Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that haven't seen it, here is George Horlin-Smith's draft profile. This part impressed me the most:

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
I really like Luke Hodge’s ability to play as a forward, through the midfield and as a defender. My goal would be to emulate his game, and his leadership qualities.
Add this this fact that he captained the Australian U16's cricket team. This demonstrates his ability and desire to become a leader.

If you can watch the video, check out his non-preferred pass, across the face of goals to a target at 0:13. A strong mark on a lead at 0:44 His ability to hit a running target through the centre of the ground at 1:05. He does have a shocker on the run at 1:40 though. :eek:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102185/default.aspx

It will be interesting to see what will transpire as there is still some time before draft day and a lot change leading up to it, as we have seen in the past.

For those that haven't seen it, here is George Horlin-Smith's draft profile. This part impressed me the most:

Add this this fact that he captained the Australian U16's cricket team. This demonstrates his ability and desire to become a leader.

If you can watch the video, check out his non-preferred pass, across the face of goals to a target at 0:13. A strong mark on a lead at 0:44 His ability to hit a running target through the centre of the ground at 1:05. He does have a shocker on the run at 1:40 though. :eek:

It will be interesting to see what will transpire as there is still some time before draft day and a lot change leading up to it, as we have seen in the past.

Just seems like he has too many ?????? for pick 14.
Would you take him ahead of Smith/Pitt/Smetdes?

ALso just wanted to mention that since Rendell took over the possible players we would have taken 1st round if the players we picked werent there. In some ways we have been very lucky:

-If Danger wasnt avail next on our list was Ebert/Rance: Difference between these players is enormous;
-If Davis wasnt avail would have ended up with Johnstone: Always injured and really plays similar to Walker.
-If Talia not avail would have ended up with Stevens: Again huge diff;

So ended up with Danger/Davis/Talia all guns. But very well could have been:Ebert or Rance/Johnstone/Stevens.
I wonder how we would have viewed Rendell and his recruiting team if with just a little less luck we ended up with the latter 3 players?

And I bet the players we 'could' of ended up with would of been better players had they played for Adelaide as I rate our player development as second best behind Collingwood.

Davis was proven. Rendell wanted him 2 years before we drafted him. He played on Watts and killed him, and played reserves for NA and would have played league footy if he didnt get injured.
HS has only played 3 games in U18s, hasnt done a pre-season which is a worry as to how he will be able to hadle it.
Whereas someone like SMith is alot more of a certainty to succeed.
Should be interesting to see what happens.

You don't have 12 recruiters going to a school game if you have nothing. Imagine if he does do a pre-season though, he could be anything.
He was BOG in one of the game as well. I know its only u18s but i can see him being a really good player in the future.

Just seems like he has too many ?????? for pick 14.
Would you take him ahead of Smith/Pitt/Smetdes?

I have seen Smith play about 6-8 times live and I really like his game and would be stoked if we got him. His field kicking by most part is good. His set shot needs refining though, especially from a distance.

Smedts will probably be gone by pick 14 but if available would be very hard to pass up. Pitt I don't rate as high.

You can build a case for these guys because the proof is in the pudding and they have a larger body of game film, experience at an U18s/SANFL level. This works against Horlin-Smith. Maybe this is just my nature and I am willing to take a risk on a guy who could bust or become an exceptional talent.

Its interesting, Danger we rated 2 along with Geelong, yet most rated him 15-25. Same as Davis. I think our recruiting has been proved correct.
Gunston was more a smokey i think, as Rendell stated we expected to get him with 3rd round and Menzel/Howard with 2nd rounder.

Last years rankings for realistic targets were:
Moore;Talia;Melksh;Stevens;Butch;Black;Menzel;Howard;Gunston;JMP

Apparently we went into draft thinking we would end up with Koby Stevens, but on the day before draft we heard rumors that Melb and Carlt didnt want Talia, so we had a feeling Talia would be picked at 13.
Stevens though has injury issues and his speed/Kicking are big issues.
Gun inside player similar to Thompson/VanBerlo, really didnt need that type of player. Lucky we got Talia. Perfect for us.[/quote]

as a matter of interest, where do you see Talia playing?

You stated we threw away our picks.
I dont agree, 2nd round picks in this draft are valuable, its just Tamb and Jacobs are more valuable.

That wasn't a comment on the Tambling & Jacobs trades. It was a comment on the perceived value on #14 over the perceived value of the other picks.

Its interesting, Danger we rated 2 along with Geelong, yet most rated him 15-25. Same as Davis. I think our recruiting has been proved correct.
Gunston was more a smokey i think, as Rendell stated we expected to get him with 3rd round and Menzel/Howard with 2nd rounder.

Apparently we went into draft thinking we would end up with Koby Stevens, but on the day before draft we heard rumors that Melb and Carlt didnt want Talia, so we had a feeling Talia would be picked at 13.
Gun inside player similar to Thompson/VanBerlo, really didnt need that type of player. Lucky we got Talia. Perfect for us.[/quote]

Ryan Griffen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be against the club drafting George Horlin Smith instead of Brodie Smith.
Whilst I'd be happy with Brodie at our club he is an inside midfielder (with good leg speed) and we want and need quality a outside midfielder which what George is.

I wouldn't be against the club drafting George Horlin Smith instead of Brodie Smith.
Whilst I'd be happy with Brodie at our club he is an inside midfielder (with good leg speed) and we want and need quality a outside midfielder which what George is.

Get GEORGE!
Pick 14 is the only chance.
After that he will be gone.
Elite sports training for 2 years already, leader, and doesn't he kick just a bit like Nathan Buckley?
Not gun pace, but is just so Bernie Vince. No complaint here if his name is alled by MR.

Good post Neddy. George is most certainly leadership potential. Is a great kid and would be a great person to have round a footy club, his professionalism is top notch and would be more than ready to step up into AFL side, due to taking part in an elite sportsman program for the past 2 years. I believe one or two of the clubs may have mentioned that he was one of, if not the best interviewees of this draft.

Trust me when I say George is as inside, as he is out. He is as courageous as
they come and is extremely good at getting his own ball, to the point where I'd say he's more inside than out. Haven't seen a heap of him lately, but as a younger player, he used to hurt himself all the time because he would put his body over ball's that he just shouldn't considering his size. Looks to have put a bit more size on now which is good, as it was probably one of the major reasons he was previously leaning towards Cricket, his body just couldn't sustain the way he played footy.

As you could see from that vision he is an extremely clever player, has great vision, decision making and trust me when I say he knows how to find the footy.

I'd be more than happy for us to take him at 14, however I feel, considering he had the chance to show his capabilities at the highest level and as such, there's a bit of risk, so probably the 18-30 range is about right.

Get GEORGE!
Elite sports training for 2 years already, leader, and doesn't he kick just a bit like Nathan Buckley?
Not gun pace, but is just so Bernie Vince. No complaint here if his name is alled by MR.

Bernie Vince is a great comparison I think. Adept with both the inside and outside aspects of playing as a midfielder. Similar height and pace, although neither require pace to be effective as their ability to read the play, awareness and vision is elite. Probably doesn't have the length in his leg of Vince(although I'm not completely certain on this), but this may also come with a proper preseason and footy focused conditioning. Could quite easily turn out to be one of the best players drafted this year.

And I bet the players we 'could' of ended up with would of been better players had they played for Adelaide as I rate our player development as second best behind Collingwood.

No matter how much you develop the latter 3 players they'll never be better than the former.
Big call about our development. Coll is best obviously spends the most amount of money.
But wouldnt think we are 2nd best.

You don't have 12 recruiters going to a school game if you have nothing. Imagine if he does do a pre-season though, he could be anything.
He was BOG in one of the game as well. I know its only u18s but i can see him being a really good player in the future.

His situation and the way he plays reminds me of Broad Martin.
Finished the year strongly for sturt u18s. And within a year he was domination for Sturt seniors. The way he moves and kicks actually reminds me of Broads. Looks like a good player, no big deal that many recruiters went to watch him, its there job.
Also agree his a boom or bust type player, can he deal with an afl pres-season? too risky for 14.
Also dont look too much into players who interview well/badly. Cyril was the worst interviewee of all time and yet will turn out one of the best players, also JMP was one of the best and played most of the year playing SANFL res even though he went pick 16 i think.

Attacking CHB or HBF/Winger.
Apparently he wants to play forward but the club see him as a defender.
I would love to see our wingers being Hendo/Gunston/Talia. Very Tall wingers are so hard to man up on eg Matty Richardson and can be so damaging.

Get GEORGE!

I agree here. If MR reads his name ahead of Smith/Pitt/Jacobs etc, i wont be dissapointed as obviously he knows more than us, and he hasnt stuffed up too much so far.
But im struggling to see the use of 14 on a speculative pick given so many quality players will be available. Its not MR style.

I don't get all the G H-S love at all.
I watched a bit of school football and can't see what the fuss is about. I saw Pembroke play against St. Peter's and the stand out player wasn't G H-S, but rather his opponent who was easily BOG.
I'm hoping we pick this kid up instead (Rendell knows who he is!)

Whose the player.
Is he a chance at 61 or more likely around 14?

Whose the player.
Is he a chance at 61 or more likely around 14?

I'm actually hoping around pick 61 or in the rookie draft. His name is Patrick Barrett. I've seen a fair bit of him this year and he has a lot to like. About 6 foot 2, has break away pace, tough as nails and outstanding above his head.
The last bit is one of his problems as when he played for Westies, he was used as a marking forward rather than in the midfield where he is suited.
I liken him in game style (not talent) to a mix between Danger and Vince.
Bris and WB have looked at him during the year.

I'm actually hoping around pick 61 or in the rookie draft. His name is Patrick Barrett. I've seen a fair bit of him this year and he has a lot to like. About 6 foot 2, has break away pace, tough as nails and outstanding above his head.
The last bit is one of his problems as when he played for Westies, he was used as a marking forward rather than in the midfield where he is suited.
I liken him in game style (not talent) to a mix between Danger and Vince.
Bris and WB have looked at him during the year.

Didn't MR say during trade week that he was hoping to get a higher pick from Fremantle in the Griffin trade because he had someone in mind, but that pick 61 might still be enough? If so then a lesser known player like Barrett may be who he is thinking of.

Didn't MR say during trade week that he was hoping to get a higher pick from Fremantle in the Griffin trade because he had someone in mind, but that pick 61 might still be enough? If so then a lesser known player like Barrett may be who he is thinking of.

Yes he did.

I think it was pick 55 he was hoping to get from Freo for this player he has in mind. When it turned out to be pick 61 he did say that hopefully that would still get the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back