Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone talking about the board sacking Koch has to remember that he picked the overwhelming majority of them.
Hopefully Tredders is talking to people behind the scenes. He and Koch have a strained relationship (putting it mildly), so I would expect that he's not saying things to his fellow board members that paint Kochie in a positive light. Fingers crossed it has some effect.

How Hinkley survived:
  • the Showdown 43 + 2017 EF home loss;
  • the 2018 11-4 fiasco;
  • the R22 2019 86pts loss to North + missing Finals;
  • the 2021 PF home loss;
  • the 2022 season, missing Finals; and
  • the 2023 straight-sets exit.
How can anyone look at this list and say it’s all fine?

Hopefully Tredders is talking to people behind the scenes. He and Koch have a strained relationship (putting it mildly), so I would expect that he's not saying things to his fellow board members that paint Kochie in a positive light. Fingers crossed it has some effect.
Is this still true? I feel like this is patched over now.

Is this still true? I feel like this is patched over now.
I'd be surprised if it's not still simmering below the surface. Tredders wants what's best for Port Adelaide - he's stated categorically that he wants to help Port to a second flag. Meanwhile it's as plain as the nose on Bill Lawry's face that Koch thinks that just making finals is enough. Opposing views like that can't remain harmonious for very long.

How Hinkley survived:
  • the Showdown 43 + 2017 EF home loss;
  • the 2018 11-4 fiasco;
  • the R22 2019 86pts loss to North + missing Finals;
  • the 2021 PF home loss;
  • the 2022 season, missing Finals; and
  • the 2023 straight-sets exit.
How can anyone look at this list and say it’s all fine?

The issue for me is, it’s not just that he survived, it’s that those who wanted him held accountable were treated like delusional idiots who don’t understand football for feeling that way.

Then when he pulls a rabbit out of a hat — ie, finishing minor premier in the asterisk forest that was COVID — they double down, dunking in our faces while simultaneously deeming Hinkley a miracle worker for ‘exceeding all expectations’.

He’s the reason the expectations were at rock bottom in the first place!

It’s like being in an abusive relationship, except your judgemental mother is siding with him because he smiles and is generally quiet and inoffensive at Christmas.

Time to get your feelings hurt.
It’s not happening, well at least till 2026.
And if we do happen to win the flag this year that will push the date back at least 2-3 years.
Type away but that’s the way it is.
Without letting my personal feelings get in the way here is what I would advocate if I was in a decision making capacity at Alberton.

If we win this week Hinkley sees out his contract.

If we lose, it will be about how we lose. If Hinkley brings a team where preparation is not done correctly and we get blown away early, as we have been done so many times before then he must go.

If we lose but we play like we did last week I think there is a discussion that needs to be had about whether he is the best person moving forward.

The issue here more than anything else is - Can Hinkley prepare a team to play that is capable of winning 3 finals games in a row. If the answer is No then he should be asked to clear his locker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue for me is, it’s not just that he survived, it’s that those who wanted him held accountable were treated like delusional idiots who don’t understand football for feeling that way.

Then when he pulls a rabbit out of a hat — ie, finishing minor premier in the asterisk forest that was COVID — they double down, dunking in our faces while simultaneously deeming Hinkley a miracle worker for ‘exceeding all expectations’.

It’s like being in an abusive relationship, except your judgemental mother is siding with him because he smiles and is generally quiet and inoffensive at Christmas.

Whateley condescending to us still pisses me off.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, this brings us to this:
It doesn’t make any sense. I’m out of arguments. It’s bloody obvious, but people simply refuse to see it.

Without letting my personal feelings get in the way here is what I would advocate if I was in a decision making capacity at Alberton.

If we lose, it will be about how we lose. If Hinkley brings a team where preparation is not done correctly and we get blown away early, as we have been done so many times before then he must go.

If we lose but we play like we did last week I think there is a discussion that needs to be had about whether he is the best person moving forward.

The issue here more than anything else is - Can Hinkley prepare a team to play that is capable of winning 3 finals games in a row. If the answer is No then he should be asked to clear his locker.
You don’t have to convince me I’m with you.
Unfortunately the reality is he will be coach at least next year and if we go all the way this year the sack Hinkley thread will make the Bible look like a short story.
It is what it is.

You don’t have to convince me I’m with you.
Unfortunately the reality is he will be coach at least next year and if we go all the way this year the sack Hinkley thread will make the Bible look like a short story.
It is what it is.
I'm not convinced of that yet. I think a fair bit depends on Friday night. Which is soooooo wrong.

And once the season is over I think there will be a realisation that a 3 point win against Hawthorn changes nothing.

Last edited:
Man I hope you're right Chewy, admittedly Koch has seemed to be more absent this year than previous.....but if all it takes is him making a couple of media appearances to upset many at the club and go against the clubs direction, is his position actually all that tenable?

The timing with this latest one is very poor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The timing is rat shit.

His position is tenable because off the field he's done a ton right. But if these comments lead to a downturn in on-field performance on Friday night, these comments will come under considerable scrutiny from the big wigs at the Club.

This should absolutely not be the case. Just because it "looks ok" doesn't mean that it is.

A ruthless club like the old Port Adelaide absolutely didn't think this way.

Just because you get away with it once doesn't mean it is acceptable.

If it is detrimental, it is detrimental and those types need to be weeded out ASAP.

Sometimes shit clubs had one off success and beat Port.

Port won consistently because they had ruthless accountability and standards that were enforced relentlessly. Win, lose or draw.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you're getting yourself too worked up about these comments. They only mean something if the Footy Committee at the end of the season recommends Ken be sacked only for Koch to veto the decision. At that point it would be fair game to go nuclear on Koch. They also have meaning if they directly lead to a downturn in on-field performance on Friday night.

But if they win on Friday night, how exactly does David's comments yesterday hurt the Club?

This is pretty much exactly how the Club are viewing the situation.

I'm not sure I agree with your notion that his future riding on this game is soooo wrong as you put it. In a vacuum, potentially. But at the end of the day, he needs to win the big games. Ken has always been able to get the Club into a good position going into finals, only to screw up in finals. Finals are what will make or break his future going forward. So as crazy as it might seem to be judging his future on a single game, I look at it as the culmination of his career to date has set the situation up such that it dictates his future to be decided by that game on Friday night.

If Koch is the Chairman, who exactly are the big wigs Chewy316 ?

The top leaders at the Club in executive type positions are the Board of Directors (including Koch), Richo as CEO, and CD as head of footy.

Just imagine AFL360 next Monday if we get smashed, and Ken is given his marching orders - it'll be like a wake at a funeral, and Whateley will declare mournfully, "So Port fans have finally got what they wanted, but from my point of view this is a sad day for football, because the career of one of the great coaches in the history of the game is no more."

Just imagine AFL360 next Monday if we get smashed, and Ken is given his marching orders - it'll be like a wake at a funeral, and Whateley will declare mournfully, "So Port fans have finally got what they wanted, but from my point of view this is a sad day for football, because the career of one of the great coaches in the history of the game is no more."
The footy media has the memory of a goldfish. This is the reality. We start playing good footy and winning premierships and the memory of Ken's sacking will be gone with the wind. The same goes for our current position. The answer is winning.

You should try reading every board except the Hawthorn board then, because about 95% of non Hawks supporters have no problem with what Ken did and see the reaction as a massive sook.
95% of neutral supporters think Ken is a "top bloke" who has done a great job with basket case Port Power. Not a great resource to point to there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back