Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Henry is still projecting quite well. Looks to me to have bulked up a fair bit and seems to be working up and down the ground better. Don't have data to support but he seems to be taking more marks up the ground (ie "get out of jail" kicks from defence) than previously.

I think most notably he probably hasn't had a good game so far, but has still been present and had an impact. Suggests to me the gap between his best and worst hus shrunk. Look out when he has one of those days where his hands are just on. (I do agree with the above that at times he needs to work on his competitiveness in the contest)

Projecting as a bit of a Menzel type at present. Needs to lift his intensity or he’ll end up a handy role player rather than hitting his ceiling, which is undoubtedly high.

Menzel before the knees, or after?

Possible. A D Menzel type before the knees is like a Jamie Elliott type, the loss of which would indeed be something to lament.
Menzel d Like Elliott would have been elite small forward in the class of Betts and whether 1 liked him or not Milne who for all his faults certainly could play, I think Ginnivan if he keeps his head down can become a top class small forward.

I think Henry played well enough vs us (didn't see the Carlton loss), great mark, steady finisher, and a fine prospect who is already worth his spot.

I have a family connection to Blainey. He was the a very imaginative and popular historian in the 60s, and very academically sound as well.Tyranny of Distance has stood the test of time and he's a better writer than the boring hack McIntyre and not a shlocky arse like Robert Hughes.

His later books have degraded in quality, his history of Aussie rules and his history of Christianity are trash that even an amateur like myself can see through.

His politics are his own business, and as a person I can tell he was a good friend and a decent bloke to my family for many decades.

I have only seen him once in the last 20 years and he forgot who I was, but he knew he knew me and was very polite.

I don't like his politics but try not to confuse a person with their various opinions.

Interestingly, Geoffrey is still alive at 93 and living in Melbourne. His book has also been continuously in print since 1967, so obviously regarded as an Aussie classic. He actually wrote about 40 books. Politically he was viewed as more aligned with the Liberal side of politics, particularly at the time, the Howard government, though he claimed no party allegiance. He was not an advocate of the high level of multiculturism that occurred in the country.

"We are surrendering much of our own independence to a phantom opinion that floats vaguely in the air and rarely exists on this earth. We should think very carefully about the perils of converting Australia into a giant multicultural laboratory for the assumed benefit of the peoples of the world".

He was probably Australia's most highly regarded and influential historian. I'd be interested in JB1975's opinion of him.

We could attempt to discover his address and car pool a group of bigfooty people out to visit him. I am sure he would be more than happy to welcome us, particularly in the unlikely event that he was a Collingwood supporter. jmac70 could pack some IPAs into an esky which the rest of us could help him consume while historian JB1975 swapped thoughts with Blainey about the state of Australian society and how it came to be.

At some stage, perhaps towards the end of our visit, Pragmatic Shill could broach with the great man the question which had led to our visit in the first place - 'Do you consider yourself a dickhead?'.
You know I need no excuse to smash down some IPAs mate. Not sure I’d be prepared to share a beer with a guy who thinks multiculturalism is a bad idea.

You know I need no excuse to smash down some IPAs mate. Not sure I’d be prepared to share a beer with a guy who thinks multiculturalism is a bad idea.
Who said anything about sharing them with HIM? Sharing them with me, yes, while JB and Geoff rattle on about history and Practical Shill needles the ex professor about being a dickhead. I could always bring some whisky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps he would donate a copy of his book "A game of our Own" to the Collingwood archives?

The point with Geoffrey Blainey is he wouldn't refer to those with opposing views as merely "dickheads".
I don't call those with opposing views to me dickheads just because they have opposing views.

Not that it matters, but I do have a history degree so am familiar with Blainey's work.

I just felt I could confidently share what my view is if him in a succinct way without needing to go into a huge analysis given his name was mentioned but this is a forum about AFL, not history or Australian racial identity.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't call those with opposing views to me dickheads just because they have opposing views.

Not that it matters, but I do have a history degree so am familiar with Blainey's work.

I just felt I could confidently share what my view is if him in a succinct way without needing to go into a huge analysis given his name was mentioned but this is a forum about AFL, not history or Australian racial identity.

Sometimes there's just boring views.

Just moving back on topic.

To me, Henry is looking like one of their better players after the first 2 games of the season. We always knew he was better than Bruhn. The Cats just didn't want the Pies to have their 1st pick. He was never staying at GWS.

I have no doubt as a contender that troubles Geelong, they were not going to put us in a better position. And Henry and his manager played their role in executing this.

Menzel d Like Elliott would have been elite small forward in the class of Betts and whether 1 liked him or not Milne who for all his faults certainly could play, I think Ginnivan if he keeps his head down can become a top class small forward.
Even God isn’t a fan of Milne, I’m convinced his Devine intervention made the ball go sideways in 2010, imagine having to bear that outcome knowing you were the one that created the little c………reature

He does seem to be working up and down the ground harder. Work at the contest still looks ordinary though.
Have to say Carlton’s pressure on the cats was very good and a few of the Geelong boys looked cumbersome and carrying an injury. Still had a chance to win it late as well.

To me, Henry is looking like one of their better players after the first 2 games of the season. We always knew he was better than Bruhn. The Cats just didn't want the Pies to have their 1st pick. He was never staying at GWS.

I have no doubt as a contender that troubles Geelong, they were not going to put us in a better position. And Henry and his manager played their role in executing this.

I’m not so sure, his lack of defensive intensity and the fact that some of his goals in the past two weeks have been the result of easy over the back marks, tells me the jury is out.

I didn’t see much of him in either game when the pressure was on. Don’t know if it’s my imagination either but I saw a very half hearted celebration from his teammates after one of his goals.

Way too early to tell if he’ll capitalise on his potential

They didn’t give us a better pick ( I’m not convinced seven or eight spots in the draft order makes a lot of difference anyway) ...but they had to give away cooper Stephens at the eleventh hour to deliver Tom Mitchell to us . So it’s not as if they didn’t pay up to the equivalent of what we were originally asking for.

I have a history degree too, so with you, and Blainey, and JB (if history majors were not out of reach to Frankstonians, he at least talks the talk), we are qualified to call out a dickhead when we see one. That's the benefit of a degree. It allows you to stand on your pedestal and announce to the world the names you don't think have quite made it into your perfect world.

A dickhead's a dickhead when you call them out. As you say, the label itself saves the necessity for 'huge analysis'.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back