Opinion Obligatory "How we'll go in 2014" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we're a bit of an unknown quantity. We've lost a lot of experience and class this year due to trades/delistings/retirements and that will hurt us. But the senior players that are still at the club still have the capicity to change games (Montagna, Roo, Lenny, Steven) and I expect natural progression from many of our kids. Similarly, our defense simply can't be worse that it was this season and with Bruce and Delaney we have the ability to match up with most teams attacks. I think we will certainly be capable of winning 6+ games, but for our long term benifit I think we'd be better off to finish bottom 3 and have the potential to gain a priority pick. But maybe that's wishful thinking. By the way, I'm not suggesting we tank

I've mentioned on another thread but couldn't be bothered to try and find it so will repeat:

Who will we go past and who will drop down below us? The answer to that will determine where we end up. I don't think Melbourne and GWS will go past us and potentially Brisbane will drop although one game v Brisbane is in NZ for ANZAC day. The number of games against bottom 6 sides will help though.

So based on above I think we will be bottom 5

We can easily finish bottom 4, maybe even bottom two, but personally I think we have the potential to do better based off the picks we've made in the offseason.

Teams I think we'll beat, even away: Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane. If we verse these teams twice each, that's 6 wins. Then you have a few teams in limbo, in the dons, Crows, WCE and dare I say, the pies? If we could win half our games against those four that 8 wins.

So i predict anywhere between 6-9. But something tells me we can break into low double digits afterall I am a bit of an optimist ;)

I'd like to have a season like the Dogs' this year. They were competitive, and got a few upsets in, but still got a very good draft pick.
Everyone forgets they got beaten by Melbourne. :oops: But yeah Doggies supporters would be rapt with their year.

Backline should improve massively. 2 KP's allows Fisher/Gwilt/Dempster/Gilbert to return to the chop out/rebound roles they excel at. Huge for us. Won't be bleeding goals as bad, and delivery out of the backline should improve.

Midifield. Dal loss will be pretty monumental in 2014 because the tag will move to Montagna/Steven, doubt we'll replace/find another 20 possessions a game. Even if we nail the draft and get some instant service from whoever we get, we won't see overall improvement in this unit until 2015. Better service from the ruck contest will help our cause, but overall we'll slide in this area once again next year before rising the following year.

With our ins (and outs), I expect us to hold position, +/- 1 spot.

Kinda need the draw to really make a guess (and even then, this will only ever be a guess) but: I don't think there is much of a chance of us finishing above 16th next year.

Our team will most likely be younger and more inexperienced which will make us more inconsistent. Some players will be played out of position to help them develop which will add to this. Our aging senior players (Lenny, Roo, Fisher, Schneider) might not play the whole year and/or could slow down more than we expect.

The draw might be easier than last year but I don't see any other teams falling below our current levels. The Dogs should improve on their form from the end of the season and win more games because of that. The Lions lost 5 players but combined they only played 40 senior games this year so I don't think their short term loss is as bad as some are making out to be, they still won 5 more games than us this year and beat us by 31 points. Adelaide will get Walker back and also won 5 more games than us. Essendon is clearly better than us and if they get a bunch of bans it hardly matters because they wont get a first round pick if they finish below us. West coast will also get an easier draw than they probably should have and their injury issues should be mostly solved by next year.

Melbourne and GWS are the only teams I see us really having a good chance at beating next year but they should both improve, it is just a matter of how much they improve and if we stay the same or drop down a bit.

We won 5 games this year but only had won 3 up until the last 2 rounds where we played a Gold Coast team that was slowing down after a long year and Freo gifted us a win by letting us play their 2nds team. We also got lucky in the Carlton game when they had a lot of injuries during the game. We were competitive in some games this year but generally not for 4 quarters.

Our defense will be better next year but they will still be getting used to playing with each other and will still be under pressure as our midfield might still be poor compared to a lot of teams. We might cause a few upsets when all the kids play a good game, but this inconsistency might lead to us suffering an upset or two as well.

What I am looking for next year is clear signs of improvement in the young kids and maybe a few future stars starting to shine. We need to be competitive and not get thrashed every game because that wont teach the kids anything, but I expect the win/loss rate to suffer as the club rates developing players over winning games. If we see the improvement in the kids I think that next season will be a win regardless of how many teams we beat on the score board.

Everyone forgets they got beaten by Melbourne. :oops: But yeah Doggies supporters would be rapt with their year.

Backline should improve massively. 2 KP's allows Fisher/Gwilt/Dempster/Gilbert to return to the chop out/rebound roles they excel at. Huge for us. Won't be bleeding goals as bad, and delivery out of the backline should improve.

Midifield. Dal loss will be pretty monumental in 2014 because the tag will move to Montagna/Steven, doubt we'll replace/find another 20 possessions a game. Even if we nail the draft and get some instant service from whoever we get, we won't see overall improvement in this unit until 2015. Better service from the ruck contest will help our cause, but overall we'll slide in this area once again next year before rising the following year.

With our ins (and outs), I expect us to hold position, +/- 1 spot.

Yeah, I must admit I was surprised how close the scorelines were in a lot of their games with teams below and around them when I was looking at their results just before. I think one of strengths recently has been dominating games we should dominate, so hopefully we go down that path.

I've mentioned on another thread but couldn't be bothered to try and find it so will repeat:

Who will we go past and who will drop down below us? The answer to that will determine where we end up. I don't think Melbourne and GWS will go past us and potentially Brisbane will drop although one game v Brisbane is in NZ for ANZAC day. The number of games against bottom 6 sides will help though.

So based on above I think we will be bottom 5

'Yep! Couldn't agree with me more on that one!' (Thanks Richie!) :p:D

Two key defenders and being more competitive in the ruck will help enormously. At least now the ball shouldn't be going into our backline like an avalanche anymore. Losing Dal hurts because now the tag will go to Steven but if guys like Curren, Newnes and Ross can step up and have similiar seasons to what Steven had in 2011, along with a full season from Schneider then we might surprise a few, but yeah I can't see us getting out of the bottom 4.

Like a few have already mentioned if we can have a season similiar to the Dogs last year where they were competitive in most games and had a strong finish to the year that would be ideal.

Don't get me wrong, but bottom 4 again IMO. Not because we traded poorly, but purely because I reckon they will rotate the kids through on a weekly basis again to give them all game time.

I anticipate a core 16 players and the next 6 being rotated accordingly. Would expect Curren and Newnes to cement a regular spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm predicting a bottom six finish, definitely no higher. Would be surprised if we get the spoon, and would be surprised if we finished sixth last - but both possible IMO.

But I'm much more interested in, firstly, stability from the administrative and coaching side of things. I hope SW keeps his position. I hope we land decent CEO. And I hope we enjoy a year free of negative press!

Secondly, I want to see improvement from the youngsters. I don't really care if we lose, as long as we can see that our future is bright.

Not too much to ask, is it?

I hope we get the spoon, I hate seeing us lose, but at the end of the day, better of having the best available option each draft round. Of course the season will be much more enjoyable if we win.

my legit only hope for 2014 is we have the rising star player, whether that comes from pick 3,18,19 i dont care but get me that no.1 rookie outplays martin, hogan and ill be over the moon, i would hope we finish bottom 4 to dip into next years top kids.

Realistically we'll probably be at the arse end of the ladder again but we could also surprise everyone and make a GF like 97 when most people expected us to be cellar dwellars.

Our best side is still pretty good so we should be competitive and we should at least be good enough to avoid the spoon which most of the learned judges aka mindless sheep on the main board are predicting for us.

I'll still be hoping we can win enough games to make finals and win a flag next year and I hope our players and coaching staff think the same way. You should never put a ceiling on what you can achieve, things can turn around quickly, look no further than Port this year. Rebuilding should not automatically rule out aiming for success.

I think the club at the moment is beginning its rebuilding phase, so cannot expect that many more wins than what we got this season. Hopefully we draft well this year and start bringing up younger players, 2-3 years we could be knocking on the top 8's door. To answer on how we'll go in 2014 it will be another low finish on the ladder but also a good step in the right direction for the future of the club.

out of the people who retired,
Blake & Kosi didn't play many senior games, So they won't be an issue
Milne played nearly every game, but he was nowhere near his best of 2 years ago, and therefore will only be missed slightly.
Dal will be missed alot due to his precise kicking and where he played,

Macca will be missed not so much as in the ruck as the others will take over but around the ground picking up contested marks.

So instead we will have a better backline (however the back and chb will be quite inexperienced.
Only Savage to help the centre - not enough (especially Hayes being 1 year older, will be his last year and most likely won't play 22 games)
The forward line - no milne and no Saad) even though Milne was not going so great, he was still a live wire. Saad we all hoped that it was just 2nd year blues and he would be much better in his 3rd year. But now probably won't be playing. That will now leave Milera as the only small forward, lunless we have along a LTI during the year and minchington can be upgraded. - not so good, although Savage might help

the tall forwards Kosi gawn, not an issue. Reiwoldt one year older and knee problems, he might become the stay at home forward, stanley back in the forward line roaming, maybe white playing a few games and Maister. not so bad,

So after all that my take is that we might lost a large number of games becuase of the lack of mid field.

It's a work in progress and from what I've read most people on here think the same. We want to see more of what we saw in 2013 which was the young kids playing and doing some good things. It's going to be another year of pain but out of that comes further high draft picks and another chance to shore up the team's deficiencies.

A number of people, (myself included), have said this is a two year job. The job? To overhaul the list and set us up for the next premiership tilt! Done a great job this year and we'll get 3 great mids who might not be able to impact in 2014 but certainly in 2016 onwards they will....

Patience and understanding for another bottom 5 finish, (fixture dependent). I hope they sort out the admin side of things too. We need stability so the journalistic hacks that report on football can aim their venom at another club for a change!! (twitter and bisted much Smoke?:p)

A club doesn't go on the record saying the next season will be tough but there is a long term plan if they are expecting or even planning on being anything but bottom three. Youth will be prioritised. Let's just hope Watters is marked on youth improvement rather than win loss record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Obligatory "How we'll go in 2014" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back