Toast Pick 23 - Murray Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

People use gay to define something as bad because being gay was seen as being bad. This is the origin of the saying, it's a slur no two ways about it.

To think otherwise is ignorant. Find a different word, it's not necessary.

Very wise words.:thumbsu:

Good luck to Newman. Looks small but then again he is a small forward. In the nicest possible way let's hope he can be like a Milne for us*

*Goals wise not you know:)

What's the exact story with how he almost severed the tendon in his arm?

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=125751
Newman's football career nearly came to an end in January when he put a hand through a glass table after a fall. The nippy small forward-midfielder suffered extensive damage to nerves and tendons and was told there was a chance he would not regain full use of the hand.

Even after a major operation to repair the damage proved successful, he was still told it was unlikely he would recover in time to play any footy in 2011.

Undaunted, Newman continued to train and surprised everyone with his recuperative powers.

Can someone post his DC result (if they're not up here already...)?

Why does everyone say he wont play for a year or so? He's a small forward, it's not as if he's going to end up huge, is his endurance sub standard or something? Surely we could just sit him in a pocket and tell him not to leave the 50? Probably a bit over simplified but you get the idea.

Why does everyone say he wont play for a year or so? He's a small forward, it's not as if he's going to end up huge, is his endurance sub standard or something? Surely we could just sit him in a pocket and tell him not to leave the 50? Probably a bit over simplified but you get the idea.
67kg is very light

Neither Newman or McInness did testing at draft camp due to injury. Might have made them fall abit further than they would have.

For what its worth, Newman weighed 70.4kgs at DC, abit better than the 67kgs that has been floated.

Neither Newman or McInness did testing at draft camp due to injury. Might have made them fall abit further than they would have.

For what its worth, Newman weighed 70.4kgs at DC, abit better than the 67kgs that has been floated.
Going in the right direction...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our version or Rioli, so stoked we finally have a pure small forward with midfield potential. The missing link we've been waiting for.

Our version or Rioli, so stoked we finally have a pure small forward with midfield potential. The missing link we've been waiting for.

personally think hes a lot more midfielder than forward in the future but to get a game for us over his first couple of seasons he will have to play forward as he doesnt have the frame for the midfield yet.

personally think hes a lot more midfielder than forward in the future but to get a game for us over his first couple of seasons he will have to play forward as he doesnt have the frame for the midfield yet.

We all know Woosha anyway. If your midfield, your going to play HFF/FP for at least 3 years :D

Shuey plays almost exclusively HFF. Rarely hit centre square this year. Bad example

I can't remember Kerr and Gaff is an outside runner so its a lot easier to be underdeveloped on the outside.

And I mean like Masten, Ebert, Stevens, Swift, and if you include HBF S Selwood started there and so has Sheppard.

Shuey plays almost exclusively HFF. Rarely hit centre square this year. Bad example

I can't remember Kerr and Gaff is an outside runner so its a lot easier to be underdeveloped on the outside.

And I mean like Masten, Ebert, Stevens, Swift, and if you include HBF S Selwood started there and so has Sheppard.

Well if you're going to have 8-10 midfield rotations, your midfielders are going to have to contribute in other areas of the ground, most likely HFF/FP.

U18s highlights the club has posted. Don't think there is any new footage from the highlights on AFL.com.au though. Could be wrong

[YOUTUBE]IDTjAwYKn78[/YOUTUBE]

Cheers Scooter. He looks like a very tough player. We should make a rule, no drafting soft *****. Rather a team of Selwoods than a team that consists of players like Stephen Hill.

Sorry Steel you're off the mark there. Shuey was in the main centre square rotation (with Priddis, Kerr and Scooter - one of the 4 usually on the bench or on the HFF) for almost the entire season.

In addition Ebert got a full season in the centre square in 2010 (only dropped back to HFF in 2011), what limited opportunities Stevens got were almost exclusively in the centre square and the same goes with Swift (who generally only played if Kerr was injured and so took his role in the 'rotation').

U18s highlights the club has posted. Don't think there is any new footage from the highlights on AFL.com.au though. Could be wrong

[youtube]IDTjAwYKn78[/youtube]

I think the thing that impressed me most about his highlights there is that he showed a lot of poise and was not only able to make the right decisions, but also able to make changes depending on circumstances and still find the target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pick 23 - Murray Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back