Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Marshall but at this stage it seems Todd has developed despite Hinkley, not because of him.
Ken played Marshall despite everyone on this board (myself included) consistently bagging him out and saying he wouldn't make it. Ken saw something and persisted, and when Todd finally starts to vindicate Ken, you say it's despite of Hinkely and not because of him?

The easy option would have been for Ken to drop Marshall and not play him in the AFL side.

I'm no Ken fan, but this just shows the sort of bias he's up against - you have to give credit where credit is due.

The issue is form/confidence. The talent is still there and he manages to get multiple shots on goal a game. Once he gets over his mental demons he’ll be quite the player. I don’t think dropping him to the twos will do anything other than make his issues worse

I agree that the issue is form/confidence - however I think dropping him to the twos is the solution.

Previously he was getting multiple shots at goal and just not converting them - and I think keeping him in the AFL side at that point is the right thing to do.

However now he's not finding the ball, is constantly running under the ball, mistiming his jumps and just bereft of general confidence. Playing in the AFL is only going to make it worse.

He needs to find his touch and find the ball more, and he's not going to do that up against the best defenders in the country. Either he plays in a different position to find the ball more (wing, down back, whatever) - or he goes into the reserves and beats up on some weaker opposition.

I'm personally questioning whether his mind is elsewhere and he wants to go back home.

On a side note, I was really disappointed that nobody went and helped him when Noble stood over him and shoved him to the ground a few times. Where were our leaders? That stuff is not on, someone should have gone in and helped him out.

part of the issue that I see is that Todd, Dixon and Mitch all play the same role. One answer would be to have Dixon play higher up the ground and more of the third tall/resting ruck role. That would allow Todd and Mitch to play closer to goal.

But I think Mitch has been alright. Give him more time, let him settle. Let him enjoy his footy. It’ll work itself out.

Now on the Hinkley not developing players or KPPs. It’s BS. I’m not a fan of Hinkley anymore and believe he has made mistakes at selection and that his game plan has more holes that Swiss cheese. But he undoubtedly has supported and developed players.

• Jonas as a KPD
  • McKenzie went from wingman to KPD at Port
  • Alir was AA at port
  • Dixon was an inconsistent and injury prone KPF at the suns, he has been better at Port no doubt
  • Finlayson played a very different role at Port and was very good
  • Schulz was much better at Port and during Hinkley’s reign was borderline AA
  • Clurey and Todd have been developed during Hinkley’s tenure
  • Howard and Ladhams had games early in their careers at Port and were supported by Hinkley, whether their trades will hurt Port remains to be seen
  • Mitch has been supported and given games
  • Lobbe developed under Hinkley

- Frampton, Shaw, Butcher, Austin, Lienert, Redden, Renouf and Skinner all got games and were supported during the Hinkley era. None have hurt us since leaving the club.

- Grundy and Harvey are the only ones who really never looked like it.

We have lost Impey, Amon and Wingard - none have really set the world on fire.

I would also suggested we look at other clubs and how they have gone developing KPPs. Most take time, most require a good system, good fitness and regular support to build their confidence. Few coaches can claim to regular develop champion players. Hinkley has his faults but supporting junior players and developing them, is not one of them.

part of the issue that I see is that Todd, Dixon and Mitch all play the same role. One answer would be to have Dixon play higher up the ground and more of the third tall/resting ruck role. That would allow Todd and Mitch to play closer to goal.

But I think Mitch has been alright. Give him more time, let him settle. Let him enjoy his footy. It’ll work itself out.

Now on the Hinkley not developing players or KPPs. It’s BS. I’m not a fan of Hinkley anymore and believe he has made mistakes at selection and that his game plan has more holes that Swiss cheese. But he undoubtedly has supported and developed players.

• Jonas as a KPD
  • McKenzie went from wingman to KPD at Port
  • Alir was AA at port
  • Dixon was an inconsistent and injury prone KPF at the suns, he has been better at Port no doubt
  • Finlayson played a very different role at Port and was very good
  • Schulz was much better at Port and during Hinkley’s reign was borderline AA
  • Clurey and Todd have been developed during Hinkley’s tenure
  • Howard and Ladhams had games early in their careers at Port and were supported by Hinkley, whether their trades will hurt Port remains to be seen
  • Mitch has been supported and given games
  • Lobbe developed under Hinkley

- Frampton, Shaw, Butcher, Austin, Lienert, Redden, Renouf and Skinner all got games and were supported during the Hinkley era. None have hurt us since leaving the club.

- Grundy and Harvey are the only ones who really never looked like it.

We have lost Impey, Amon and Wingard - none have really set the world on fire.

I would also suggested we look at other clubs and how they have gone developing KPPs. Most take time, most require a good system, good fitness and regular support to build their confidence. Few coaches can claim to regular develop champion players. Hinkley has his faults but supporting junior players and developing them, is not one of them.
Lol. This should be good.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree that the issue is form/confidence - however I think dropping him to the twos is the solution.

Previously he was getting multiple shots at goal and just not converting them - and I think keeping him in the AFL side at that point is the right thing to do.

However now he's not finding the ball, is constantly running under the ball, mistiming his jumps and just bereft of general confidence. Playing in the AFL is only going to make it worse.

He needs to find his touch and find the ball more, and he's not going to do that up against the best defenders in the country. Either he plays in a different position to find the ball more (wing, down back, whatever) - or he goes into the reserves and beats up on some weaker opposition.

I'm personally questioning whether his mind is elsewhere and he wants to go back home.

On a side note, I was really disappointed that nobody went and helped him when Noble stood over him and shoved him to the ground a few times. Where were our leaders? That stuff is not on, someone should have gone in and helped him out.
Clearly you are watching a different Mitch:
  • Multiple shots on goal. 4.5 a match. Equal 4th in the league and the same number as Todd.
  • 13.5 disposals a match. 5th in the league. More than Larkey, Ben Brown, Curnow, McDonald, Todd etc etc.
  • 6 marks a game. Equal 5th. More than Todd, Curnow, McDonald etc etc. 3 of those marks are inside 50.
If he was averaging even 2.3 goals a game from those 4.5 shots everyone would be well pleased. He is not, he is kicking terribly and averaging a goal a game after two games. If he looks down in confidence it is probably because he is a paid goalkicker and he is not kicking anywhere near the goals he should be from his opportunities. That is probably what he is thinking about rather than going home. Unlike Tredrea, and many other key forwards who have had the yips, the coach has not got him a kicking coach to help him through them. Even Billy Brownless spent time with Tredrea to help him out after he kicked 31 goals 35 behinds in 2000. Who is helping Mitch? He is only 21 years old, was 20 last year (obviously). He possibly has never had the yips like this in his life.

It is one aspect of his game that is letting him down. Otherwise he is doing fine. Better than fine. You mention Marshall in another post. Compare Mitch to Todd two games into his breakout year:
  • Average 1.5 shots
  • 4 disposals
  • 33% shot accuracy
  • 2 marks
In 2009 Tredrea had not kicked a goal after 2 games and went on to kick 51 and win our best and fairest.

So maybe we give Todd at least 3 or 4 games before dropping him, trading him, or making him a defender. Perhaps we leave him in the goal square for a couple of games to give him some simple shots at goal? What do you say? Jeez,

I've literally never heard anyone say that the player rating system is any better than any other string of attempts to quantify on field performance over the years.

Here are 'literally' two separate sources discussing the validity of the AFL player ratings and their value in predicting performance. In fact one of them goes into detail about how the player ratings are better than Supercoach scores.

There is your 'literal' evidence, as opposed to your ill informed opinion.

Its honestly nothing but a bunch of subjective KPIs some nerd came up with.

They are not subjective KPIs some nerd came up with. They use a range of metrics, most of which the general public don't have access to, to quantify the relative effect that a players action has on the expected value of the next score. If you had a brain, you would release that that is actually a very objective methodology of quantifying player performance.

Do you really think Hardwick or Clarko are scrutinizing the player ratings when assessing their players performance?

Yes I do think people in clubs use it. Is it the whole truth? No. But along with other statistical metrics and tape it is quick way to assess how a player is going and their value. Here is a quote from Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data.

Our stuff is a piece of the puzzle and it’s a big puzzle.... everyone uses it at club land but to their own different degrees.

All you're doing is twisting a set of numbers to suit your argument. A set of numbers that few would agree suitably reflect real life performance.

I'm not twisting any numbers. Those are the numbers. I'm not lying about them or misconstruing their meaning. They are what they are, they measure player performance. On the whole, I would suggest most people do agree with them. Most of the time people disagree with them because some whipping boy has been given a decent score and people can't see past their own biases when assessing player performance. Which is exactly the purpose and value of the ratings.

You're allowed an opinion, but defending it with player ratings is a weak argument.

I'd rather defend an opinion with actual evidence and data than defend it with...nothing. With the vibe or whatever you believe in

Mitch Georgiades is in shit form. You can see that pretty clearly with your own eyes, you don't even need any metrics to tell that. The numbers merely match up with reality in this case.

Here are 'literally' two separate sources discussing the validity of the AFL player ratings and their value in predicting performance. In fact one of them goes into detail about how the player ratings are better than Supercoach scores.

There is your 'literal' evidence, as opposed to your ill informed opinion.

They are not subjective KPIs some nerd came up with. They use a range of metrics, most of which the general public don't have access to, to quantify the relative effect that a players action has on the expected value of the next score. If you had a brain, you would release that that is actually a very objective methodology of quantifying player performance.

Yes I do think people in clubs use it. Is it the whole truth? No. But along with other statistical metrics and tape it is quick way to assess how a player is going and their value. Here is a quote from Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data.

I'm not twisting any numbers. Those are the numbers. I'm not lying about them or misconstruing their meaning. They are what they are, they measure player performance. On the whole, I would suggest most people do agree with them. Most of the time people disagree with them because some whipping boy has been given a decent score and people can't see past their own biases when assessing player performance. Which is exactly the purpose and value of the ratings.

I'd rather defend an opinion with actual evidence and data than defend it with...nothing. With the vibe or whatever you believe in

Mitch Georgiades is in s**t form. You can see that pretty clearly with your own eyes, you don't even need any metrics to tell that. The numbers merely match up with reality in this case.
So you can honestly say you agree that Nic Nat in 2021 was the best player in the competition by 'a considerable margin' ahead of the likes of Wines, Bontempelli and Oliver. 'By a considerable margin'? He should have won the Brownlow and the AFLCA Award with 68% game time?

A system which, to my understanding, would rate a player who had 3 ground ball gets and effective, but hospital, handballs to a team mate equal or better than a player who kicked 5 goals and 8 posters???

Last edited:
So you can honestly say you agree that Nic Nat in 2021 was the best player in the competition by 'a considerable margin' ahead of the likes of Wines, Bontempelli and Oliver. 'By a considerable margin'? He should have won the Brownlow and the AFLCA Award with 68% game time?

A system which, to my understanding, would rate a player who had 3 ground ball gets and effective, but hospital, handballs to a team mate equal or better than a player who kicked 5 goals and 8 posters???
Bad kicking is bad football.

Yep I would say that Naitinui is a very good player and if the Brownlow and AFL coaches awards were not midfielder medals then he would be in the conversation as the best player in the comp at that time.

I don't know how the system evaluates those metrics so can't comment. If they are hospital handballs then they probably aren't going to contribute score and would be rated poorly.

Yep I would say that Naitinui is a very good player and if the Brownlow and AFL coaches awards were not midfielder medals then he would be in the conversation as the best player in the comp at that time.

I don't know how the system evaluates those metrics so can't comment. If they are hospital handballs then they probably aren't going to contribute score and would be rated poorly.
It basically rates each act a player does on how that act has improved (or reduced) the chances of the team scoring. It's why set shot misses from short range are punished so heavily (they might be something like -4pts, because they miss has converted a 85% chance of 6 points into 1 point).

Ruckmen who get centre square hitouts to advantage rake in the points, as they are rated at something like 1.2 rating points each, based on the likelihood of each hitout to advantage leading to a score.

What it doesn't do (or didn't do) is assign ratings for football acts that prevent the other team from scoring. The generic acts (pressure, tackle, spoil intercept) are weighted for field position (more heavily weighted the closer to defensive goal), however touching the ball on the goal line should be worth 5 points (converted an otherwise certain 6 points to an actual 1 point), but just gets the same weighting as a normal spoil.

Another example would be the Darcy Moore tackle on Ollie Henry from round 1. That defensive act should be rated just as highly as a goal scored. Henry will lose points from it, but Moore doesn't gain as many as he should.

It has strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I think defensive players should get a bonus for the negative impact they have on their opponent's average output, but I'm not sure how you would calculate that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It basically rates each act a player does on how that act has improved (or reduced) the chances of the team scoring. It's why set shot misses from short range are punished so heavily (they might be something like -4pts, because they miss has converted a 85% chance of 6 points into 1 point).

Ruckmen who get centre square hitouts to advantage rake in the points, as they are rated at something like 1.2 rating points each, based on the likelihood of each hitout to advantage leading to a score.

What it doesn't do (or didn't do) is assign ratings for football acts that prevent the other team from scoring. The generic acts (pressure, tackle, spoil intercept) are weighted for field position (more heavily weighted the closer to defensive goal), however touching the ball on the goal line should be worth 5 points (converted an otherwise certain 6 points to an actual 1 point), but just gets the same weighting as a normal spoil.

Another example would be the Darcy Moore tackle on Ollie Henry from round 1. That defensive act should be rated just as highly as a goal scored. Henry will lose points from it, but Moore doesn't gain as many as he should.

It has strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I think defensive players should get a bonus for the negative impact they have on their opponent's average output, but I'm not sure how you would calculate that.
You are so correct with this. It also sways heavily to meters gained which is an important stat but is focused to heavily. eg Round 1 Daniel Rich 1,010 meters gained. 12 Kick ins of which he played on 11 times he also received a 100 meter penalty and then kicked a goal which will be at least 130m gained.
His rating points for this game will very high. With our game, sometimes there are nuances that are really important. A defender who manages to put a block on another playing from impacting a contest, a player who runs to space to cause a defender to peel off and cover them opening up space for someone else. I laugh at the Patrick Dangerfield type that has no defensive bone in his body is rated so highly, when every club knows that they can run off him at will when they have the ball. I think the basic parameters that the ratings are valued on require validation.

Option 1. Keep playing him, and potentially wreck him for life, with goal kicking Yips.

Option 2. Play SANFL for 3-4 weeks to turn his goal kicking and confidence around.

Option 3. Play him higher up the ground in the AFL team, with less emphasis on goal kicking.

I actually reckon he is, as a young player just putting himself under too much pressure.

The poor bugger probably also has an agent in one ear, saying ‘play good footy and lift your value for your next contract’

Sometimes young people just don’t perform when the expectations are too much.

I actually reckon if he signed a mid/low level contract for a few years to take him to free agency, and he was encouraged to just enjoy his footy, his goal kicking would instantly improve.

In the end if he wants to go back to WA contract or not, Port has always helped players move and not held them back. It’s slightly better for us if he is in contract, and kicking goals.

Ken played Marshall despite everyone on this board (myself included) consistently bagging him out and saying he wouldn't make it. Ken saw something and persisted, and when Todd finally starts to vindicate Ken, you say it's despite of Hinkely and not because of him?

The easy option would have been for Ken to drop Marshall and not play him in the AFL side.

I'm no Ken fan, but this just shows the sort of bias he's up against - you have to give credit where credit is due.
Yeah, so not everyone. philthy05 El_Scorcho and myself were some, but not all, that were bullish on Marshall and wanted him in the side.

He played 20 games in his first three seasons. Compare this to Hipwood who played 52 in his first three years. What about this screams persistence?

Despite playing him in the humiliating 2017 elimination final loss, Hinkley proceeded to pick Marshall a grand number of seven times in the proceeding year.

Marshall provided genuine quality link play between our midfield and forward, something that is lacking in the majority of our list. No other player has developed like Marshall under Hinkley.

Come 2022 and Dixon misses the majority of the year and Hinkley is forced to play Todd. He breaks out. Amazing. Well done, Ken.

So yes, I stand by the opinion Todd broke out despite Hinkley, not because of him. If he was at 100 games already, what kind of player would we have on our hands?

**** Hinkley. Even if he had any significant part in Marshall becoming the player he is right now it is one very tiny part of a job he is doing to a record level of bad. Go ahead and tongue his little nuts if you want.

Mitch clearly is down on confidence, a move to CHB to me is exactly what he needs. will be great for himself and for the team. Can fly for the footy in the vein of Jeremy Howe and rebound the footy. fills a need for the team and himself

Yeah, so not everyone. philthy05 El_Scorcho and myself were some, but not all, that were bullish on Marshall and wanted him in the side.

He played 20 games in his first three seasons. Compare this to Hipwood who played 52 in his first three years. What about this screams persistence?

Despite playing him in the humiliating 2017 elimination final loss, Hinkley proceeded to pick Marshall a grand number of seven times in the proceeding year.

Marshall provided genuine quality link play between our midfield and forward, something that is lacking in the majority of our list. No other player has developed like Marshall under Hinkley.

Come 2022 and Dixon misses the majority of the year and Hinkley is forced to play Todd. He breaks out. Amazing. Well done, Ken.

So yes, I stand by the opinion Todd broke out despite Hinkley, not because of him. If he was at 100 games already, what kind of player would we have on our hands?

* Hinkley. Even if he had any significant part in Marshall becoming the player he is right now it is one very tiny part of a job he is doing to a record level of bad. Go ahead and tongue his little nuts if you want.

Yeah this.

Any other club and Todd would have an extra 20 odd games or more behind him. Hinkley was slow to trust him, and the only reason he stuck with Todd at all is that Todd is a generational freak in terms of his skill set / movement.

This isn't a broader defence of Hinkley, but blaming him for lack of KPP development is a little off mark for mine.

The only KPF of note (that I can think of) who wasn't selected as a first round pick is Ben Brown (and maybe Tim Membrey). Hawkins was a F/S (under the old rort of a system), Walker was tied to the crows through the NSW scholarship, and Dixon and Cameron were zone picks by the expansion clubs.

The failure here is only by our recruiting team in hoping that picking a dozen KPFs across the third and fourth rounds we would happen upon the diamond in the rough - it happens only by rare exception.

Georgiades is rapidly testing my patience at AFL level, but at the same time he is getting to the ball inside 50 and is getting scoring shots, so I'm willing to give him time to develop both his set shot, plus him hamstring so he can pick up a ****ing ground ball on the run just like any AFL standard player should be able to.

This isn't a broader defence of Hinkley, but blaming him for lack of KPP development is a little off mark for mine.

The only KPF of note (that I can think of) who wasn't selected as a first round pick is Ben Brown (and maybe Tim Membrey). Hawkins was a F/S (under the old rort of a system), Walker was tied to the crows through the NSW scholarship, and Dixon and Cameron were zone picks by the expansion clubs.

The failure here is only by our recruiting team in hoping that picking a dozen KPFs across the third and fourth rounds we would happen upon the diamond in the rough - it happens only by rare exception.

Georgiades is rapidly testing my patience at AFL level, but at the same time he is getting to the ball inside 50 and is getting scoring shots, so I'm willing to give him time to develop both his set shot, plus him hamstring so he can pick up a ******* ground ball on the run just like any AFL standard player should be able to.
He's a fourth year tall, everyone used to bang on that talls take a while, why is that suddenly out the window? Marshall was pretty average in his first 4 seasons, we persisted and now look at him.

Georgiades is rapidly testing my patience at AFL level, but at the same time he is getting to the ball inside 50 and is getting scoring shots, so I'm willing to give him time to develop both his set shot, plus him hamstring so he can pick up a ******* ground ball on the run just like any AFL standard player should be able to.
Not too sure what you are getting at about our late selections for KPFs, but George and Todd were first round picks (18 and 16).

Not too sure what you are getting at about our late selections for KPFs, but George and Todd were first round picks (18 and 16).
They're saying that it's no coincidence that they are the only 2 drafted KPFs that have seen any extended run in the seniors, and that your Mitch Harveys, Riley Grundys and Ollie Lords aren't really much chance of making it no matter how much development you give them.

I thought it was a point well made, but I will say though that Ladhams, Howard and probably Hayes are three examples of late pick wins that Hinkley and co have still ****ed up through terrible management of young talls and a massive lack of respect for their value whether it be giving them a run of games, keeping them in a distinct role or even in their trade value when you give them the flick.

Yep, and that's why Todd looks like the first genuine KPF we've had for a long time.

People have been hanging shit on Hinkley for George (and previously Marshall) for not being up to scratch and saying it's because he's failed to develop a KPF in his time at the club. But when the other stock he's had to work with have been Mitch Harvey and Mason Shaw, it's easy to see why that might be the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back