 3 most populous states. Also their Grand Final is played in prime time on Sunday, with the added ratings bonus of a Melbourne team in the final.

So not only does the AFL rate better than the NRL as a TV product, but their live attendance figures annhilate those of the NRL's. Makes you wonder what the fuss is about.

Does the phrase voting with their feet mean anything to you?

No? Oh well, have another Four-X.

Regional ratings are a placebo, they equate to nothing in the bank for a tv station and therefore when TV rights for the sport will be considered the regional viewership will = $0 for the NRL.

So why bother counting regionals then? If they are useless, why are they measured? So places like newcastle and Gold Coast, which have a million people between them, are only placebo ratings?

So why bother counting regionals then? If they are useless, why are they measured? So places like newcastle and Gold Coast, which have a million people between them, are only placebo ratings?

Corperate advertising doesn't work in regional centers because there is not enough people there to make the advertising feasible. Holden don't want to spend money advertising into Newcastle about there new ute when only 50 people want to buy one.

As for the reason why they count them it would be more applicable for local advertising such as a meal at the local pub, not for a Havery Norman store in the city. The local pub can't dish out big bucks that make a national TV stations profitable so the ammount of people watching in woop woop become irrelevant at the end of the day.

Corperate advertising doesn't work in regional centers because there is not enough people there to make the advertising feasible. Holden don't want to spend money advertising into Newcastle about there new ute when only 50 people want to buy one.

As for the reason why they count them it would be more applicable for local advertising such as a meal at the local pub, not for a Havery Norman store in the city. The local pub can't dish out big bucks that make a national TV stations profitable so the ammount of people watching in woop woop become irrelevant at the end of the day.

half a million people is woop woop. I disagree.

It's not surprising that the AFL kicks the NRL's butt in the ratings, rugby league is the worlds most boring sport. Why would anybody want to watch a bunch of fat, slow bogans chucking a huge ball backwards for 80 minutes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if AFL supporters went to the boring rugby forums and brang up this stuff then we get in the doghouse...
So what is happing with nancy boy, who started this thread?

It's not surprising that the AFL kicks the NRL's butt in the ratings, rugby league is the worlds most boring sport. Why would anybody want to watch a bunch of fat, slow bogans chucking a huge ball backwards for 80 minutes?

bit harsh... i'd like to see u call them fat, slow bogans to their faces...

i can assure u that nrl would have some of the quickest sportmen in australia... blokes such as bowen and slater and stewart

does israel folau, a mormon, look like a bogan to u... does he look fat? does he look slow... occasionally he does throw the ball backwards... but the rest ur wrong on

take a walk bud

You can just picture all the Thugby deadbeats huddling around their TV sets/computers/whatever gives them the ratings figures with their eyes closed and fingers crossed, waiting for the figures, saying 'please, please! PLEASE give us something to hold on to!'

I doubt it. I think you'd find most couldn't care less.

There's certainly no more fixation on ratings among league fans than there is among AFL fans.

Failure is relative. If the Hawks or the Pies had those numbers we'd feel we had failed, but for a rugby side those are great numbers.

Melbourne Storm are a relatively succesful club in a relatively unsuccesful comp. Good luck to them.

I think now RU is professional league wil die in the arse. In this country they're propped up by their media owner and pokies solely these days. Change the law on gambling or the owner of the league and it could be snuffed out at the stroke of a pen, and would only linger at a very dismal local level.

Fortunately Aussie rules has spread its bets over multiple media outlets: I was uncertain about the move to multiple outlets but it has kept an interesting level of competition. Footy has a reasonably strong urban and rural basis: its not perfect but there's still a decent local footy culture. I think if the AFL collapsed the 3 main regional leagues would rebound eventually.

I think the NRL is a very successful comp - fact is, AFL is a phenomenon in Australia, no sport can measure up to it in this country.

There is no actual measure for how "good" a sport is. People like different sports. It's amazing how many people cannot live with this. So many fans of various sports cannot handle just saying, "I like my sport, I do not like that other sport".

They have to say, "My sport is THE BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD, and that other sport is THE MOST BORING SPORT IN THE WORLD, and anyone who likes that sport is A MORON, because my sport is tougher/faster/more skilful/more popular/makes more money/has better-looking players/ had Shannon Noll/ had a strange flying woman/has Brazilians with weird haircuts and ONLY ABOUT FOUR PEOPLE ON EARTH LIKE YOUR SPORT ANYWAY, because your sport has points for missing/men with no necks/girlyboys who pretend to be hurt/Nazi war criminals".

Jesus Christ, get over it, everyone. Any rugby or league or soccer fans on the board who hate AFL, that means you as well as the AFL fans who hate the others.

There is no actual measure for how "good" a sport is. People like different sports. It's amazing how many people cannot live with this. So many fans of various sports cannot handle just saying, "I like my sport, I do not like that other sport".

They have to say, "My sport is THE BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD, and that other sport is THE MOST BORING SPORT IN THE WORLD, and anyone who likes that sport is A MORON, because my sport is tougher/faster/more skilful/more popular/makes more money/has better-looking players/ had Shannon Noll/ had a strange flying woman/has Brazilians with weird haircuts and ONLY ABOUT FOUR PEOPLE ON EARTH LIKE YOUR SPORT ANYWAY, because your sport has points for missing/men with no necks/girlyboys who pretend to be hurt/Nazi war criminals".

Jesus Christ, get over it, everyone. Any rugby or league or soccer fans on the board who hate AFL, that means you as well as the AFL fans who hate the others.

Fair point and well said.

I have actually been to a rugby league grand final a few years ago and to me it is second rate when compared to Australian Football, but I am sure there are many people out there that like both sports equally...and good on them.
Sports are there for our enjoyment and at times we take it all too seriously.

But to answer your question? if it was a question..
the only sport I am really interested in now.....after dipping my foot in the water with other sports...is Australian Football.

I guess one way you can look at it is if you want to see a sporting contest where you are amazed by skills then for me Australian Rules is the answer.
For others it may be volleyball, hockey or rugby league.

For me I could do this by comparing the AFL and NRL grand finals of 2007

2007 AFL grand final has at least 4 moments of sublime skill

1) ablett's steal and goal on the run - 1st quarter 18:51

2) Shaun Burgoyne's goal 1st quarter- burgoyne roves the pack and kicks a round the body goal.

3) Selwood's dummy around a port defender

4) Paul Chapman's screamer of a mark

I want to be uplifted by a sporting contest and on another point Ablett's goal vs Port in round 21? was one of the most uplifting moments of the season - skill, finesse, player dodges etc..just a fantastic thing to see.

NRL grand final

1) the Greg Inglis try was the only moment that lifted itself above the constant slog of seeing tackles or missed tackles for me, but you may be able to point numerous other examples. And even then one can see that type of run and fend off many times in AFL anyway - eg Chris Judd in the 2006 grand final.

Maybe I just can't see the finesse and skill in NRL for some strange reason and I only have myself to blame, but I have at least given League a try (no pun intended).

p.s - what is the game with the brazilians with strange haircuts?
I would like to see that one.:)

God all mighty I turn my head for two seconds and this thread blows out like the AFL GF on the weekend .:eek:

What amazes me is that if AR is truly Australian , then why does a game made in England kick your butts in the ratings for the last ten years?

Then again as a Queenslander I love the Rugby League and AFL ,but league will always be my first love .

Fair point and well said.

I have actually been to a rugby league grand final a few years ago and to me it is second rate when compared to Australian Football, but I am sure there are many people out there that like both sports equally...and good on them.
Sports are there for our enjoyment and at times we take it all too seriously.

But to answer your question? if it was a question..
the only sport I am really interested in now.....after dipping my foot in the water with other sports...is Australian Football.

I guess one way you can look at it is if you want to see a sporting contest where you are amazed by skills then for me Australian Rules is the answer.
For others it may be volleyball, hockey or rugby league.

For me I could do this by comparing the AFL and NRL grand finals of 2007

2007 AFL grand final has at least 4 moments of sublime skill

1) ablett's steal and goal on the run - 1st quarter 18:51

2) Shaun Burgoyne's goal 1st quarter- burgoyne roves the pack and kicks a round the body goal.

3) Selwood's dummy around a port defender

4) Paul Chapman's screamer of a mark

I want to be uplifted by a sporting contest and on another point Ablett's goal vs Port in round 21? was one of the most uplifting moments of the season - skill, finesse, player dodges etc..just a fantastic thing to see.

NRL grand final

1) the Greg Inglis try was the only moment that lifted itself above the constant slog of seeing tackles or missed tackles for me, but you may be able to point numerous other examples. And even then one can see that type of run and fend off many times in AFL anyway - eg Chris Judd in the 2006 grand final.

Maybe I just can't see the finesse and skill in NRL for some strange reason and I only have myself to blame, but I have at least given League a try (no pun intended).

p.s - what is the game with the brazilians with strange haircuts?
I would like to see that one.:)

I don't remotely object to people only being interested in Aussie Rules. But the thing is, Aussie Rules people don't see the skill in league and union, because they don't really know the games. And it works both ways; when I was younger I had a lot of trouble seeing what was so great about Aussie rules, but now I love the game, because I've had the chance to watch it at length. The NRL grand final had many moments of skill - whether it's a more or less skilful game than the AFL I can't really say - very different skill sets. When assessing Inglis's fend you do have to take into account that it's generally more difficult to escape from a league player's tackle than an AFL player - the nature of the game means tackling is not as tough in the AFL.

An example I might say is a run Billy Slater had where he shot through the Manly defence about 40 metres or so. Now, the run itself was just speed and athleticism - admirable, but not skilful, per se. But he was put through the gap by a pass by Steve Turner, and unless you're well-versed in the rugby codes, it would be hard to see just what a lovely bit of play that pass was.

But anyway, if people can't see the skill in league, I don't say it's their "fault" - from experience I know it's just hard to see past the surface of games you don't watch. And there's no reason you SHOULD watch 'em, if you don't want to. I just wish people wouldn't assume that their own opinion represents objective truth.

I should also point out that were I a frequenter of the rugby league boards, I would most likely be hammering the same points home to them - but in that case, more in defence of Aussie rules, because it is a great game, it really is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back