Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

You've named 4 defenders when Henry is a forward. And you've named Membrey who is clearly the most similar comparison but is a pretty average 2nd-3rd tall forward.

If Henry's upside is he becomes a Tim Membrey then I'd prefer to just keep pick 25.
You’re deflecting again. Well played.

So? They play similar roles. That’s the point.
Ollie is a 3rd tall. The position Fly played him in is more an indictment on him..

I’m not sure I believe you would have been interested in Bowes if he didn’t come with pick 7 as you’re hoping to use that on young Clark aren’t you?

Anyway I quite like Ollie Henry and I wouldn’t have minded him at Richmond.
That's just ridiculous - he picked us because we were interested in him before pick 7 was on the table. Hawthorn and Essendon only popped up their hands afterwards.

Yeah it wont happen. Geelong will either offer up a better deal or Ollie is staying with us because we aren't accepting pick 25.
Hey mackie. Bloke in big footy said they will not accept 25.
It’s 7 or nothing.
(LAughter floods the air for several minutes)
Yeah can you let that bloke know 7 is never going anywhere especially for a third tall forward not getting a game.
It’s 25 and if we are generous we will upgrade a pick later on in the draft.
Over and out

Yet he still kicked 20+ goals in his second season in a forward line with no real KPFs outside Mihocek. You guys are all going full circle and proving my point yourselves 😂
He can play. Not doubting that.

Are you talking about if Henry went to ND, Geelong would take him using Pick 7?
Or do you think Henry would make it to Pick 25.

I don’t think option 2 is feasible. He’ll be selected before Pick 25. Especially given this is a weak draft.
Option 1 doesn’t make sense. Geelong would better offer trading Pick 7 to Collingwood for Henry and get Pick 18 back in return. That way they get an additional asset and Henry in return for ‘Bowes’ pick.
Tell me what clubs would use p25 on a fringe player who doesn’t want to be at the club for one season. This may not be a so-called super draft but there will be success stories coming from the 20’s and beyond, always is. Clueless.

I'm latching into the point that he's not a key forward. He may have been put there once or twice but on that measure Shaun Grigg is a number one ruck
You’re not likely to build your forward line around him as he won’t be breaking packs, but he’s more a key, marking forward than he is a small.

If he reaches his potential, he’ll be kicking 40-50+ goals a year and majority will be from marks/set shots. If that ain’t a key/marking forward, I don’t know what is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re not likely to build your forward line around him as he won’t be breaking packs, but he’s more a key, marking forward than he is a small.

If he reaches his potential, he’ll be kicking 40-50+ goals a year and majority will be from marks/set shots. If that ain’t a key/marking forward, I don’t know what is.
He's not a key forward. He's more a Dan Menzel/SJ type.

Was Menzel a big leap? I feel Henry will be a better mark than both in a couple of years.

You’ve got Henry completely wrong if you’re comparing him as a forward to Stevie J.
1. Yea he was

2. No I haven't.

Last edited:
I was responding to someone who was talking KP - that includes defenders and forwards. Read the full thing instead of nitpicking to try and make me sound stupid.

That's fair, but I was trying to illustrate that maybe it's easier to play key back at that height. As forwards need those extra cm's to mark the ball, while defenders can just intercept and spoil.

Looking into my crystal ball.. I see... a... 24 yr old.. 70 kg.. Ollie.... struggling to get selected as an emergency to the emergencies in the 3rds for Geelong's VFL affiliate side.. the Armstrong Creek Yabbies.

For crying out loud.

Fair dinkum.

Lol@the Yabbies!

Wonder where this one will land.
Likely with both sides dissatisfied at the outcome. Indicating a fair trade.

Also R U OK DeepBlue
No opinion just negative reacts to all cats viewpoints. Speak up son.

Terrific on the lead. Owns the space in front of him so difficult to spoil. Can take a one handed pearler on the horizontal. He's taken a few of those over the last coupla. There was a practice game where he took this one handed horizontal grab in the wet and I remember thinking.. shit.. I don't even think there's even a handful of players capable of doing that. Does anyone remember that grab? It was off the charts. Can take specks. Can play the Jeremy Howe role as an intercept marking defender. Intelligent user of the pill when he's setting it up outside 50. Beautiful kick. Can outsmart his opponents with his athletic gifts ala Curnow.

He has the potential to become an excellent KPF even at 190 and 90 kgs. There was a game earlier in the year against the Dogs or WC i think it was. Some seem to think he played a horrible game. I didn't. I saw a player that wanted to snag 3 sausage rolls a qrt. So he's confident. A tad selfish. Just a matter of harnessing those qualities for the possitive.

Now visualise him at 24 going beast mode in the gym and that over the next 4 man. He's not gonna swell on the extreme but he will get gains. His bro was a similar weight to him.

Last edited:

That's the definition of a key forward though. They're the keystone on which you set a forward line. Defenders judge their positioning and the likely entry point of the ball based on where the key forward is.

If he's not the player you build a forward line around, as you literally just said, then he not a key forward. That doesn't mean he's a bad player.

Ironically Pies fans don't seem to rate McCreery or Ginnivan. I've seen a huge number of Pies fans say Henry would go top 10 if the 2020 draft was redone but I don't see how.

There's no way he'd be picked before JUH, Tilthorpe, Perkins, Gulden, Macdonald, Holmes, DGB or Chapman. They're all either proven quality AFL players or key position players that have shown similar or more than Henry but their physical size means they're much more likely to make it.

I'd personally have a number of others including Ginnivan ahead of him too. I'd have Henry somewhere between 15-25 with McCreery in the same group.

Do Pies fans really think Henry is far more valuable than Ginnivan and McCreery?
Ginnivan is criminally underrated league wide, oppo fans hate his guts so that’s no surprise, McCreery is also underrated especially by Collingwood fans, he’ll have a very good career IMO.

Ginnivan would be worth plenty, second year players who kick 40+ goals aren’t very common, worth more than Henry easily IMO, McCreery would be worth an early-mid second rounder at this stage I’d have thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back