Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

shows how much you know about footy in the modern game.

I think Leppitsch would have been a perfect match-up for Riewoldt. Of all defenders you could choose, no one was as versatile or brilliant overhead as what Leppitsch was.
Then you have Mal Michael on Lynch.
Michael thrived playing against big lumbering pack marking forwards. I seriously doubt Lynch manages 3 goals.

The midfield battle is a no contest.
Martin gets tagged by Copeland.
Lappin, Voss, Black, Hart overpower Richmond's mids.

Then it gets really interesting.
Who goes to Brown?
Lynch & Bradshaw.
Not to mention Power & Akermanis who rotate on and off the ball.

Who prevents one of the best utility players (White) from dropping back and intercepting everything Richmond throw at them?

Teams like Brisbane and Geelong somehow get marked down in those types of discussions because they were full of stars and relied on that elite talent. It’s almost like there’s no appreciation of the fact that both of them played with incredible cohesion, worked brilliantly together as teams, had definitive gameplans etc etc.

The "at times" since he's been at Geelong was exactly one season - 2016. Martin was the best player in the comp the next year and it's ebbed and flowed around many players since.

I'd have Wade ahead of Dangerfield, Selwood neck and neck (I think Dangerfield's best was better, but Selwood more consistent and for longer). For most players you need time after they've retired to be able to look back objectively. I'd have Garry Hocking right up there as well. And there are tons of others I never saw.

He’s sort of got a point. If it wasn’t for Dustys record breaking season he’d have 2 Brownlows. 33 votes is plenty to win one. Also has 8 AAs. I don’t see how Enright is close tbh. You’d pick Enright over Danger in your team? I don’t think I would.

yes we would, any team in the top 4 today would destroy them

Any team in the top 4 playing a team from 20 years ago would, if the person making the hypothesis is doing it properly, be taking them on under even playing conditions.

So the Brisbane side of that era would meet Richmond under the assumption that they too had all the same access to updated training methods, long term exposure to current rules, updated analysis, game day tactical trends, fitness expectations, and so forth - or vice versa, that the recent Richmond side would have time to adapt to 2001-2004 training,tactical, fitness and rule trends etc.

And Brisbane would wipe the floor with them in both scenarios.

When people make those calls - ‘current so and so would flog them’ - yes of course they would.

If you went back in time, picked up Don Bradman, plonked him in the middle of Edgbaston last week, Ollie Robinson’s medium pace would probably frighten him into retiring hurt before he’d put bat on ball.

If you brought him back and gave him 6 months to practice, he’d probably go out and crack 200 not out and walk off the field wondering why people were clapping him.

The "at times" since he's been at Geelong was exactly one season - 2016. Martin was the best player in the comp the next year and it's ebbed and flowed around many players since.

I'd have Wade ahead of Dangerfield, Selwood neck and neck (I think Dangerfield's best was better, but Selwood more consistent and for longer). For most players you need time after they've retired to be able to look back objectively. I'd have Garry Hocking right up there as well. And there are tons of others I never saw.
How is selwood more consistent then dangerfield? Dangerfield has 8 all australians and selwood 6. Danger averages 0.85 brownlow votes per game while selwood averages 0.68. Thats a massive difference. Their consistency is both pretty high and at best selwoods would be equal to danger.

And as you say Dangers highs were higher. Danger was also arguably the best player or at least equal best player in 2017 as well as 2016. He had 33 brownlow votes in 2017. Danger also in the top 3 players in the comp for about 5 seasons.

I dont think selwood was in the top 3 players in the comp in any season. Always around 4-10.

Any team in the top 4 playing a team from 20 years ago would, if the person making the hypothesis is doing it properly, be taking them on under even playing conditions.

So the Brisbane side of that era would meet Richmond under the assumption that they too had all the same access to updated training methods, long term exposure to current rules, updated analysis, game day tactical trends, fitness expectations, and so forth - or vice versa, that the recent Richmond side would have time to adapt to 2001-2004 training,tactical, fitness and rule trends etc.

When people make those calls - ‘current so and so would flog them’ - yes of course they would.

If you went back in time, picked up Don Bradman, plonked him in the middle of Edgbaston last week, Ollie Robinson’s medium pace would probably frighten him into retiring hurt before he’d put bat on ball.

If you brought him back and gave him 6 months to practice, he’d probably go out and crack 200 not out and walk off the field wondering why people were clapping him.
they wouldn't know how to deal with the pressure, it would be all over by 2 nd quarter, nah, i think you got it wrong and dont give the current player enough credit.

No they wouldn’t, lions team would be way way to slow to compete with any top side today let alone that Richmond side. Even putting aside the tactics and fitness the team composition would not work. Chaos footy always wins and their team comp are not suited to play it or play against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s sort of got a point. If it wasn’t for Dustys record breaking season he’d have 2 Brownlows. 33 votes is plenty to win one. Also has 8 AAs. I don’t see how Enright is close tbh. You’d pick Enright over Danger in your team? I don’t think I would.

Yeah but he didn't. There's also no doubt modern midfielders get a ton more votes than they used to.

If it wasn't for Ablett doing his shoulder in 2014 he'd have three Brownlows. This can go on and on. Who knows how many more accolades Fyfe would have if not for injury (people have forgotten how awesome he was at his peak).

they wouldn't know how to deal with the pressure, it would be all over by 2 nd quarter, nah, i think you got it wrong and dont give the current player enough credit.

No, because in your scenario they’d have been playing regularly against teams who play the same way, they would cope no problems and their higher skill level, superior physicality and general toughness would wipe Richmond off the field, regardless of what spin you want to put on it.

No they wouldn’t, lions team would be way way to slow to compete with any top side today let alone that Richmond side. Even putting aside the tactics and fitness the team composition would not work. Chaos footy always wins and their team comp are not suited to play it or play against it.

The lions team would be faster because the game they play is faster in current times.

Same as Richmond going back in time wouldn’t be as fast as they are 2017-2020 because fitness and training standards back then were lower.

Look up relativity and what it means.

The lions team would be faster because the game they play is faster in current times.

Same as Richmond going back in time wouldn’t be as fast as they are 2017-2020 because fitness and training standards back then were lower.

Look up relativity and what it means.

Pies 2023 would kill them in ground ball gets, pressure acts, turnovers and rebounds. Add in the fact that the game is more congested negating lions contested skills they primarily used as their strength back in the day, the game is over at the selection table.

Richmond is in this time period mate 🤣 in 20 years time come back to me.

Enright over Dangerfield.. Most Cats fans would say yes.
Enright's competition in his position is Bruce Doull. Absolute champion medium defender.

Pies 2023 would kill them in ground ball gets, pressure acts, turnovers and rebounds. Add in the fact that the game is more congested negating lions contested skills they primarily used as their strength back in the day, the game is over at the selection table.

Again, if this fantasy game happened, why do the 2001 lions have to play the Richmond of 17-20 under current conditions? How do you NOT understand this?

In 20 years time, any top four team would smash any Richmond side of 17-20.
It's easy to play this game.

No, because in your scenario they’d have been playing regularly against teams who play the same way, they would cope no problems and their higher skill level, superior physicality and general toughness would wipe Richmond off the field, regardless of what spin you want to put on it.
how would they cope when modern teams that were used to the pressure couldnt? it would be all over by 2 nd qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Back