Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

i think Lord is better at reading the play and getting himself into position to mark and score goals. I just think MG has all the attributes of a really good defender in that he is not slow, can run all day, has a leap and take a genuine contested mark ae well. AS a general rule its much easier to play as a defender rather than a forward in regard to having an impact on the game. Many half-baked forwards have turned themselves into gun defenders but not many defenders have turned themselves into good forwards simply because its easier to defend the ball than to get it yourself in attack.
No. I really hope Lord has a long and prosperous AFL career with Port but he is Damien White v Warren Tredrea in a forward comparison with Mitch.

Anyone will half a brain as far as coaching goes would be moulding Mitch into the centre half back/full back for the next 5-6 years. His forward craft is very questionable and looks lost a lot of the time with his impact being his ability to crash a pack. Lord looks like a much better proposition from the little we have seen and he can also crash packs. Mitch would be a lot better suited down back with the ball coming to him and using his running capacity to its fullest potential

Disagree strongly.

I’m not sure what you’re looking at regarding forward craft. He’s a natural when forward. Has natural instincts for positioning and bodywork.

Is a dumb footballer when pushed up the ground. He’s as dumb as a brick if you make him have to think anything through, but let him run on instincts and he does the right thing.

He’s absolutely looked his best when played deep, the deeper the better.

Try to push him up the ground and you take away his strengths and expose his weakness. Hes looked poorer when up the ground. He’s like the opposite of Marshall with ball in hand.

I suspect he would be a liability down back because of this. We don’t know how his forward craft would translate to playing back, maybe it does, maybe not as well… but we do know he’s a dumb footballer with ball in hand and I don’t trust him when the ball is on the ground either.

i think Lord is better at reading the play and getting himself into position to mark and score goals. I just think MG has all the attributes of a really good defender in that he is not slow, can run all day, has a leap and take a genuine contested mark ae well. AS a general rule its much easier to play as a defender rather than a forward in regard to having an impact on the game. Many half-baked forwards have turned themselves into gun defenders but not many defenders have turned themselves into good forwards simply because its easier to defend the ball than to get it yourself in attack.

1. I’m not sure lord is better at reading the play or at forward craft.

I think lord knows his limitations and plays to them well. Has a big frame , says this is my area and I’ll compete here.

It’s very useful without making him a star.

2. If lord is better at “getting into position and scoring goals” why does he score less goals than Mitch? Considerably less? In an era our forward line is functioning better no less.

3. What on earth is this “run all day” reference to Mitch?

Whether he can or cannot “run all day” you wouldn’t know it cause it has never been his role at afl level for us, and we just haven’t seen him do it.

I’m baffled if you’re watching the same player.

Couple of comments - Farrell was back pretty much better than ever within 12 months - hopefully Georgiades can emulate. Would love to see him in this forward line with our fast precise ball movement - he’d be getting so many chances he would soon work through the yips
Hopefully Farrell and Robbie Gray are giving him a hand with his recovery, both physical and mental. The injury, the contract situation, and not being able to get out there while the club is playing like it is has gotta be having an impact on the guy.

throw up team america GIF
Is he vomiting 2.5 goals a game as a 3rd forward?

Some credit Tredrea's comments for the turnaround this season but I personally credit the team bonding session on the Bong Boat.

The BBQ Shapes Ship.

Some credit Tredrea's comments for the turnaround this season but I personally credit the team bonding session on the Bong Boat.
a million different words, 20 different catch phrases, 4 different players lists from hinkley over 10 years, and all it took was 1 word from a true legend and everything was fixed. Untenable

Port given Georgiadis heaps of opportunity thus far. He plays well, takes his opportunities and kicks goals he knows he's a certain starter. Club been very good to him. He's played 50 odd games which is great for a young forward. His current footballing hardship will build character and resilience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a million different words, 20 different catch phrases, 4 different players lists from hinkley over 10 years, and all it took was 1 word from a true legend and everything was fixed. Untenable
LOL ... I love it.

"Untenable" will go down in Port Adelaide urban legend & folklore, along with the likes of ....

e5af7306389cd7938d50b1946756e330

“Allan Scott, you were wrong!”

If Georgiades wants to go to West Coast in their current state of affairs and Miles Bergman wants to go and play with his brother at North next year it will say a lot about their footballing ambitions and we'd be best served to move them on with minimal fuss and wish them all the best at their new shithole

If Georgiades wants to go to West Coast in their current state of affairs and Miles Bergman wants to go and play with his brother at North next year it will say a lot about their footballing ambitions and we'd be best served to move them on with minimal fuss and wish them all the best at their new shithole
Not brothers and you’re jumping the gun on assuming their characters.

I don’t know if the way West Coast are going is good or bad for us.

If I’m West Coast after I blow everything up I’m throwing the kitchen sink at Mitch as part of the rebuild and I’m taking him for nothing.

I’m also worried about our coaching group as well.

I don’t know if the way West Coast are going is good or bad for us.

If I’m West Coast after I blow everything up I’m throwing the kitchen sink at Mitch as part of the rebuild and I’m taking him for nothing.

I’m also worried about our coaching group as well.
I'm more worried about what West Coast is doing to Jarrad Schofield's coaching career.

After his time at Subiaco followed by his 3 years with us he looked primed and ready to go. Who would consider him now.

On the flip side who would want to coach West Coast at the minute? I wouldn't, unless I rated myself as a senior coach and saw no other way back into the role because the industry has written me off for whatever reason. Thinking someone like a Hird or Choco.

I'm more worried about what West Coast is doing to Jarrad Schofield's coaching career.

After his time at Subiaco followed by his 3 years with us he looked primed and ready to go. Who would consider him now.

On the flip side who would want to coach West Coast at the minute? I wouldn't, unless I rated myself as a senior coach and saw no other way back into the role because the industry has written me off for whatever reason. Thinking someone like a Hird or Choco.

Nah. West Coast know and like Jaymie Graham he’d be a good call. The resources you would have at your disposal would be unlimited and a few good draft picks along with a couple of decent recruits you can turn things around fairly quickly.

This is West Coast a few months ago.

The games played in the head mostly West Coast need a circuit breaker and sacking Simpson does that. A fresh start a different voice it will change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back