Official NM Championships Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have guessed 800-1000 comfortably.

Me and the missus got a bit sunburnt sitting in the sun.

Very impressed with Arch's efforts. There was a huge line all day to get autographs.

yeah good day today signed up also and meat GR today good bloke he is

He had time for you?:eek:

Surely he would have been signing autographs alday similar to Arch, seeing as tho he has been on tv and nearly every paper lately!

Image from today
2006106572875911954_rs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sounds like you all had a great day at the halo turf.....Thanks Go North for helping the Peninsula Ladies, and all the other volunteers who help with the sausages & drinks it sounded like it was well supported. All of the money go directly back to the club......It was one of the biggest takings they have ever had.......Who won the Archer cans? Did anyone from BF win???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope there is some way they can incorporate the old players race in the new Arden St Development . It really depicts our club old, tough as nails and it can be a reminder of where we came from . Once the new precinct is made we dont want to ever forget our history and i really believe this would be a reminder of this.

Didn't see any of the board there, did have a good chat with Peter De Rauch and Fulvio Inserra though. Both good North men who have done a lot for this club.

You didn't see any of the board but you did see Fulvio Inserra. Okay so you are saying you saw previous baord but none of the next board. Which suggests to me you know who is on the next board. Hmmmm????

Not one to rain on parades but I still reckon 1000 is optimistic.

Mind you, a lot of people might have come and gone and so perhaps, whilst a any given time the figure was closer to 500, overall we might have gotten nearer to the 1000.

In any event, had quite a good day (apart from my arms which, seriously, are bright red). Took my little brother who is slowly converting from the Bulldogs to the 'right' club, and he had a great day. He was a little shy and wary of the players at first, but after Aaron Edwards was so kind to him for his first autograph, he went nuts and got his footy, his scarf and his top signed all over.

For those of us who forget how impressionable kids are, his favourite (North) player is now Aaron Edwards (although he still reckons Brad Johnson is the best player in the league).

That's why days like today are so important. The kids get to meet the stars and instantly build an ever-lasting attachment to the club.

Good on you Azza, Browny, Wellsy, Jesse Smith, Jess Sinclair and all the others who were happy to have a picture taken with a smile on their dial. Made my little brother's day and may have just won him over. Browny even had a chat with him, asking him where he played footy and that. So simple and yet so powerful. Top stuff :thumbsu:

Personally i thought it was way over 1000 as many were coming and going throughout the day but who really cares i think the club had a successful day

Well The Age reported it was 1500.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/time-the-roos-pulled-up-stumps/2007/12/09/1197135287638.html

Time the Roos pulled up stumps
Warwick Green
December 10, 2007

mbs_grant_narrowweb__300x451,0.jpg
Shannon Grant gets clean bowled by Brady Rawlings.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

LAST week a few thousand North Melbourne fans were at Dallas Brooks Hall; they quickly discovered that the Kangaroos would stick to their guns and play at Arden Street Oval. Yesterday, about 1500 fans were at Arden Street Oval; they quickly discovered that when it comes to cricket, the Kangaroos should stick to football. As part of a family fun day the Roos had a Twenty20 cricket match at their home ground, with the Country Bumpkins taking on the City Slickers. The City batsmen struggled big time, with nine ducks (three of them golden quackers). So poor was their work with the willow, that most of their batsmen had two hits. It didn't help Shannon Grant (pictured), who was out first ball and second ball in his two innings. Midfielder Lindsay Thomas did some damage with his fast-mediums, taking 4-10 (including a hat-trick spread across the seventh and 15 overs). From their 20 overs, the City Slickers lost 18 wickets and managed just 94 runs. Naturally the Country Bumpkins chased down the total, although through some creative scoring still found themselves needing six runs off the last over. Matty Campbell hit the winning runs off the last ball.

However as the The Age also said (in an otherwise very supportive article) in its Saturday Editorial - "Arden St and Astor forever" the crowd at Dallas Brooks on Thursday evening was 1500 maybe there is a gremlin in The Age's crowd counting machine.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401385

In a general sense though it has to be considered succesful promaotion for the club as I also saw reports on it on Channel 10 and Channel 9. Basically concentrating on their reporters contribution to the game. A very smart move to invite sports reporters to show off their cricketing skills at our cricket day. Ensures some publicity at least.

I think the event was excellent, and think over the course of the day the number fluctuated. There were a lot more people there at the start than the end for instance.

The staff milled around and made it happen, and everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy the day, including the players.

The other key aspect of the event is that by involving journalists, we build stronger relationships with them, and that encourages better coverage in the future.

I think the club should definitely do it next year, it's a great opportunity to provide a little pre Christmas boost to membership and morale.

That said, I have three small suggesttions for improving it:

1 - a beer tent - I appreciate that it is a family setting, but the event only runs a couple of hours and no one is going to get mashed, I'd have gone a couple in the sun. (This was another poster's suggestion actually, but I will steal it to kick things along.)

2 - more bins, a small thing, but would have helped. I am tipping the clean up was a bit of an annoyance for the staff.

3 - encouraging crowd participation by having an award for best banner.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions about the day?

Well The Age reported it was 1500.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/time-the-roos-pulled-up-stumps/2007/12/09/1197135287638.html

Time the Roos pulled up stumps
Warwick Green
December 10, 2007

mbs_grant_narrowweb__300x451,0.jpg
Shannon Grant gets clean bowled by Brady Rawlings.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

LAST week a few thousand North Melbourne fans were at Dallas Brooks Hall; they quickly discovered that the Kangaroos would stick to their guns and play at Arden Street Oval. Yesterday, about 1500 fans were at Arden Street Oval; they quickly discovered that when it comes to cricket, the Kangaroos should stick to football. As part of a family fun day the Roos had a Twenty20 cricket match at their home ground, with the Country Bumpkins taking on the City Slickers. The City batsmen struggled big time, with nine ducks (three of them golden quackers). So poor was their work with the willow, that most of their batsmen had two hits. It didn't help Shannon Grant (pictured), who was out first ball and second ball in his two innings. Midfielder Lindsay Thomas did some damage with his fast-mediums, taking 4-10 (including a hat-trick spread across the seventh and 15 overs). From their 20 overs, the City Slickers lost 18 wickets and managed just 94 runs. Naturally the Country Bumpkins chased down the total, although through some creative scoring still found themselves needing six runs off the last over. Matty Campbell hit the winning runs off the last ball.

However as the The Age also said (in an otherwise very supportive article) in its Saturday Editorial - "Arden St and Astor forever" the crowd at Dallas Brooks on Thursday evening was 1500 maybe there is a gremlin in The Age's crowd counting machine.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401385

In a general sense though it has to be considered succesful promaotion for the club as I also saw reports on it on Channel 10 and Channel 9. Basically concentrating on their reporters contribution to the game. A very smart move to invite sports reporters to show off their cricketing skills at our cricket day. Ensures some publicity at least.

Thanks for pics and reports.

Speaking of reporters being invited, just had a vision of USC facing one angry bowler - Oi Joy!!!

I think the event was excellent, and think over the course of the day the number fluctuated. There were a lot more people there at the start than the end for instance.

The staff milled around and made it happen, and everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy the day, including the players.

The other key aspect of the event is that by involving journalists, we build stronger relationships with them, and that encourages better coverage in the future.

I think the club should definitely do it next year, it's a great opportunity to provide a little pre Christmas boost to membership and morale.

That said, I have three small suggesttions for improving it:

1 - a beer tent - I appreciate that it is a family setting, but the event only runs a couple of hours and no one is going to get mashed, I'd have gone a couple in the sun. (This was another poster's suggestion actually, but I will steal it to kick things along.)

2 - more bins, a small thing, but would have helped. I am tipping the clean up was a bit of an annoyance for the staff.

3 - encouraging crowd participation by having an award for best banner.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions about the day?

Second all of your suggestions.

And the day ended an hour early - apparently the players got through the overs more quickly than expected.

Could encourage crowd participation by auctioning/raffling off batting or bowling guest spots . . .

Second all of your suggestions.

And the day ended an hour early - apparently the players got through the overs more quickly than expected.

Could encourage crowd participation by auctioning/raffling off batting or bowling guest spots . . .
Members who sign up within the two or three week period before hand go into the draw for a spot in the each of the teams.

Me and Mr We57st went along and had a great day, although we were abit sunburnt by the end of it! We lined up with everyone else to get an autograph and photo with the Great Man Archer - and what a lovely man he is too. All the players were very friendly and approachable, the food was great and it was just an all-round good day.

As for suggestions, I agree with the more bins one, as well as more shade maybe????

Otherwise, I look forward to the next one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Official NM Championships Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back