Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't remotely object to people only being interested in Aussie Rules. But the thing is, Aussie Rules people don't see the skill in league and union, because they don't really know the games. And it works both ways; when I was younger I had a lot of trouble seeing what was so great about Aussie rules, but now I love the game, because I've had the chance to watch it at length. The NRL grand final had many moments of skill - whether it's a more or less skilful game than the AFL I can't really say - very different skill sets. When assessing Inglis's fend you do have to take into account that it's generally more difficult to escape from a league player's tackle than an AFL player - the nature of the game means tackling is not as tough in the AFL.

An example I might say is a run Billy Slater had where he shot through the Manly defence about 40 metres or so. Now, the run itself was just speed and athleticism - admirable, but not skilful, per se. But he was put through the gap by a pass by Steve Turner, and unless you're well-versed in the rugby codes, it would be hard to see just what a lovely bit of play that pass was.

But anyway, if people can't see the skill in league, I don't say it's their "fault" - from experience I know it's just hard to see past the surface of games you don't watch. And there's no reason you SHOULD watch 'em, if you don't want to. I just wish people wouldn't assume that their own opinion represents objective truth.

I should also point out that were I a frequenter of the rugby league boards, I would most likely be hammering the same points home to them - but in that case, more in defence of Aussie rules, because it is a great game, it really is.

Fair points all round. I agree with a lot of what you say.

:thumbsu:

Who cares about NRL and AFL viewers for one match?

More people play soccer in this great country than both Aussie rules and Rugby league combined. That's a fact.

Soccer is the dominant sport accross all state's that's all that matters.

Highest viewed game on foxtel this year? anybody want to mention?

AFL grand final viewers this year compared to previous years? Anybody want to mention how feeble AFL viewing actually is year on year? It ain't growing.

More people play soccer in this great country than both Aussie rules and Rugby league combined. That's a fact.

AFL grand final viewers this year compared to previous years? Anybody want to mention how feeble AFL viewing actually is year on year? It ain't growing.

OMFG. Yet another tool signing up onto a Football forum only to come on and sling shit at it. Are you people for real? Or do you actually enjoy making total kn0bheads out of yourselves?

God all mighty I turn my head for two seconds and this thread blows out like the AFL GF on the weekend .:eek:

What amazes me is that if AR is truly Australian , then why does a game made in England kick your butts in the ratings for the last ten years?

Then again as a Queenslander I love the Rugby League and AFL ,but league will always be my first love .

Fact - The AFL has always outrated the NRL

This year has probably been the closest due to the AFL losing a Free To Air game to Pay TV now 4, and the NRL gaining a Free to Air Game now 3. You have to take into account that Free to Air Football rates at about 5 times that of Pay TV Football

Fact - The AFL has always outrated the NRL

This year has probably been the closest due to the AFL losing a Free To Air game to Pay TV now 4, and the NRL gaining a Free to Game now 3. You have to take into account that Free to Air Football rates at about 5 times that of Pay TV Football
????????

No it's not. In 4 states, Australian football has significantly greater playing numbers. 75% of all soccer players live in NSW and Queensland, the only 2 states that soccer is dominant (IRT participation).

Ratings according to the West Australian(up to Sat 29th).

For people who put a lot of faith in these things .

For Australia .
1. AFL GF 2007.
2.2007 AFL GF Wrap Up .
5.2007 AFL GF Pre-game

For Perth .
1. 2007 AFL GF.
2. 2007 AFL GF Wrap Up.
3. 2007 AFL GF Pre-game.
5.2007 Brownlow red carpet.
7. 2007 brownlow medal count

.:thumbsu:

WOW! A bunch of 8 year olds play soccer becaue their not old enough to resist their mothers insistance on playing such a sport. How the **** is soccer the most dominant sport accross all states?

Yeah, you tell them champ, tradition:

Kicking out Footscray and Fitzroy, North being shunted to Canberra/Sydney/GC,

Abandoning traditional grounds like Waverley so that all the Melbourne sides play out of 2 stadiums,

Rigging the draw so that crowds are artificially boosted,

Giving 'concessions' to Sydney and Brisbane so that they win comps (at the expense of shithouse clubs like yours) to try to convert 'Thugby' supporters,

More games pushed onto Pay.........I could go on and on.

Are you wearing tape around your head when responding?

You have little knowledge, and have attempted to grasp on what you think you know of our sport.

As someone correctly pointed out, Waverly isn't at all a traditional venue, so it's closure wasn't at the sake of tradition.

We made a decision in 1987 of including several interestate teams to make it a truely country wide competition because there were already existing competitions. When we started that, we kept the traditional VFL clubs. Once the idea of having a country wide competition, not entirely for the sake of dollars, but of having all country's clubs competiting rather than purely for State of Origin (because we had a problem of having 3 states competing not just 2), this always had an impact on the traditional VFL clubs. Simply, the competition couldn't have all 10 VFL clubs survive, and anyone who thought that was naive.

So Fitzroy going, Footscray renaming (hardly sacrilegde) and NM likely to relocate aren't entirely surprising.

I'm not forgeting South Melbourne's move to Sydney. This certainly was a push into another market, but was really quite idealistic in thinking that since the sport gained interest in most states, surely it was attractive enough to attract some Sydeny people to secure a foothold. Unfortunately, there wasn't the modern concepts of controlling the media then; of brainwashing locals.

Look, I'm not gonna say that the AFL is a pure sport, but I will say, that for every insult of our code, I could come up with 10 for NRL.

Put simply, NRL is corrupt to the bone, and has absorbed the Gridiron framework, to be almost identitical. You can blame CH9, but we can also blame them for giving us that tinge whilst they had the rights. Oh yeah, that's right, Foxtel's rights to AFL somehow coincided with that.

Go on and on, and I, and others, will comeback with ten fold for NRL's blights.

All these numbers bandied around, but of all these things like people watching tv, attending, playing and membership; if you add all these up it comes up with 1 thing - A SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER PROPORTION OF AUSTRALIANS ARE MORE INTERESTED IN WATCHING AFL.

I watched my first ever NRL GF last week, only because it was at night and on prime time with a few tinnies under the belt. And to be honest it's good to see a bit of physical contact in a game...something lacking in the AFL these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TV ratings-

NRL - 2.48 million
AFL - 2.56 million

Blame Geelong and Port. Worst grand final in modern history.

Hicksville played the poor mans collingwood. Gripped the northen states. Vlad the Inhaler has just been taught a valuable lesson. No Bloods or Brissie and the AFL ratings go down quicker than a drug deal in a west coast dressing shed.

I don't remotely object to people only being interested in Aussie Rules. But the thing is, Aussie Rules people don't see the skill in league and union, because they don't really know the games.......

Played both Union and League because there was no aussie rules option available when i came to Sydney from Melbourne.

I can honestly say i STILL dont see much skill in either League or Union..as in all sports i enjoyed the team aspect and its good to play other codes but i wont pretend it was very skilfull.

The halves are generally skilful footy players with ball handling skills but once u get away from those guys the actual skill level required isnt much. For a lot of slots the coaches simply dont require skill. Its more about technique than skill for 90% of what u do on the ground...and that comes from repetition training and slog.

Wont be very popular but thats just the way i found it and nothing has changed.

For a lot of slots the coaches simply dont require skill. Its more about technique than skill for 90% of what u do on the ground...and that comes from repetition training and slog.

Is that really so different from football? It's not like players run around taking screamers and kicking 50m bananas every thirty seconds.

Is that really so different from football? It's not like players run around taking screamers and kicking 50m bananas every thirty seconds.

Very much so.

I found that actual footballing skills werent that important in more than about 1 or 2 blokes per team in both rugby codes...not half as important as simple commitment. Many teams i played in simply had one decent skilled footballer and ball handler and he would invaribly play halfback or fiveeighth. Good teams too. The forwards simply made up of blokes bigger than the average with fitness...coaching on good tackling technique and the basics of how to actually carry a ball arnt exactly rocket science and requires no actual footy talent whatsoever....just a bit of practice.

You wont agree of course but there are countless blokes that have gone from U10's through to NRL as a forward without ANY actual SKILL as long as u are made of the right stuff and are totally committed. That just cannot happen in our game.

In Rugby code circles they think of "talent" or "skill" as something different. If a bloke is used as a battering ram for a season and passes twice in 20 matches all he needs to do is made huge meterage and break a few lines and they call him "talented forward"...i dont call that skill or footy talent.

Are you wearing tape around your head when responding?

You have little knowledge, and have attempted to grasp on what you think you know of our sport.

As someone correctly pointed out, Waverly isn't at all a traditional venue, so it's closure wasn't at the sake of tradition.

We made a decision in 1987 of including several interestate teams to make it a truely country wide competition because there were already existing competitions. When we started that, we kept the traditional VFL clubs. Once the idea of having a country wide competition, not entirely for the sake of dollars, but of having all country's clubs competiting rather than purely for State of Origin (because we had a problem of having 3 states competing not just 2), this always had an impact on the traditional VFL clubs. Simply, the competition couldn't have all 10 VFL clubs survive, and anyone who thought that was naive.

So Fitzroy going, Footscray renaming (hardly sacrilegde) and NM likely to relocate aren't entirely surprising.

I'm not forgeting South Melbourne's move to Sydney. This certainly was a push into another market, but was really quite idealistic in thinking that since the sport gained interest in most states, surely it was attractive enough to attract some Sydeny people to secure a foothold. Unfortunately, there wasn't the modern concepts of controlling the media then; of brainwashing locals.

Look, I'm not gonna say that the AFL is a pure sport, but I will say, that for every insult of our code, I could come up with 10 for NRL.

Put simply, NRL is corrupt to the bone, and has absorbed the Gridiron framework, to be almost identitical. You can blame CH9, but we can also blame them for giving us that tinge whilst they had the rights. Oh yeah, that's right, Foxtel's rights to AFL somehow coincided with that.

Go on and on, and I, and others, will comeback with ten fold for NRL's blights.

All these numbers bandied around, but of all these things like people watching tv, attending, playing and membership; if you add all these up it comes up with 1 thing - A SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER PROPORTION OF AUSTRALIANS ARE MORE INTERESTED IN WATCHING AFL.

The only tape that I can see is the strip covering your eyes.

You are the one that said that AFL looks after its traditions, I showed you that just like any other major sport they have sold out to the almighty dollar. That is not a criticism, it is just the way it is. In terms of Waverley, nitpick all you want, you know the point I was making.

I look forward to you coming onto this board and explaining to me why moving the AFL GF to a night game is not stuffing your traditions. It is a laydown misere that it will happen before the end of this TV contract. I think that the NRL night GF stinks, and so will you when the AFL does the same.

No it's not. In 4 states, Australian football has significantly greater playing numbers. 75% of all soccer players live in NSW and Queensland, the only 2 states that soccer is dominant (IRT participation).

Let me get this right b/c there are figures that clearly contradict what you are saying.

What football code do you think is most played by most Australians? rugby, Aust rules or soccer?

The AFL grand final was sssooooo borrrriing and is a slap in the face for anybody on this forum claiming AFL is the most exciting game in the universe. Let's face it - the game was over at quarter time. It was more boring than NRL grand final and the A-league grand final. At least in soccer the game can still be won up to the last minute.

At least in soccer the game can still be won up to the last minute.

But most likely drawn or worse still, 0-0.

Grand Finals are not a great showcase. The psychology is such that they often break open, only rarely are they close.

Preliminaries are probably better that way. The game is such that get a run on and you can completely turn a game. And if you want to contest, you can force turnovers. It can be sometimes, but it usually isn't keepings off kick to kick BS like soccer.

Let me get this right b/c there are figures that clearly contradict what you are saying.

What football code do you think is most played by most Australians? rugby, Aust rules or soccer?

The AFL grand final was sssooooo borrrriing and is a slap in the face for anybody on this forum claiming AFL is the most exciting game in the universe. Let's face it - the game was over at quarter time. It was more boring than NRL grand final and the A-league grand final. At least in soccer the game can still be won up to the last minute.
I agree Soccer & Rugby League are the most exciting games on this planet,and also one thing that these two codes have is rules!!Unlike AFL which hardly has none ,and you get one point for missing give me a break lol.:D

I agree Soccer & Rugby League are the most exciting games on this planet,and also one thing that these two codes have is rules!!Unlike AFL which hardly has none ,and you get one point for missing give me a break lol.:D

Excitment isnt a word i would use the describe Rugby League. If i had to pick a word i would have to go for either "repetitive" or even "boring".

Remove this Banner Ad

Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back