Cancelled
Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2009 Player Sponsor
Sep 17, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm,Victory,Blue Jays
This is an intresting pick when you think we past up on 2 other Underage Players in that draft in Zahrakis and Gaetrner.

What I heard this was almost a Throw away pick because we want Easton Wood who went to the Doggies at Pick 43, So Hine did not really like anyone left in the Draft but he had to use this pick and we probably needed a Tall Defender and Hine like's his Underage Vics he Choose a 17 Year Old 196cm Thoolen. Looking at his Draft Highlight Video(Down Below the Writing) he look like a Atheletic Tall with a Good Shot on Goal.

Those even looking at the draft a Year on and with Hindsight on our side we could of Picked at 47 accept for Thoolen would be:

• Bradd Daziell
  • David Gourdis
  • Stefan Martin
  • Tom Bellchambers
  • Aaron Joseph
  • Austin Wonaemerrri(Spelling?)
  • Jarad Petrenko
  • Jake Spencer
  • Cameron Stokes
  • Beau Wilks
Be Intresting to see if he can improve from last year and going by Pre-Season Reports he has got bigger and got more Fitter.

Your Thoughts?

Thoolen Draft Video Highlights:

[YOUTUBE]jSluv34QHXY&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

Number of things to take into account here.
1. Thoolen was very bottom age too wasn't he?
2. We had traded our first pick in that draft for a tap type ruckmen in Wood, so Bellchambers and Spencer would have been doubling up a tad. 3. Spencer was a rookie in a weak draft no one rated him, that happens with big guys often, late bloomers very difficult to pick in a draft.
4. We have had far to many poor kicks, whilst I don't mind Zak as a player / prospect he is very much a tweener especially in the at the time of that draft he was not the sort of player I would have been confident taken. Not sure if he had the skills to play outside at AFL level or the game to play inside at AFL level, but still had enough about him.
5. Zak has had one good game, he is more then likely going to be a better player then Thoolen over their careers as I rate Zak little and Thoolen not much at all but I think we have better up and coming midfield options in Jmac, Steele and Beams and therefore are not going to miss him.

• Banned
Number of things to take into account here.
1. Thoolen was very bottom age too wasn't he?

I think he was Very Bottom Age and That's why I say he could still have a Big Year of Improvment in him

2. We had traded our first pick in that draft for a tap type ruckmen in Wood, so Bellchambers and Spencer would have been doubling up a tad.

I was thinking Espically with Bellchamebrs we need a Big Body Ruckman and he could of been that alongside the Skinner Wood
3. Spencer was a rookie in a weak draft no one rated him, that happens
with big guys often, late bloomers very difficult to pick in a draft.

True and I think he was playing Amuters before that? not sure

5. Zak has had one good game, he is more then likely going to be a better player then Thoolen over their careers as I rate Zak little and Thoolen not much at all but I think we have better up and coming midfield options in Jmac, Steele and Beams and therefore are not going to miss him.

He would be there with the 3 you Mentioned, Though people during 07 did rate Zak

As well left mentioned, I think Stefan Martin is the other one, aside from Zaharakis, who we may rue overlooking at some point down the track. I recall (as we were in desperate need of mids) being somewhat miffed as to why we'd take Thoolen over Zaharakis, and he's perhaps now starting to hammer home the point. However we all know mids don't take as long to develop as talls.

I guess we ought to hope that as bottom aged midfield draft smokies go, Luke Rounds can emulate Zaharakis' development curve from last year. If he does that, albeit that he won't be in the TAC Cup (as Zaharakis was) to stand out as an 18-year-old, he should go on to be a very good player for us.

Dave, why do you always start hypotheticals threads like this.

It serves no purpose now as the draft has been done and you can't change what's happend. It also achieves nothing in hindsight as it is too early to analyse if the pies made the wrong decision with regards to the draft - you can only do that when the players in question AFL careers are over.

It is possible that you can post relevant topics so there is less SPAM around these boards.

Cheers

• Banned
Dave, why do you always start hypotheticals threads like this.

It serves no purpose now as the draft has been done and you can't change what's happend. It also achieves nothing in hindsight as it is too early to analyse if the pies made the wrong decision with regards to the draft - you can only do that when the players in question AFL careers are over.

It is possible that you can post relevant topics so there is less SPAM around these boards.

Cheers

It's for good converstation and if you don't like it and then leave

It's for good converstation and if you don't like it and then leave
This is a second thoolen thread in not a long time though Dave.

I dont think many of us rate him, but he is a rookie who is barely 18 and he is tall. Give him time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 47 07 Draft - Tobias Thoolen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back