Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt the NRL would fold, but a fair proportion of the clubs would not be able to compete the way they are now financially. If there were no pokies I think within 5 - 10 years about half the clubs would be facing extinction.

With no pokies the NRL would not look the same it is now; the clubs would be only able to pay players a lot less than what they get now and there would be an exodus of talent overseas. The Australian competition would become second rate.

Rugby is also facing a big challenge from soccer; I would not be surprised if in 10 to 15 years time soccer overtook league as the second biggest winter sport in the country.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hey champ, Football is played in the Summer now. Maybe if you took off your insecure blinkers, you may have noticed that this has been the case for a few years now.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hey champ, Football is played in the Summer now. Maybe if you took off your insecure blinkers, you may have noticed that this has been the case for a few years now.

Should rephrase that: soccer will overtake league as the second most popular football code in the country.

And the players in league still fall over to score.

Should rephrase that: soccer will overtake league as the second most popular football code in the country.

I think you're wrong. I think soccer will overtake thugby as the 2nd biggest code in the next 10 - 15 months.

Both still infinite miles behind Football, though....

How do they measure the numbers?

I mean everyone gets around to watch the AFL together. I don't know anyone over here who would have bothered for the Rugby and thats with them having a public holiday the next day. I mean if it's just TVs then you can add 37 to the number if all my mates and myself just watched it alone and thats just one of many houses isnt it.

Also... Victorians were all going to watch the AFL regardless of who is in it, not the same for NSW and QLD who both gave up on their teams when they stank it up all year I'm sure. Then you have VIC in the game which helps a lot, casual becomes a little more than that when they actually have a reason to care.

Plus... Port are basically the least popular team in the league, Geelong aren't exactly a big pull either.

That ratio carries through in all comparisons. Player Salaries, Revenue, TV rights, etc, etc.

Still waiting for you to back up talk on salaries. Also, the NRL TV rights went for $500 million. If your latest bullshit claim was true then the AFL rights would've had to of been bought for over $1.1 Billion. They weren't.

You may believe your lies. No one else does as they can all be proven factually wrong.

The AFL won’t be disappointed but unfortunately they will be determined – to have a night GF. If you don’t think the networks are itching for it then you don’t think. I hope it never happens. On the weekend we had about 20 people at a BBQ. On Sunday night that probably turned into 3 - 5 TV’s watching the NRL GF. After the AFL GF Geelong had a Sunday with their fans after having their own celebration Saturday Night. The fans went ape from Saturday night to Sunday night. After the NRL GF the Storm had a Weekday function at Fed square. That’s fine unless you have a job.

I pray the AFL don't destroy the GF BBQ but I fear they will soon enough.

Put simply the collection organisation places boxes in selected households across each TV market and determine the data similar to a poll/survey.

Don't have the exact numbers on me, but from memory the bigger markets like Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Northern NSW and Perth use a few hundred boxes in their respective markets.

In rough terms, the viewing habbits of an individual household are made to represent the habbits of another 10,000 or so, similar to a poll/survey as mentioned.

Houses with collection boxes are apparently selected as a result of meeting strict criteria.

So as you can see its certainly not the most accurate way of measuring things, buts its all we've got.

From an advertisers perspective its good enough to get a rough idea on how various programs rate. But for a stupid pissing context like this where accurate numbers would be ideal, it doesn't quite suit. Which is why the sane amongst us don't bother with them.

Both games has massive audiences on the weekend and that's great for both of them. Fighting over who got an extra 50K here or 100K there is just time-wasting and childish though given the nature of the source at hand.

The AFL won’t be disappointed but unfortunately they will be determined – to have a night GF. If you don’t think the networks are itching for it then you don’t think. I hope it never happens. On the weekend we had about 20 people at a BBQ. On Sunday night that probably turned into 3 - 5 TV’s watching the NRL GF. After the AFL GF Geelong had a Sunday with their fans after having their own celebration Saturday Night. The fans went ape from Saturday night to Sunday night. After the NRL GF the Storm had a Weekday function at Fed square. That’s fine unless you have a job.

I pray the AFL don't destroy the GF BBQ but I fear they will soon enough.

I really don't care. The only thing stopping it is just close-minded/conservative traditionalism. If putting it on at night means even more people watching the greatest game in Australia, and the world, then bring it on....

I really don't care. The only thing stopping it is just close-minded/conservative traditionalism. If putting it on at night means even more people watching the greatest game in Australia, and the world, then bring it on....
There is a point where additional detached viewers bring little but rating and therefore price to the table. I don’t mind the AFL getting more money for the rights but there is no point dressing it up as selling the game. The additional viewers aren’t buyers they are window shoppers and tyre kickers.

Australians aren't that different. All over the country we love our sport. The Rugby League Grand Final is as big a deal in Sydney as the Australian Rules Grand Final is in Melbourne. Grand Final parties are a long-standing tradition in both cities. Aussie Rules does have a greater hold on Melbourne's psyche throughout the regular season than Rugby League does in Sydney. There's still more passion for League north of the border than there is for any other sport, but it's not drummed into people from birth like it is in Melbourne. That's the way it is - but it doesn't make anyone's sport or anyone's city superior. The point is that Rugby League presents no threat to Aussie Rules in the southern states and Aussie Rules presents no threat to League in the northern states. But they're both great sports and both large parts of Australia's sporting culture. We should always remain loyal to our first love, but it's very rewarding if you start to embrace the 'other code' as well.Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australians aren't that different. All over the country we love our sport. The Rugby League Grand Final is as big a deal in Sydney as the Australian Rules Grand Final is in Melbourne. Grand Final parties are a long-standing tradition in both cities. Aussie Rules does have a greater hold on Melbourne's psyche throughout the regular season than Rugby League does in Sydney. There's still more passion for League north of the border than there is for any other sport, but it's not drummed into people from birth like it is in Melbourne. That's the way it is - but it doesn't make anyone's sport or anyone's city superior. The point is that Rugby League presents no threat to Aussie Rules in the southern states and Aussie Rules presents no threat to League in the northern states. But they're both great sports and both large parts of Australia's sporting culture. We should always remain loyal to our first love, but it's very rewarding if you start to embrace the 'other code' as well.Cheers.

There is no way the League final is as big a deal in Sydney as the Rules one is in Melbourne. Having been to both and been in both cities leading up to the respective finals, the Rules one has it all over the League one. All over.

I don't know why the above post isn't in paragraphs. I tried editing it but it just keeps going into block form. I know how annoying it is trying to read a post that's not paragraphed. Cheers.

LOLOLOL... This coming from a supporter of a code which rewards Incompetence with a point:confused: HAHAHAHA.

I mean everyone gets around to watch the AFL together. I don't know anyone over here who would have bothered for the Rugby and thats with them having a public holiday the next day. I mean if it's just TVs then you can add 37 to the number if all my mates and myself just watched it alone and thats just one of many houses isnt it.

Also... Victorians were all going to watch the AFL regardless of who is in it, not the same for NSW and QLD who both gave up on their teams when they stank it up all year I'm sure. Then you have VIC in the game which helps a lot, casual becomes a little more than that when they actually have a reason to care.

Plus... Port are basically the least popular team in the league, Geelong aren't exactly a big pull either.

It's a tradtion for everyone i know to watch the RL GF in a group... Either at a pub/club or BBQ at home. I went to the GF and i support neither team, had a great night too! LOLOL PLUS Manly are the most hated team in Sydney, outside of there Northern Beaches heartland they draw zero support.

Stupid points/arguments mate, look outside your one eyed goggles.

LOLOLOL... This coming from a supporter of a code which rewards Incompetence with a point:confused: HAHAHAHA.

It ads to the interest of the scoring. Could come down to any score, unlike soccer that barely leaves 0-0 or 1-0. Boring scorecards, boring game, played by pansies who dive constantly.

Oh, and have you ever tried to kick an oval ball from hand to foot instead of just a round ball off the ground...it's a little harder to do numbnuts.

It ads to the interest of the scoring. Could come down to any score, unlike soccer that barely leaves 0-0 or 1-0. Boring scorecards, boring game, played by pansies who dive constantly.

Oh, and have you ever tried to kick an oval ball from hand to foot instead of just a round ball off the ground...it's a little harder to do numbnuts.

LOL I kick a oval ball all the time, RUGBY LEAGUE BALLS.

Football is the world game... AFL is the prefered sport of a few states in Australia (Half the population).:thumbsu:

That's ok though mate, i'll give you one point for trying HAHAHAHA

My God you are lame.
Go to a game for once rather than watching it on tv....tell that to the rest of the RL "supporters" too.

I'm a season ticket holder for the Bulldogs... Went to all home games in Sydney + all away games in NSW (Excluding one due to the flu) + Melbourne game at Olympic Park... Also went to the Origin, GF + 7 other games not involving my team.:)

I also went to 3 Football games (Including the Socceroos games in Sydney) and counting... AFL games i've been to in my life = ZERO!:thumbsu:

I'm a season ticket holder for the Bulldogs... Went to all home games in Sydney + all away games in NSW (Excluding one due to the flu) + Melbourne game at Olympic Park... Also went to the Origin, GF + 7 other games not involving my team.:)

I also went to 3 Football games (Including the Socceroos games in Sydney) and counting... AFL games i've been to in my life = ZERO!:thumbsu:

Then why did you join a Australian Rules Football forum if you dont even like the sport?

There is no way the League final is as big a deal in Sydney as the Rules one is in Melbourne. Having been to both and been in both cities leading up to the respective finals, the Rules one has it all over the League one. All over.

It's a one-week thing.

Melbourne looks forward to the GF all year. It's bursting for it to come. It's in the blood. But Sydney gets up for it in a big way too. It's like the Melbourne Cup. People may not show a great passion for horse racing throughout the year, but that one day is a very big deal.

Mind you, I might be living in the past somewhat. The buzz around Sydney probably isn't as strong as it was pre-Super League. But it's still darn big. Obviously, the buzz in Melbourne is as strong as it ever was.

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back