Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Far be it for me to take this discussion into fair and balanced territory but I think we need to be realistic - this guy is on a million a year for a decade and will captain the club for years to come. So we need to find a way to turn him into the best player and leader he can be.

For starters, I think him and Horne-Francis need to swap roles. If I'm the opposition I'm loving Horne-Francis being sat in the forward line. Win the centre clearance and the opposition's most damaging player is out of the game. We would be better served with Rozee being the pinch hitter who comes in and can use his run to create chaos late in quarters. And I think Rozee could be a 40 goal a year player in a proper forward line (not our current forward line).

As for his toughness and leadership, I hope the next coach whether it is Carr or someone else can mentor him to be a proper leader. The current coach has the philosophy that football doesn't really matter and at some point that has to rub off on you if he's the only coach you've ever known at AFL level. He needs a much harder edge or he's next to useless as an on field leader.

Butters will leave 100% so get ready for it possibly end of this year with the shit show atm
he has the mongrel in him that we need as a captain and is a natural leader the only reason he isn't captain is because he won't commit long term as he plans to finish his career in Victoria
He can go it’s okay, get us two first rounders.

Any coach or player can go, I DGAF

Far be it for me to take this discussion into fair and balanced territory but I think we need to be realistic - this guy is on a million a year for a decade and will captain the club for years to come. So we need to find a way to turn him into the best player and leader he can be.

For starters, I think him and Horne-Francis need to swap roles. If I'm the opposition I'm loving Horne-Francis being sat in the forward line. Win the centre clearance and the opposition's most damaging player is out of the game. We would be better served with Rozee being the pinch hitter who comes in and can use his run to create chaos late in quarters. And I think Rozee could be a 40 goal a year player in a proper forward line (not our current forward line).

As for his toughness and leadership, I hope the next coach whether it is Carr or someone else can mentor him to be a proper leader. The current coach has the philosophy that football doesn't really matter and at some point that has to rub off on you if he's the only coach you've ever known at AFL level. He needs a much harder edge or he's next to useless as an on field leader.

My read is that JHF may not have the fitness base yet to play predominantly in the centre and as he's a forward threat they are putting him up there

He can go it’s okay, get us two first rounders.

Any coach or player can go, I DGAF

I’d want 2 very good first’s for Zac as a minimum.
The way Davies goes it will be our future first & Zac for a second rounder - stuff the club up on the way out..

Rozee was definitely pretty good as a small forward in 2019. That 5 goals he kicked against Brisbane in round 3 that year, almost single handedly got us the win that night. I know it's a long time ago but i find it difficult to comprehend that at he has lost those traits. I haven't seen Horny quite reach those levels up forward yet, but i think that JHF is the much better midfielder. Particularly his clearance work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee was definitely pretty good as a small forward in 2019. That 5 goals he kicked against Brisbane in round 3 that year, almost single handedly got us the win that night. I know it's a long time ago but i find it difficult to comprehend that at he has lost those traits. I haven't seen Horny quite reach those levels up forward yet, but i think that JHF is the much better midfielder. Particularly his clearance work.
If your eyes work than it shouldn't be difficult to comprehend.

JHF has looked much better at leading and hitting up at the footy since he come over than Rozee has. He can play as a marking target. Rozee hasn't been a marking target since 2019.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

JHF has looked much better at leading and hitting up at the footy since he come over than Rozee has. He can play as a marking target. Rozee hasn't been a marking target since 2019.

Who is better at kicking it to the leading forwards though?

Connors form since being injured (the first time) this year has not been anything like his form prior to that. But thats where he'll soon be. I think sometimes we over react when one of our stars hits a bad patch but his talent is still there. As for Butters, I'm confident he'll stay because he's so close with his team mates. He's also close to Kenny and so as long as Ken is moved on with some dignity when the time comes, he'll be held by his attachment to his mates.

We should already have enough marking targets, we need smalls that can crumb and kick goals.

It’s no surprise we’ve gone downhill since the only genuine small forward capable of doing that got injured

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We should already have enough marking targets, we need smalls that can crumb and kick goals.

It’s no surprise we’ve gone downhill since the only genuine small forward capable of doing that got injured

Again I'm not sure Rozee is that either

Again I'm not sure Rozee is that either

Kicked 29 goals in his first year. And over 20 twice since playing majority midfield. Are you saying he has completely lost the ability to kick goals at the age of 24?

Kicked 29 goals in his first year. And over 20 twice since playing majority midfield. Are you saying he has completely lost the ability to kick goals at the age of 24?

Didn't do it as a small forward, most of those in 2019 were as an alternative marking target - the Brett Ebert role, if you will.

A lot of his midfield goals come streaming from upfield and kicking them from range, which is not what a small forward should really be doing.

Willie is the quintessential small forward because he is constantly around to crumb marking contests, or ready to make the fast break forward on turnover.

So yeah, Rozee clearly has good goal sense, but I both haven't seen much to suggest he could play an actual small forward role, and he would also be an absolute wasted talent being asked to do so.

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back