2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's meant to be a forward/mid to be fair. Was better forward than as a mid in the champs too. He's definitely more impact than pure mid. He's probably in an ideal world Petracca or Dusty. Could be more Stringer though.
He's more impact because he's unfit. He has all the talent in the world but without the ability to do pre-seasons, he is only limited to impacting in short bursts

When he starts playing footy full-time at AFL level, I really think doing full pre-seasons will not only help him get more uncontested ball and be more consistent week-to-week and within games, but it should also help his durability with his soft tissue issues. At full flight, he should be a 60%+ mid

When you have Richmond considering him at pick 1 alongside FOS, its strange for some to think he's "not a mid" imo

Just not sure I love that are of the draft. I wonder who you have your eye on and who the Saints would target there. (Awaiting 7 people yelling Hyyyyyynes)
Hyyyyyynes

Fr though, I think Hotton, Berry, Tauru, Trainor, Hannaford would all be in the conversation. Maybe even someone like Dattoli or Gross

Hyyyyyynes

Fr though, I think Hotton, Berry, Tauru, Trainor, Hannaford would all be in the conversation. Maybe even someone like Dattoli or Gross
My issue is that we just have to find the long awaited guns. This has been a problem for at least a decade. Pou, Wilson, Nas … others become less certain, although there’s a number that are tracking to be good to very good. A small slide on draft night, maybe, but I’m not sure on this one.

Trade 7+8 for 3+14 at West Coast

Tell the Crows we are taking Draper with 3. See if they cave and offer up their F1 and pick 4 for pick 3 and F2

LDU or Brayshaw as FA
Use the 2 first rounders for Callaghan

Over a 2 year period
Pick 4
Pick 14
LDU/Brayshaw
Callaghan

SAINTS ACADEMY PROSPECT KEEN TO JOIN

ST KILDA Next Generation Academy member Adrian Cole would love to follow in the footsteps of Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager at the Saints, but is happy landing anywhere in the AFL.

The 195cm key defender played in the Sandringham Dragons' Grand Final win last month and for Vic Metro in the Marsh U18 Boys National Championships.

Cole joined the Saints' Academy at the age of 13 and has worked under Brendon Goddard and Nick Dal Santo.

The 18-year-old is yet to receive any indication from St Kilda and has met with a handful of other clubs ahead of the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.

"I have spoken to them [St Kilda] a few times," Cole told AFL.com.au at the Draft Combine.

"I've had one formal meeting when they came over to my house. Simon [Dalrymple] spoke to us on an NGA camp and did a big presentation.

"I'm happy wherever I land, I just want to get into the AFL, so fingers crossed that happens.

"I would give my best to any team, but I think there is something special to giving back to a club that I've been a part of since 13. They've given me a lot of support since then, so I would like to repay the support."

St Kilda's NGA has produced seven AFL graduates, including current Saints Owens, Windhager and Angus McLennan. – Josh Gabelich

Have we drafted a decent key defender since Max Hudghton? ( amazingly the same height as Wilkie ).
We had Fisher, who was much better as a rebounder.
Blake ended up there , but was really a utility.
Simpkin lol
then Wilkie i think.

We're crap at drafting key defenders.

Trade 7+8 for 3+14 at West Coast

Tell the Crows we are taking Draper with 3. See if they cave and offer up their F1 and pick 4 for pick 3 and F2

LDU or Brayshaw as FA
Use the 2 first rounders for Callaghan

Over a 2 year period
Pick 4
Pick 14
LDU/Brayshaw
Callaghan
No, go after 9 from Essendon. Have 7, 8, 9.

Then maybe 9 to GWS for 15 & 16. Take 7, 8, 15 & 16 to the draft

There has been a lot of discussion about the current draft class being "even." While the talent level might be even, we need to prioritise our list needs, especially when considering the long-term balance of our midfield.

Just outside our range there are three standout players that fit our needs: Finn O'Sullivan, Sam Lalor, and Sid Draper. So, instead of focusing solely on whether they are "even in talent," we should focus on assessment criteria:

1. Positional Needs (Midfield balance)
  2. Adherence to Game Style (pressure and turnover 'Saints footy')
  3. Future-Proofing (Will the player fit the future trends of the game)
Personally, I think Sam Lalor is the best choice. He offers a unique skill set to our midfield that we currently lack. Ross often emphasizes the need for "midfield grunt," and Lalor embodies that. He can lay powerful tackles, take strong marks, and has the physicality to fend off opponents. His upside potential is huge, especially considering he hasn't completed a full AFL pre-season while balancing both cricket and footy until recently.

Another intangible he seems to have that I saw in his Champs performance is being a 'big game' player. Something you unfortunately couldn't say the same thing about Josh Smillie and to be fair it's what we have lacked for several years.

If we decide to trade up to pick 2 and use a future first-round pick to do so, I wouldn't complain at all. There's a reason the top pick is currently seen as a contest between Finn O'Sullivan and Sam Lalor. With picks 7 and 8, we are relying on absolute luck to access them. I hope I am wrong because it sounds like we will be staying with 7 and 8.

Last edited:
You’re on the money, almost, we are 100% looking to do 8 for 15 and 16.
Timing for such a trade would be crucial.

Imagine if Lalor and Draper were available at 7 and we'd traded 8 already, yuck!

I much prefer the idea of grabbing 9 and trading that for 15 and 16 - move on our second if need be. 7, 8, 15, 16 plus academy/is boys.

Saints: In 15, 16 - Out F1, 26.
Dons: In F1, 26, Out Shiel, 9
Giants: In 9, Shiel.

I'd not hate the trade.

The other point about timing is relating to trades for players. Take Eagles as an example, they will have 3 & 14 at some stage, but not on draft night.

So many options available, but I'd love to go all in with F1 traded and offer Brayshaw, TDK & LDU offers they simply cannot refuse next year. If we are still in for Finn and Aleer then we have options still with AFLs new trading rules next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club wants to hit the draft hard this year, then it make sense to turn Pick 7, 8, 27 to 7, 8, 9 (trade for future first), 27. Then trade pick 9 for 15 and 16. Think Membrey will get us another end of 2nd round pick e.g. pick 43

It then becomes:

7 = Smilie / Murphy
8 = Smilie / Murphy
15 = Hotton
16 = Hynes
27 = Whitlock / Dodson
43 = next best
46 = trade for Macrae
64 = match for Cole
Rookie = Peckett
Rookie = Hoffman
Soldo = Future 3rd

If the club wants to hit the draft hard this year, then it make sense to turn Pick 7, 8, 27 to 7, 8, 9 (trade for future first), 27. Then trade pick 9 for 15 and 16.

It then becomes:

7 = Smilie / Murphy
8 = Smilie / Murphy
15 = Hotton
16 = Hynes
27 = Whitlock / Dodson
46 = trade for Macrae
64 = match for Cole
Rookie = Peckett
Rookie = Hoffman
Soldo = Future 3rd
Gaining 9 would mean losing 27.

Peckett is touted as a top 45 pick

I think four first rounders is a bit much, how are we going to fit 7 new draftees in and get them games. Last year we debuted every draftee even for a couple of games which I think is massive. I don’t think we could rotate another 7 through. At the very least the four first rounders should expect to play.

3 first rounders this year maximum for me

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back