Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure the AFL would hate for their pet franchise to win a grand final.
The AFL would've been hoping to have their two failing franchise teams, Sh*tney and the Plastics in the GF to try and show that they are relevant, but then they'd have to pay for people to go to the GF to watch the game.

The AFL would've been hoping to have their two failing franchise teams, Sh*tney and the Plastics in the GF to try and show that they are relevant, but then they'd have to pay for people to go to the GF to watch the game.
Bit silly to refer to Sydney as "failing"

Bit silly to refer to Sydney as "failing"
Living in Sydney either of the franchise teams are not mentioned or promoted that much, rugby still is the dominant code. The only times you really hear about the Swines is when they are trying to get people to attend their games by giving out free tickets, still propped up by the AFL's funding and recruiting assistance.

Plastics are even worse up here, I live just across the river from the Olympic site where they play and you never know they are playing at home unless you see TV commercials giving away tickets or promoting free entry for children for their games. At times the only way you know they are playing is if you see the lights on at the ground.

A fan rang Dwayne Russell and says “I reckon the Giants have trouble closing out games!” Insightful.
You laugh, but Dwayne probably hadn't considered it

Heeney vs Bont on the Polls board:

"Home and Away Season - Bont
For Finals - Heeney quite comfortably"

"I think Heeney's last few finals appearances have been extraordinary good, The Bont's not so much.

Heeney's generally always been a decent big game player."

"I think Heeney's last few finals appearances have been extraordinary good, The Bont's not so much.

That's because people have extremely short memories

Hoping for a Brisbane win tonight, purely so Geel are out and we can watch Sydney choke again

Couldn’t possibly enjoy a Geel v Syd GF especially as we flogged both of them recently
Both sets of supporters wanted us out early.

Wonder why

I did say Hawthorn was our least wanted finals opponent and was shouted down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elmer has always been anti-dogs and a weak troll.

I am not sure if this is a North Melbourne thing or an AFL wide issue. But yesterday my North Melbourne membership auto-renewed despite my not having approved this. In February 2023 I rang the Club Membership Department and informed them that I did not wish to have my membership auto-renewed. They told me that I wouldn't yet in October last year (2023) a message popped up on my phone informing me that my seasonal membership had auto-renewed. I was ticked off about it at the time but thought "Oh well I'll let it slide for this year" in the knowledge that my credit card was due to expire in 2024 before the 2024 memberships were due to renew. I knew that the new credit card would have a different expiry date and CVN. Too easy.

However, yesterday a message pops up on my phone "Kangas FC Membership auto-renew $XXX". I had not updated any of my current credit card information to either the North Melbourne FC or to Ticketmaster. How could this be?

I rang my bank and spoke to the Credit Card management section and explained that "My football club membership...", she cut me off and said, let me guess "Kangaroos FC". She then said you are the fourth person who I have dealt with today about this. I asked her how Ticketmaster got my updated expiry date and CVN? She responded that the credit card company sells that information to businesses like Ticketmaster. I was floored and angry. I asked if this was in any way legal? I thought that even if it was legal it's completely unethical. I immediately asked to have the Credit Card account closed outright and for a new card with completely different numbers issued forthwith.

I then rang the Club Membership Department and cancelled my membership immediately telling them that they too hadn't just crossed a line, that they had well and truly pole vaulted over it and never to expect my support or financial contributions ever again.

Is this behaviour just a North Melbourne/Ticketmaster thing or is this also typical conduct at the Bulldogs and other AFL clubs?

I am not sure if this is a North Melbourne thing or an AFL wide issue. But yesterday my North Melbourne membership auto-renewed despite my not having approved this. In February 2023 I rang the Club Membership Department and informed them that I did not wish to have my membership auto-renewed. They told me that I wouldn't yet in October last year (2023) a message popped up on my phone informing me that my seasonal membership had auto-renewed. I was ticked off about it at the time but thought "Oh well I'll let it slide for this year" in the knowledge that my credit card was due to expire in 2024 before the 2024 memberships were due to renew. I knew that the new credit card would have a different expiry date and CVN. Too easy.

However, yesterday a message pops up on my phone "Kangas FC Membership auto-renew $XXX". I had not updated any of my current credit card information to either the North Melbourne FC or to Ticketmaster. How could this be?

I rang my bank and spoke to the Credit Card management section and explained that "My football club membership...", she cut me off and said, let me guess "Kangaroos FC". She then said you are the fourth person who I have dealt with today about this. I asked her how Ticketmaster got my updated expiry date and CVN? She responded that the credit card company sells that information to businesses like Ticketmaster. I was floored and angry. I asked if this was in any way legal? I thought that even if it was legal it's completely unethical. I immediately asked to have the Credit Card account closed outright and for a new card with completely different numbers issued forthwith.

I then rang the Club Membership Department and cancelled my membership immediately telling them that they too hadn't just crossed a line, that they had well and truly pole vaulted over it and never to expect my support or financial contributions ever again.

Is this behaviour just a North Melbourne/Ticketmaster thing or is this also typical conduct at the Bulldogs and other AFL clubs?
We certainly have the auto-renew feature, a number of supporters on this board have complained about it, but I don't believe we've had anyone report like you've experienced that a card with new exp dates and CVV got through the auto-renew system.

Whether or not it has happened and people haven't put 2 and 2 together, or whether we just haven't had that particular circumstance happen to anyone yet, I don't know, but yeah, that's dodgy as all ****...

I and a lot of other members have always appreciated your input with everything that happens at Mars / Eureka, so if you're looking for a new team to support, obviously I can't speak on behalf of everyone but, I and the Dogs would be happy to have you.

Just can't promise that we're not up to the same sneaky tricks with our membership either... :grimacing:

Roogal, that is appalling behaviour of the club. I know a lot of members get renewed without permission, but I haven’t heard of getting highly confidential information shared. It might be worth reporting this to the ACCC or the like.

4Corners on Monday night was interesting it was on Live Nation who has taken over our music scene, cancelling music festivals if their shareholders won’t make enough money, what was more disgusting was they now own Ticketmaster, with a lot of hidden and extra fees laid on unnecessarily and they increase the prices if their is high demand.

I think our club is affiliated with Ticketek who are not much better than Ticketmaster, as our digital login is using the Ticketek login.

Unfortunately another push to turn our great game into a grab for cash.

I had a similar experience.

The WB automatically renewed for the 2023 season despite my not having authorised the payment. Like you I took exception to it but decided to let it roll. I heard on this forum that a number of others had the same thing happen to them that year so I guess it was a broadly applied approach.

By November 2023 my credit card had expired and - without me giving any approval for a payment - they asked me several times for my new CC details ... which I did not provide. I contacted membership in December 2023 saying I wanted to renew my membership (which incidentally is mostly just a donation due to my living interstate) but that I no longer trusted the club with my CC details so could they provide another method? EFT perhaps. Or Bill Pay.

They dutifully agreed and gave me a Bill Pay number some time in the new year. It failed, with my bank saying to contact the supplier for correct information. To cut the story short let me just say that this went on for months with repeated new attempts at supposedly correct BPay reference numbers. It was not until August (9 months later and almost the end of the footy season) that they finally gave me a correct BPay reference number and my membership went through.

I have provided feedback to the club about this. I said I doubted that it is legal and if it was any other commercial entity I would probably have lodged a complaint with the ACCC about the practice. Only my affection for the club prevented me doing so. I doubt my lone voice will make any difference so I wait to see what will happen for the 2025 season.

I think it is arrogant and disrespectful. I suspect it happens at all clubs. I understand why they do it (cost-cutting and streamlining) but every business in Australia wants to streamline and cut costs. That doesn't mean they are allowed to conduct unethical and probably illegal business practices.

If it's actually true (which I'm sorry but I still find hard to believe) that the credit card company sells CC information to anyone, but especially to disreputable companies like the major ticketing agencies, then I am truly staggered.

It might explain a few things though. I expect the ticketing agency and its practices is the common link in all of this and it may be why the WB membership department (who I believe did genuinely try to help) had so much difficulty getting me the correct information for an alternative payment method.

This whole footy megabusiness is getting more and more corrupt every year. It's like a black hole - the more money involved the more it attracts the darker forces of the market place.

The only real difference between your experience and mine is that ultimately my heart ruled my head and I still rejoined. But kudos to you for taking a principled stand.

It's time to leak this saga to some investigative journalists I think. Ones outside the footy industry.
And if that doesn't work, to your local Federal MP.

We've had some complaints about auto-renewals in the past but I don't believe we're Ticketmaster. The big concern is that the new expiration dates and CVV were being used without your permission, I'd get in touch with the ACCC because that's a pretty big breach of privacy.

Think membership is Ticketmaster.
It is, and even if you go on your club membership app, there is no way to check your payment details or plan, or much less a way to edit or close your membership. They instead direct you to Ticketmaster. So, when you then go to the Ticketmaster website, they have absolutely no buttons for you to delete or to close your account. Convenient isn't it? I figured that the only way to cut it off was to ring the club and close my membership completely and to close the old credit card completely at the bank. I was mad with the North Melbourne FC for allowing such a breach of trust and privacy. I am not done either with the Bank or the Credit Card company. They still have some explaining to do too. I am seriously thinking about going to the Banking Industry Ombudsman to have this fully investigated as to how the Credit Card details were given to Ticketmaster?

I am not done either with the Bank or the Credit Card company. They still have some explaining to do too. I am seriously thinking about going to the Banking Industry Ombudsman to have this fully investigated as to how the Credit Card details were given to Ticketmaster?

Roogal

You should go to the Ombudsman with all the details, I can't believe that card companies selling details which are the 2 critical points of data to authorise any transaction on your account are permitted to sell that data.

From my perspective, my card expired in April this year (I'm on auto renew/monthly deductions) and the club actually both rang and emailed me to say my card had expired, and they were unable to deduct the May payment until I updated my card details (on Ticketmaster!).

That doesn't prove Ticketmaster (on behalf of the club) didn't already have my new expiry date and CVV, but seems unlikely given their contacting me.

The 4corners report regarding Live Nation (owners of Ticketmaster) highlighted how much music patrons, as well as footy/sports patrons, are being ripped off in this country. Dynamic pricing is applied to music events, F1 Grand Prix and others. It means the more demand there is, the higher the price moves automatically (like peak demand for Uber). Live Nation claim this is done in accordance with artists, yet the artists don't appear to be privy to the surge margin.

Living in Ballarat, we at least have the pleasure of ticket purchases for local events at Her Majesty's or the Civic Centre through their own ticketing service (Paul Kelly, Missy Higgins and the Bull sisters being 3 recent ones).

As dogwatch and others has been on about for a long time, the 2 big ticketing agencies are a blight on Australian sport and entertainment.

A caller to 774 yesterday also highlighted the other rort perpetuated on footy fans with the AFL being fully complicit. And that is forcing members of the FOUR prelim finals teams to 'register' IF their team makes the GF. I believe the current fee is about $3.95. And as the caller said, the ticketing companies provide NO service or product for this charge. Members of the 2 losing prelims pay for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, while winners of the prelim members get charged a FURTHER transaction fees the following week to purchase GF tickets.

It's theft in plain sight. There is NO need to pre-register at a cost for an event you may not even get to attend.

Events like Taylor Swift, F1 and countless others show you can pre-register FOR FREE to get a slot in a waiting lounge/queue by the VERY SAME ticketing agencies.

But EVERY year, somewhere between 50k and 100k plus members of prelim final teams (depending on their membership base) pay $3.95 for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So the agencies rake in six figure sums for NO effort or outlay on their part. And the corrupt AFL looks the other way.

If only I could believe the government, this one or ANY one, had the wherewithal to follow through and bring those rogue operators into line. But I'm resigned to the fact they'll get a slap on the wrist with a wet paper bag (to mix metaphors in true BF fashion!).

It's a disgrace, and it never changes. The duopoly needs to be not just broken or dismantled, but destroyed. With local operators, preferably independents or even at state level, encouraged. But pigs might fly... 😡

This absolutely sucks!
I had a similar experience with my memberships but the 'credit card company' [slash BANK] selling your card details is next level. As others have suggested, I hope you get onto the Ombudsman, ACCC, media or whoever can do something about this.
In my case, as I organise the BF player sponsorships, I discovered early this year that one which I paid for by card had been added to my other memberships in the 'roll over' system so I had paid $800 for it without my consent or knowledge. I contacted the club about it, as payments were still being taken out for it and told them it shouldn't be on there. They said they would remove it and refunded me $400 odd. But a week or two ago they sent an invoice for 2025 memberships with two lots of AFLW and two lots of AFL BF player sponsorships on it! Not sure if they have added on any other unapproved items as I haven't seen all the invoices.
I deleted my credit card details from the Ticketmaster site and told the club I won't be paying by the rollover system in future. They were kinda apologetic but said 'that's just the way the system is' and that members need to check their invoices and contact them if any charges need to be removed!!!
I asked to be put in touch with whoever is responsible for setting up a system where we can be charged for memberships without our consent and they said there isn't anyone at the club who arranges that, it is the same for every club as organised by the AFL.

This absolutely sucks!
I had a similar experience with my memberships but the 'credit card company' [slash BANK] selling your card details is next level. As others have suggested, I hope you get onto the Ombudsman, ACCC, media or whoever can do something about this.
In my case, as I organise the BF player sponsorships, I discovered early this year that one which I paid for by card had been added to my other memberships in the 'roll over' system so I had paid $800 for it without my consent or knowledge. I contacted the club about it, as payments were still being taken out for it and told them it shouldn't be on there. They said they would remove it and refunded me $400 odd. But a week or two ago they sent an invoice for 2025 memberships with two lots of AFLW and two lots of AFL BF player sponsorships on it! Not sure if they have added on any other unapproved items as I haven't seen all the invoices.
I deleted my credit card details from the Ticketmaster site and told the club I won't be paying by the rollover system in future. They were kinda apologetic but said 'that's just the way the system is' and that members need to check their invoices and contact them if any charges need to be removed!!!
I asked to be put in touch with whoever is responsible for setting up a system where we can be charged for memberships without our consent and they said there isn't anyone at the club who arranges that, it is the same for every club as organised by the AFL.
It's disgraceful.

Further evidence it's not just an individual rogue club but a systematised rort.

T&T need to be dismantled and whatever arises from the debris needs to be heavily regulated.

My local senator is David Pocock. Might be worth a chat ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back