Official Team V Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Kornes will be on Mitchell whilst Logan has Hodge.

That leaves Cassisi/Thomas to go to Burgers.
It's not gone unnoticed on me that even as supporters we accept that our players will be going to "their" players almost every match we play.

What an indictment on our midfield and our team. It's farcical actually.

Pearce, Rodan and Boak get tagged. It's not like we're the only team doing it.
I'm yet to see another side carry 3-4 designated midfield taggers like we do. It wouldn't concern me if the midfield actually did their job and played accountable football. They haven't for at least 4 weeks now.

I think Kornes will be on Mitchell whilst Logan has Hodge.

That leaves Cassisi/Thomas to go to Burgers.

This. :thumbsu:

Also, if Carr plays, he may sit with Burgers on rotation.
Thomas would probably rotate on Hodge also :)eek:... sounds nasty, but you know what I mean).

Surj to Rioli ... and it's game ON !

I'm yet to see another side carry 3-4 designated midfield taggers like we do. It wouldn't concern me if the midfield actually did their job and played accountable football. They haven't for at least 4 weeks now.

I wouldn't quite say we have 3-4 designated taggers. I'd say we have 3 or 4 players that can perform shut down roles if needed, usually they rotate onto the same player.

Cassisi, Logan, Kane and Thomas are the guys you are talking about I assume?

I haven't noticed anyone but Kane perform a hard tag recently though. However, I really wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

EDIT: I think our midfield is very accountable FWIW. Some players let us down a bit sometimes, especially with zones though.

I wouldn't quite say we have 3-4 designated taggers. I'd say we have 3 or 4 players that can perform shut down roles if needed, usually they rotate onto the same player.

Cassisi, Logan, Kane and Thomas are the guys you are talking about I assume?

I haven't noticed anyone but Kane perform a hard tag recently though. However, I really wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

EDIT: I think our midfield is very accountable FWIW. Some players let us down a bit sometimes, especially with zones though.

They may not all play tagging rules BUT too many defensive minded players for my liking.

I'm surprised there's a lack of hawthorn flogs on this board this week. Maybe they view this as a danger game.

It's funny how they've all changed their tune RE burgoyne now that they've seen him play :rolleyes:

I am confident about our chances against Hawthorn, I always am (its similar to my confidence of getting beaten by Sydney). We seem to be able to shut them down across the midfield and play there zone fairly well.

I am looking forward to how we play Burgoyne. He has been playing mainly in defence from the games I have seen so if we put a defensive forward on him we will be playing two defensive forward with Logan on Hodge. Not ideal. I am not sure he will be tagged, until he runs through the Midfield and Thomas will be the match up there.

Kornes will stay on Mitchell unless Burgoyne gets out of control.

I hope we niggle at him, get in his ear and put the pressure on him, but not go overboard. We need to be focussed on winning the game and not let the emotion take over.

Think this will be a great game, lets hope it doesn't rain!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if we'll win.

But put it this way: I am confident this week, than I was last week.

TACKLE , TACKLE, TACKLE, ENDEAVOR, TACKLE, PRESSURE, STEWARTTTTTTT!!!! CARN PORTZ!!!

It's not gone unnoticed on me that even as supporters we accept that our players will be going to "their" players almost every match we play.

What an indictment on our midfield and our team. It's farcical actually.

I agree.

What hurts us is our most experienced midfielders are taggers!

> 150 games
Kornes, Cassisi and Carr all sit at the top of our midfield experience ladder but they're all defensive types. Hard for those types of players to "lift" our team.

It isn't as if a Kornes is going to lift our team by immediately tackling Mitchell when he gets a possession.

100 - 150 games
We have Salopek, Pearce and Rodan.
- Pearce and Salopek: at 24 both need to start performing week in and week out.
- Rodan: perhaps... but I think he is currently getting the best out of himself. He will never be leadership material... have to accept that.

< 100 games
We have Boak, Gray, Logan, Thomas, Hartlett, Davenport and other fringe types.

The players most likely to "lift" our team with exciting and attacking plays are the ones with the least experience.

Back in 2000-2004 our experienced midfielders were the likes of Francou, P Burgoyne, Stevens, Pickett, Schofield and sometimes Wangas... all of those were attacking types who could lift the team. Our young upcomers like Kornes, Cassisi and Carr were given mostly defensive roles.

MW has never let those players evolve beyond that and now we're stuck in the position I opened with... our most experienced midfielders are taggers!

Nah, Choco is going to try something really radical and play two ruckmen. :p

Sadly I suspect you are correct. :(
It'd be nice to think so, but 90% sure it means Brogan out. Still at least if he's out and Lobbe comes in Choco is taking baby steps to the realisation playing no recognised ruckman is a 120 minute long suicide of the game.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Salter out might not be the worst move. Considering the short people Hawthorn are playing in their forward line, having Carlile, Chappy and Chad back there may be overkill. And having Stewart, Trengove, Salter and Chad in the same forward-line would also be overkill. Probably a smart move with all things considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Team V Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back