Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

How injured was Butters to start the game?

He didn't play his usual way and seemed to sub himself off and not bother with the doctor which shows he was not fit to play.

Is this another rehash of playing an injured player so Hinkley has a chance of winning over resting his injury for the sake of the player like Connor earlier in the year?

IIRC, at the start of the 2nd, I think Max Holmes who has BOG got a centre clearance and Butters struggled to run with him it looked like because of his ribs and then the footballer came in and then he put on the jets but Holmes was too fast. I don't think he did much after that.
Bowes absolutely hit him with a hard tackle to his side driving him into the ground as Butters got a kick away to Rioli which led to our first goal (hand off to Burton) I remember thinking at the time wow that’s a finals type tackle but I wonder if Geelong were aware of his ribs being an issue.

Bowes absolutely hit him with a hard tackle to his side driving him into the ground as Butters got a kick away to Rioli which led to our first goal (hand off to Burton) I remember thinking at the time wow that’s a finals type tackle but I wonder if Geelong were aware of his ribs being an issue.
That was the tackle that killed him. He couldn’t run after that and spent quite a bit of time hunched over in the middle of the ground. That was about 15 before half time and coincidentally when things really turned. If you watch Butters for this last 15 minutes he can’t get a run up, he stays on the outer of the stoppage.he looked like he was in a lot of pain.

What's this talk that Caro and Cornes alluded to that Butters coming off had something to do with anxiety?
God if I’m reading this post correctly, what a scummy thing to do by whoever leaked that information to them. Arguably our best player and if he’s had a panic attack (which is totally understandable and not something he should be criticised for), why the **** would someone share that information that Zak would absolutely want to have kept private.
And furthermore, what an incredibly selfish thing for those Ken defenders to pump out on a highly viewed TV show just so they can say “I was right, see Ken’s not a bad coach for subbing Butters off, it’s Zak’s fault”.
Of course, I don’t watch footy classified, so if someone wants to link a clip to prove me right or wrong that would be greatly appreciated, but holy **** if I’m right that is well and truly despicable.

That was the tackle that killed him. He couldn’t run after that and spent quite a bit of time hunched over in the middle of the ground. That was about 15 before half time and coincidentally when things really turned. If you watch Butters for this last 15 minutes he can’t get a run up, he stays on the outer of the stoppage.he looked like he was in a lot of pain.
It happened in the first qtr just before our first goal.

God if I’m reading this post correctly, what a scummy thing to do by whoever leaked that information to them. Arguably our best player and if he’s had a panic attack (which is totally understandable and not something he should be criticised for), why the **** would someone share that information that Zak would absolutely want to have kept private.
And furthermore, what an incredibly selfish thing for those Ken defenders to pump out on a highly viewed TV show just so they can say “I was right, see Ken’s not a bad coach for subbing Butters off, it’s Zak’s fault”.
Of course, I don’t watch footy classified, so if someone wants to link a clip to prove me right or wrong that would be greatly appreciated, but holy **** if I’m right that is well and truly despicable.

Watch the video in this post. They refer to Buckley saying something on radio. Would explain why the AFLPA was quick to snuff out Cornes’ attack on Butters. Would also explain why Kane has walked back his stance on Butters.

According to Kane, Port players need to sacrifice their health and safety to save Poor Kenny's job.

And LOL at Kane noting the "medical report".

Didn't that quack Port doctor say Rozee was fit for the showdown and Alier Alier had a "migraine" after his concussion?

My initial thought on Butters getting subbed out was the coaching staff giving up on the game at HT and putting him on ice for the following week.

I was chatting with my lads about this. Things felt weird at half time, like they'd already given up.

Surely not though. What a loser thing to do.

I was chatting with my lads about this. Things felt weird at half time, like they'd already given up.

Surely not though. What a loser thing to do.
20 points down yeah

If he is playing as sore as he is suggested to be, should play almost full time forward, swapping the role that jhf played last week. Would be damaging delivering the ball into 50 and is a scoring threat.
Yeah like the robby gray role, thats sounds good.

your right He will get smashed in the midfield all game, probs is not worth playing midfield.

Yeah like the robby gray role, thats sounds good.

your right He will get smashed in the midfield all game, probs is not worth playing midfield.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Jedheads, your time has come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he plays this week we are dumb. You can’t carry blokes in finals!
We had multiple players who were carrying significant injuries in 2004. The main ones that spring to mind were Brendon Lade and his back stress fractures and Michael Wilson's shoulder hanging by a thread. Most premiership sides would have similar stories of players playing through injuries.

They were talking up pre game last week that we were in a much healthier state both physically and mentally than the year before and now that we got our arses handed to us all the excuses about underdone players come out.

I saw Cornes on the Sunday Footy Show and his attack on Butters implied clearly he thought Zak was being weak.

He can read out chosen words in a dispassionate tone a day later, when he's been called out, but his implication was crystal clear.

This coming from a bloke who quit his football club halfway through a season, then quit the fireys when the media opportunity arose.

You don't really know but it looks like Butters was pretty banged up, played as you do, got a decent hit early and had major problems and left the game shortly after.

I'm going to give Zak a break.

The reason I'm going to give him a break because it's not in his history.

Last edited:
Zak is a champion and would always put his hand up to play. But was he tested? I remember Choco would personally test any player who had soreness etc.

Absolutely right Tredders. Shut your stinking hole for once Kornes.

I watched his in-depth interview recently where he said how he'd basically modelled his media persona on his dad - the shock-jock stuff. Not that he makes his opinions up, but he definitely exaggerates them for the sake of impact. But in this case he's just wrong, and a w@nker.

Interesting discussion (not!) but what does it mean for Friday? There is no sensible footy "expert" or anyone who has a passing interest in the game who would ever doubt Zac's courage. His peers recently voted him the most courageous player out of 700 AFL footballers. Ignore the Kornes noise- he models his media career on KG not daddy. It was KG who more often than not said the truly outrageous to get the phones ringing.

Therefore, if Zac couldn't get up on a 11 day break from an injury we didn't even notice, give me a logical reason to explain how he is expected to run out a game on on an 8 day break from the same injury, only so much worse because this time he couldn't play the second half. The overwhelming logic says he doesn't play.

It would be the stuff of legends even if he could get through the game on a wing or in the forward line or even as a break glass sub but if we truly "exist to win premierships" and not just to "win quarter finals", again, he doesn't play. The chances of Zac winning a Norm Smith are lower if he limps through the finals than if he gives his body a 15 day break and (hopefully) plays a prelim.

Don't get me wrong, I am desperate for him to play. He is the heart of this club at the moment. But even if "no structural damage" is true (and I doubt it), someone please give a logical, reasoned explanation how we can justify playing him.

Last edited:
Kornes only ever risked injury tripping over a hot dog vendor or a throwing a shoulder while appealing for his teammate to chip it backwards to him. His opinion means shit.

Zak's toughness been validated multiple times by his peers

/End Thread

Zak is a champion and would always put his hand up to play. But was he tested? I remember Choco would personally test any player who had soreness etc.
He was certainly tested. He came out in the warmup after halftime on the field and could hardly move. We were watching him from our end of the field and it was very obvious. He then had a long chat to the doc and went straight to the bench for the first bounce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back