Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it only Sth Australians that we're SUPPOSEDLY going to pick??????

Because as a club supporters we believe that all victorian metro kids (mainly) are bad people and will backstab Adelaide at a moments notice.

Pretty much i can see us getting a South Australian with our first pick, because the top 30 is littered with them.

I don't believe afc have recruited anyone who was highly rated by the bigfooty afc board, I expect afc to select someone who has not been mentioned.

This has really only happened once, with Dangerfield.

Davis/McKernan were both touted as first round picks on here in 08, in 09 Talia was seen as "great but won't last to our pick", in 10 Smith was the obvious selection we all expected. The last two years we haven't had picks worth a damn. From memory Kerridge was considered around the mark for a second-round pick in 11, our first selection. Some were calling for Grigg to be taken at 27.

New recruiter, as well (couldn't get much of a read on him last year). No telling what to expect this year.

The other difficulty in trying to predict a pick is there is no read anywhere on how these kids interview which is seen as an integral part of the process. It can be the very reason a kid slides or jumps.

Nope ....will not happen

In between size
Not tall enough for a KPP
Not fast enough for a flanker
And carrying already a bit of a pudge stomach .......he'll be picked up, but not by us

LOL, Bit of a difference in "stature" to your description....

And never under estimate the value of a left footer to any list!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/darcy-hourigan

Position:
Tall forward
Height:
192cm
Weight:
92kg
Born:
18/9/95
Home club:
South Adelaide
2013 STATS​
CompPK*H*M*G
U18s 5 8.2 4.2 5.6 16
SANFL Res. 10 8.7 3.3 3.9 25

The inside word

After a sensational NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with South Australia which earned him All-Australian honours, Hourigan could well be the next key forward picked after the man widely touted as the No.1 pick, Tom Boyd. Hourigan is a physical beast, a strong-bodied forward who has experience playing senior SANFL football with South Adelaide which will set him up for an immediate start next season. Hourigan kicked 16 goals for SA in the U18s including a bag of five against Queensland. Against Vic Metro, he took nine marks, had five inside 50s and kicked three goals in a day which highlighted his credentials.

South Australian star's no fuss approach

Callum Twomey June 29, 2013 10:22 AM

292263-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Darcy Hourigan in action against Vic Metro on Friday

DARCY Hourigan plays footy with a minimum of fuss. He grabs marks, goes back and kicks goals, barges through packs and leads until he has the ball in his hands.

On Friday, the South Australian forward chipped in with three goals in his side's three-point win over Vic Metro, for a total of 13 goals in South Australia's campaign.

LOL, Bit of a difference in "stature" to your description....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/darcy-hourigan

Position:
Tall forward
Height:
192cm
Weight:
92kg
Born:
18/9/95
Home club:
South Adelaide
2013 STATS​
CompPK*H*M*G
U18s 5 8.2 4.2 5.6 16
SANFL Res. 10 8.7 3.3 3.9 25

The inside word

After a sensational NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with South Australia which earned him All-Australian honours, Hourigan could well be the next key forward picked after the man widely touted as the No.1 pick, Tom Boyd. Hourigan is a physical beast, a strong-bodied forward who has experience playing senior SANFL football with South Adelaide which will set him up for an immediate start next season. Hourigan kicked 16 goals for SA in the U18s including a bag of five against Queensland. Against Vic Metro, he took nine marks, had five inside 50s and kicked three goals in a day which highlighted his credentials.

Thanks Bicks, first time I've seen footage of him - looks very impressive. Have to be a chance for the 46 pick. Looks like a Roughy clone, strong, beautiful kick- and almost same size 192 v 193.

Nope ....will not happen

In between size
Not tall enough for a KPP
Not fast enough for a flanker
And carrying already a bit of a pudge stomach .......he'll be picked up, but not by us

Watch the footage. He's 192 and Roughy is 193 - you think 1cm is the difference between a KPF and not?

Thanks Bicks, first time I've seen footage of him - looks very impressive. Have to be a chance for the 46 pick. Looks like a Roughy clone, strong, beautiful kick- and almost same size 192 v 193.
looks pretty good.. Reminds me more of Jonathan brown though.. But brownie is also slightly taller.

Preferably i'd rather the A+ potential one in 4 years then a B one in 3 years. Jenkins and Pods can hold the ship for the next two anyway.

Outside mids is a bigger need by far to balance out our midfield, someone with great disposal and a bit of speed would be golden in a side like ours.

What's to say we're getting a better outside mid at 23 than we are a key tall. The way I'm reading this draft is that by the time you get to picks in the 20s the outside mids have just as many question marks as the key talls.

The more I read about this draft, the more I get the feel that there is plenty of tall talent, it's just that besides Tom Boyd there's none that have shown themselves to be the can't miss elite prospects to push themselves into top 15 candidacy. As a result this means the top 15-20 are pretty much all mids/flankers. Clubs over the past few years have become more and more safety obsessed with their first round picks to the point that we saw Brodie Grundy, the best ruck prospect since Naitanui slip to 18-20.

I think there's enough talented key talls around, they'll just come with greater risk than what clubs in the first round will be willing to part with.

I agree that we need outside run more than a key tall, however IMO the outside run at 23 will be just as speculative as the key talls. All the best ones will be long gone. There will be plenty of sure bet inside mids, but that's not what we need.

I'm not saying don't go outside mid, I think to rule out going for a tall because there aren't any going to go at the pointy end of the draft is wrong. News flash, we don't have a pick at the pointy end of the draft, we'll either be selecting an elite level talent with question marks, be they short, tall or in between, or we'll be picking a sure bet with limited upside.

As evidence of reasons we shouldn't be ignoring key talls, the 2009 was very similarly rated to this draft, shallow with very little tall talent. We picked Talia with 13 and Gunston with 29, who would both easily go top 10 if that draft were held again today. The tall talents there, you've just got to have the eye to find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back