Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I said that it will be hard for Mitch and Todd in a game we are expecting to get smashed, and pointed out that Dixon, our senior star kf has notched up 3 goals in the last two meetings with melb while our team was performing much better than it is now

It’s not ******* rocket science.

Nor is the need to back up a good performance. Plenty of average footballers have filled their boots once or twice in their careers against poor opposition. Tom Lynch (Crows) has a bag of 10.

Todd played well, he really did, but so too did maligned Himmelberg and the unknown Gollant.

Just goes to show performance can be relative to the standard of the opponent.
No doubt he lucked out on Frampton, still a confidence boost.

Dixon doesn't exactly dine out on better opposition either tbh.

Todd played well, he really did, but so too did maligned Himmelberg and the unknown Gollant.

Just goes to show performance can be relative to the standard of the opponent.

That is the reality of things. He did some good things like smashing 2 blokes in tackles early on and lacing mayes on the chest on his left. His 1st goal, his man was trailing 2 metres and decided to stop and watch him take an uncontested mark instead of chase. His 2nd, a crows player rated one of his marks so much, he tried to go up and congratulate him on the run through and gave away 50m. The third, someone pushed a crow into him, dropped a mark and then gave off a handball in the goal square. Goals 4 and 5 showed genuine forward craft, but on a terrible opponent with half the forward line open for him to lead into. He also kicked straight which is a flip of a coin on the night. Everything that possibly could have gone right for him did. Hopefully it gives him some confidence to come back next week, but to pretend what he did tonight is repeatable is a massive stretch. Needs to be more ruthless, whether that is kicking straight on a quiet night so he still gets 1-2 goals from 1-2 shots or belting blokes so he can have a good zero goal game like Dixon. Either way he needs to find ways to contribute more often.

I also like how bigfooty has conveniently decided to attribute Marshall’s game to playing on one key defender cause it fits a narrative, even though anyone whose watched footy would know that teams haven’t played man on man defensive assignments in nearly a decade.

Adelaide, just like us and every other team play their defenders in zones and those defenders pick up what ever kf happens to be in their zone.

It’s why one minute clurey will be standing a 192cm bloke then standing a 200cm bloke the next (while that 192cm bloke is suddenly next to Alir)

Kfs will find themselves on different defenders nearly minute to minute throughout a game.

The closest a kf comes to being stood by one key defender is if you have a kf that doesn’t stray too much.

Adelaide had more key defenders than we had key forwards. it’s likely Marshall found himself on all of them at some point (and more than one at times) he was moving around the ground a lot. It’s also possible that he happened to exploit one particular one more than the others.

But on the whole Adelaide’s tall defenders, butts doedee and Frampton love to sit under high balls - this also brings rob into the game as he parks his butt around chb to intercept but they are pretty slow. Spotting and using leads exposes them. We did it with Marshall and it paid off. We should be doing it more.

But yeah, Adelaide are not a good team and it’s going to get harder against better teams.

How about string 3 games together before going the crow.
lol I literally said that people would say this should be his baseline and then there were calls of having to back it up.

Strange how the player that can't play as a key forward played like a key forward when we actually created space and hit up leads.

It doesn't matter that it was against the Crows, that he was playing against Frampton. He has the ability to play the position. The system is poor, from both a structural and development point of view.

For a minute there I thought our team realised that Marshall is good as a lead up type forward with footy smarts and can lose his player easily.

Then we decided to bomb it long for 10 minutes in the last quarter to no effect.

Yep, early on I was genuinely stunned because we were lowering our eyes, clearing out space and honouring leads. And it was working. Our forward line, for once, wasn't the problem apart from some wayward goalkicking.

Then when the heat was turned up, we reverted to muscle memory and started launching high balls to nobody as a primary forward entry strategy again.

Tonight's game should show beyond any shadow of a doubt that Marshall is a smart player who is quite capable of marking on the lead and getting separation from his man, but our normal forward strategy doesn't allow him to be that player. It doesn't allow Mitch to do much either, and he'll be the next player the fanbase starts to turn on if we don't get rid of this awful coach and start playing with a functional forward strategy.

Strange how the player that can't play as a key forward played like a key forward when we actually created space and hit up leads.

It doesn't matter that it was against the Crows, that he was playing against Frampton. He has the ability to play the position. The system is poor, from both a structural and development point of view.

Nothing good he did could be attributed to his height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he was challenged to step up last night (was probably line ball between him and Finlayson at selection) and he did. Even during the first quarter his physicality and contest was noticeably improved. Now we need to see it every week not just as a one off.

No doubt he lucked out on Frampton, still a confidence boost.

Dixon doesn't exactly dine out on better opposition either tbh.
I'm so sick on Dixon being heralded as some kind of giant in terms of a goal kicking forward. The most he's kicked is 49 goals in a season. Hardly Lockett or Dunstall.

I think he was challenged to step up last night (was probably line ball between him and Finlayson at selection) and he did. Even during the first quarter his physicality and contest was noticeably improved. Now we need to see it every week not just as a one off.

Yeah I'll be honest. I thought Marshall should've got dropped instead of Finlayson but Marshall was magnificent last night. I don't expect him to kick 5 goals every game, but if he can kick 2 goals a game and lay some strong tackles he's earnt his spot every week as an unquestionable starter.

Yeah I'll be honest. I thought Marshall should've got dropped instead of Finlayson but Marshall was magnificent last night. I don't expect him to kick 5 goals every game, but if he can kick 2 goals a game and lay some strong tackles he's earnt his spot every week as an unquestionable starter.
2 goals a game makes him an unquestionable starter?

2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion puts him in the top handful and in the Coleman medal race.

That’s not a ‘earned his spot’ measurement. That’s a best few in the league measurement.

For a minute there I thought our team realised that Marshall is good as a lead up type forward with footy smarts and can lose his player easily.

Then we decided to bomb it long for 10 minutes in the last quarter to no effect.
Hinkley and Bassett just won’t admit their preferred setup sucks dogs balls. They reluctantly do differently, but if it works, it’s like they want to show, that is not the reason why we won, so revert to their preferred plan once ahead enough. Well, hopefully last nights latest attempt at ‘bringing it to ground then hoping’ gets them both out the club.

Next week we’ll be lucky to have 20 inside 50’s, but I still expect the Marshall detractors to use our few and far between panic bombs to contests as reason to get stuck into him.

Last edited:
2 goals a game makes him an unquestionable starter?

2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion puts him in the top handful and in the Coleman medal race.

That’s not a ‘earned his spot’ measurement. That’s a best few in the league measurement.
Way to overreact.

He didn't say 2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion. He said 2 goals a game and lay some tackles. It was clear it was an off the cuff estimate not a baseline. And no, 2 goals a game wouldn't put him in the top ten of the coleman last year.

Not only are you twisting somebody's words with your "2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion" crap you are playing the 'everyone expects to much from Marshall' card again which is part of a tired hand.

Yes, he had a great night, did a lot right on a rare night where to coaches let mobile forwards play to their strength against a player I am not sure we will see again at AFL level. He showed some good forward craft and some nous going inside 50. Hopefully he considers it a breakout game and uses it to onward and upward.

He still looked at sea trying to go for a contested mark and kicked for goal more accurately than he has in his entire career. Make no mistake it was against Frampton that Marshall did his best work.

Way to overreact.

He didn't say 2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion. He said 2 goals a game and lay some tackles. It was clear it was an off the cuff estimate not a baseline. And no, 2 goals a game wouldn't put him in the top ten of the coleman last year.

Not only are you twisting somebody's words with your "2 goals a game as a baseline with more on occasion" crap you are playing the 'everyone expects to much from Marshall' card again which is part of a tired hand.

Yes, he had a great night, did a lot right on a rare night where to coaches let mobile forwards play to their strength against a player I am not sure we will see again at AFL level. He showed some good forward craft and some nous going inside 50. Hopefully he considers it a breakout game and uses it to onward and upward.

He still looked at sea trying to go for a contested mark and kicked for goal more accurately than he has in his entire career. Make no mistake it was against Frampton that Marshall did his best work.
He said this

I don't expect him to kick 5 goals every game, but if he can kick 2 goals a game and lay some strong tackles he's earnt his spot every week as an unquestionable starter.
which implies 2 goals a game as a minimum with some bags thrown in.

and do your research regarding the Coleman.

Hawkins won it last year, he finished the regular season with 54 goals.

2 goals a game equals 44 goals, and couple of extra bags yeah, that’s in Coleman medal contention.

If Marshall averaged 2 goals a game for the rest of the season he would finish with 46 goals. 8 behind last years winner and good enough for a top 5 finish.

I’m explaining simple concepts again and again.

People are living in fantasy land regarding what they believe the normal output for a kf is.

It’s been proven with the amount of times we’ve had posters say straight up they expect Marshall to get these numbers, (like 15d and 2 goals a game) for me to prove that those numbers are incredibly rare.

1648905385908.png

Over the last decade a player has generally had to score at least 65 goals a season to get a Coleman, which is more like 3 goals per game. Kicking <50 goals a season generally doesn't get you anywhere near the top 5 in the Coleman. Expecting your key forward to average 2 goals a game is not unreasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back