Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck for next year Doggies, when 9 other clubs will get into this kids ear. Surely if your president was smart he would have shut up and done the deal quietly next year ala Buddy last year?
Can't help but think Smorgan was a better leader, this bloke is tearing down in 12 months what Smorgo built in 15 years.

Do you know why Boyd wants to go to Bullies? Money will be much the same next year,the question is why. Bullies... And obviously you don't know!

Do you know why Boyd wants to go to Bullies? Money will be much the same next year,the question is why. Bullies... And obviously you don't know!

Been a lot of Saints fans that think that they can offer just as much as we can for Boyd and that it'll guarantee that he'll go to them. Besides the fact that he's taken a look at our guys like Bontempelli, Macrae, Libba, Stringer and co and decided that he wants in on that.

Been a lot of Saints fans that think that they can offer just as much as we can for Boyd and that it'll guarantee that he'll go to them. Besides the fact that he's taken a look at our guys like Bontempelli, Macrae, Libba, Stringer and co and decided that he wants in on that.
He played with Honeychurch and knows Bonts and Macrae well. Would be a bit of camaraderie as a motivator, and knowing you will be the dogs number one man for as long as you want to be must play a role too.

and is mates with them apparently, or at least knows them fairly well

I think there are a lot of reasons why the trade should get done.

But my main worry is that GWS might have an iron clad policy that they will not release any gun kid under their first contract. They'd be worried about setting the precedent and opening the flood gates.

Mind you I still think it makes more sense for them to make trade in this instance.
Jake Niall's take is along these lines (probably did his research on BF):
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...give-the-dogs-their-boyd-20141014-1161nh.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...give-the-dogs-their-boyd-20141014-1161nh.html
That's the main reason why I can't see Boyd going this year. It's exactly the same as the Caddy situation. I'm hoping we get 4 and 7 for Griffen and 26 or something of that vein. Boyd will go next year and I hope coming home to the familiar faces of his old team mates in Honeychurch and Macrae and the emergence of our young talent, is enough to keep him interested in coming to the dogs.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I had to post it since I listened to Pickering's snack down.

My favourite Richmond flog at work came in thus morning and as I danced on GWS's grave, he flat out told me that Boyd will not come to the dogs. His daughter goes to school with Boyds sister and she apparently said (yesterday) that he knows nothing of the deal, no one has spoken to the family and Boyd is currently on holidays in Indonesia and has no idea either. Now believe what you will, but Pickers said they met and spoke to the family on Sunday. Hmmmm

So Pickering is committing professional suicide for a lark?

I posted earlier the many reasons why a successful Griffen-Boyd trade will be good for us, but even if it falls through (and even if we don't get him in next year's trade period) there will be these benefits:
  • Self respect and self belief as a club.
  • We are definitely in the trading game and must be taken seriously. Long overdue.
  • The fact that Boyd chose the WB (even if this was a tenuous assertion by Pickering, it's now "out there") means that any gun player we are looking at in the top 10 draft picks should be as happy to come to us as to almost any other club that has a top 10 pick.
  • We have got straight back on the horse after being thrown (Griffen). Westward Ho boys!
  • We will probably land at least one highly ranked KPP (McCartin, Wright, Lever or Durdin) and still have a good chance of adding Boyd to the stable in 2016. Especially if a Griffen trade for high draft picks still goes through with GWS (or another club).
For those earlier reasons, I would still like us to get Boyd this year but Griffen+6 is definitely overs. Boyd+19 for Griffen+6 might be OK but is based on GWS not using 19 in the Jaksch deal. Maybe Boyd for Griffen+27?

However if none of that happened I would be quite happy with 4+7 for Griffen+27. That would give us 3 picks inside the top 10 and at least a reasonable chance of securing Boyd next year.

If we are an exciting and attractive young unit now, how attractive will we be next year after we have taken three more players inside the ND top 7?

The flaw in Jake Niall's logic is that clubs will be throwing massive offers at GWS players regardless of what they do with Boyd now.

If a club wants to make an outrageous offer for Whitfield, or Coniglio or Cameron they will not be deterred by whatever GWS does with Boyd.

GWS is already losing second tier players at a great rate of knots - so making a stance on Boyd does nothing to help that.

And as for the Caddy at GCS argument - Caddy left anyway. The expansion clubs will not be able to keep players against their will and need to see the loss of Boyd and Caddy as part of the cost of doing business in an expansion market.

Forcing players to stay against their will when other clubs make trades to accommodate players within reason will just make it even harder for GWS to build a strong club culture and to become a club that agents want their players to go to.

That's the main reason why I can't see Boyd going this year. It's exactly the same as the Caddy situation. I'm hoping we get 4 and 7 for Griffen and 26 or something of that vein. Boyd will go next year and I hope coming home to the familiar faces of his old team mates in Honeychurch and Macrae and the emergence of our young talent, is enough to keep him interested in coming to the dogs.
The approach on Griffen by GWS entirely nullifies the argument put by Nial
Fact is they want Griffen - a trade should have always been a possibility in their minds
They would have expected it - only not Boyd

Surely if GWS try to acquire a mature player they must expect their will be peruse
His article is idiotic

Griffen = 4 & 19 ok with me

I wouldn't be complaining with this either. And could probably get some late pick upgrades as well considering their first offer added 2 players.
We must keep pick 6 no matter what.

Just do it. Get griff out of here then spend some time on the other trades. All this screwing around with gws is costing us else where.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I do not think we will get him. Knowing our history of being disappointed all the time, I am not going to bother getting excited over the news because of the impending let down that always happens.

I am curious though, I don't see the point of GWS wanting him to play out another year, when they know he is 100% leaving anyway. Maybe they are hoping for a bidding war, but what if he is still 100% adamant that he wants to come to us at the end of the year? They cannot make him go to another club, therefore they will be stuck with working on a deal with us only and they will try and bleed us dry for him or risk him walking out and getting nothing. Or if he suffers a serious injury, he loses plenty of value on the market.

Right now we have Pick 6 and Griffen. Next year we may not even have a top 5 pick, and we sure as hell won't have a player along the caliber of Griffen up for grabs. This is the only time we will have the currency to pull off such a deal, and this is when they will get the best out of us. Pick 6, Griffen and some steak knives I would do in a heartbeat, they will be stupid enough not to take it. Next year we will only have a sole first round pick. Plus the fact every other club is now alert, some will try and find some cap room between now and the end of next year to try and trump ours and try and lure him over. Plus some might even be able to offer a better trade package than us.

It is this year, or never for us, in my own opinion. Our only hope rests with him still wanting to come our way and playing with his good mates. If nothing we offer this year can entice them, cannot see how we could possibly please them next year.

The flaw in Jake Niall's logic is that clubs will be throwing massive offers at GWS players regardless of what they do with Boyd now.

If a club wants to make an outrageous offer for Whitfield, or Coniglio or Cameron they will not be deterred by whatever GWS does with Boyd.

GWS is already losing second tier players at a great rate of knots - so making a stance on Boyd does nothing to help that.

And as for the Caddy at GCS argument - Caddy left anyway. The expansion clubs will not be able to keep players against their will and need to see the loss of Boyd and Caddy as part of the cost of doing business in an expansion market.

Forcing players to stay against their will when other clubs make trades to accommodate players within reason will just make it even harder for GWS to build a strong club culture and to become a club that agents want their players to go to.

The AFL allowing GWS massive draft concessions and an AFL list 10-20% larger than any other club is backfiring on them.

The quicker they get to minimum list size the easier it will be for them to retain players as there will be less competition.

They should be trying get players like Griffen while affording to get rid of a couple of first rounders while they are at it.

Yup- GWS are a giant honeypot for the other clubs, and there's nothing they can do about it once their players (high picks given as concession) are out of contract (want to go home/big $$$ etc)... precident or not.

Boyd for Griff please. Get it done.

GWS take a future captain of the club in Ward and then try to get Griffen the current captain. GWS needs to get their heads out of the sand and realise it goes both ways. Make the trade and move forward. The most important thing above all is the culture and environment of the club and to have a player who doesn't what to be there is ludicrous. Surely that would be a greater negative than any perceived losses that come about from a trade.

Spending 2 quality assets to get Boyd is the wrong move. We need to at least make it a one for one. Boyd alone will not fix us.

Spending 2 quality assets to get Boyd is the wrong move. We need to at least make it a one for one. Boyd alone will not fix us.
What's at play here is bigger than Boyd. It's about demonstrating that as a club we are striving to do whatever's necessary to win a premiership. That'll excite fans, players and the media. Boyd is the vehicle to right a wrong that struck us down last week and proves we are not only team on the rise, we are becoming more ruthless in our approach.

Going to be a very uncomfortable year for Boyd next year if no deal gets done - off the back of what Pickering said. How he is going to be requesting a trade at the end of next season.
Kid is going to be hounded about it nearly every week, and wont have his manager on hand to take the brunt of it. What will they expect him to say?
I hope he's as mature as Pickering says. Not going to be a fun time.

****ing GWS.

Going to be a very uncomfortable year for Boyd next year if no deal gets done - off the back of what Pickering said. How he is going to be requesting a trade at the end of next season.
Kid is going to be hounded about it nearly every week, and wont have his manager on hand to take the brunt of it. What will they expect him to say?
I hope he's as mature as Pickering says. Not going to be a fun time.

******* GWS.

What benefit do they get out of it if they know he is going anyway? Are they hoping to start getting some kind of bidding war going, in the hope of plundering another club of picks and high profile players? What if he is still adamant he ONLY wants the Bulldogs? They won't get a better deal off us than they will this year, Pick 6 and Griffen. They will either get less or nothing. Doesn't make sense to me

What's at play here is bigger than Boyd. It's about demonstrating that as a club we are striving to do whatever's necessary to win a premiership. That'll excite fans, players and the media. Boyd is the vehicle to right a wrong that struck us down last week and proves we are not only team on the rise, we are becoming more ruthless in our approach.
Yep, being aggressive after Hawthorns premiership hangover in 2009 got them back to the top, we have a good midfield base now we can plug the holes.
Please tell me you're joking

If GWS are ***** about this and a fair equitable trade for Griffen won't happen then the club should be open in seeing if there is another suitor.
I nominate West Coast and Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back