Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Godfather Offer for Butters is three firsts.

If North offered Port three 1sts for Butters (including their 1st this year and next), I think they'd accept the offer and put it in the hands of the player to decide his future.

Eventually we need to put a line in the sand and decide to try and win it now rather than keep trading for magic beans because we will be better in the future.

Couldn't you suggest they did that this past off-season trading all their picks out (and future picks) to get all of Soldo, Sweet, Ratugolea and BZT?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't you suggest they did that this past off-season trading all their picks out (and future picks) to get all of Soldo, Sweet, Ratugolea and BZT?
Mmm? Three of those are settling very nicely into a groove, whilst the third, while out injured, acquitted himself nicely early on. Win the next two games, and Port finish 1 or 2 with a double chance, and go into finals on a roll as one of the favorites, with every other team in the 8 playing hot & cold!

I dunno, but maybe a tad premature to bag the trading done last year!

PS: I know, I know ... "Straight sets" and all of that, But the damn buggers have got me on the edge of believing again!

You could but I would suggest that we are constantly trying to improve the list by playing whatever is in front of us.

If the draft is good we go there, if the free agents are good we go there, if the trades are good we go there.

Which is a sound strategy to ensure that the list is always good.

If you want to win a flag though I think at some stage you need to decide when you want the list to peak, even if it costs you a little long term and go all in for that rather than fluctuate based on the external circumstances.

You know I have long been a fan of our list guys and for the most part they get it right. I just worry that they may sometimes fall into the trap of always wanting to improve the list for the long term but never actually getting it to peak.

It works in Championship Manager but I'm just not sure that it does in real life.

You know I have long been a fan of our list guys and for the most part they get it right. I just worry that they may sometimes fall into the trap of always wanting to improve the list for the long term but never actually getting it to peak.

It works in Championship Manager but I'm just not sure that it does in real life.
I agree with you, afraid to fall off the cliff

Part of the complication is the impending arrival of Tassie and the years of compromised drafts. You need to profile your list to cover that drought period whilst still competing for a premiership in the lead up years. Get it wrong and you could be in for some very lean years.

You could but I would suggest that we are constantly trying to improve the list by playing whatever is in front of us.

If the draft is good we go there, if the free agents are good we go there, if the trades are good we go there.

Which is a sound strategy to ensure that the list is always good.

If you want to win a flag though I think at some stage you need to decide when you want the list to peak, even if it costs you a little long term and go all in for that rather than fluctuate based on the external circumstances.

I see your point, but I don't agree with the idea that they're consistently putting off actually having a timeline for when they expect the list to peak.

It's pretty clear to me that whilst you've got all of Rozee, Butters, JHF, Bergman, Georgiades, Burgoyne, Logan Evans, Jones, Mead, Sinn, Marshall, BZT and Visentini all 25 years old or less. Their talent, particularly the first three allows you to compete right now - whilst you have an eye to keep adding to the list such that when these players enter their prime years (from age 25-29), the list is demographically in the "premiership window."

The notion that they push out the premiership window to further and further down the track only makes sense if they were consistently getting rid of established best 23 players in favour of going younger. Outside of the 2018/19 off-season where there was a clear shift in how they wanted the list to look going forward, they haven't come close to making such moves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back