Player Watch Pick #55 (2021) - Hugh Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

22 disposals, 10 tackles and 10 clearances this week.
View attachment 1733623
Choco refused to play Nathan Krakouer at the SCG in 2007 after he had played the first 7 games, because he and the coaches were scarred he would get beaten up at the smaller SCG and against the Swans hard contested footy style. They played him next game, which was at Footy Park.

Krak was about 69 kgs in 2007. Hugh looks even lighter.

Loved him on draft night. One of my favourites. His improvement this year after an injury plagued debut season has been great to watch. Fingers crossed for this week if he's in. Go get 'em Hugh.

Peter Burgoyne looked like a 12 yo in 1997 and kicked the winning goal (in one of our first wins).

Loved him on draft night. One of my favourites. His improvement this year after an injury plagued debut season has been great to watch. Fingers crossed for this week if he's in. Go get 'em Hugh.
I was super happy that we got him in that draft. I liked the majority of our picks in 2021. Hugh had some very good highlights that went unnoticed and had a natural midfielders game. I can't wait to see him get into the seniors and see what he can do.

What does Playthekids76 reckon?
I watched his game Saturday, very impressive. Got into dangerous positions and is alot stronger than I thought. He handled Coombe and Moore well who are bigger bodies as you'd know. He has good speed out of stoppage and has similar traits to Zac. Doesnt have a right foot though and got caught out a few times as you would have saw during the game. Anything else I can help you with, just let me know?

I watched his game Saturday, very impressive. Got into dangerous positions and is alot stronger than I thought. He handled Coombe and Moore well who are bigger bodies as you'd know. He has good speed out of stoppage and has similar traits to Zac. Doesnt have a right foot though and got caught out a few times as you would have saw during the game. Anything else I can help you with, just let me know?

Should we play the kid?

He has a right foot - I've seen it plenty of times over the years. Saw him kick a massive goal from outside 50 on his right one week at Prospect in his draft year. He got caught a few times at the weekend because there was no one around him to give the ball to. He shouldn't have that prob when he's up with the big boys. Go Hugh Choo! Choo!

About the 38 second mark of this video he uses the right. Can't say that I've actually looked for it at sanfl level but you wouldn't think the coaching staff would let him get away with being just one sided?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 disposals, 6 clearances and 7 tackles this week.
RD-16-V-Glenelg-HOME-44.jpg

He may be a centre mid but plenty of Centre mids have cut their teeth on a wing first. When you watch the SANFL, Jackson’s clean hands and the way he moves are a step above. We have to find a way to use him regularly next year.

In retrospect, we should have given him games this year but I agree- too late now.

He should have already had his debut. Been the most consistent SANFL player for the year. Unfortunately his 3 week break following concussion against WWT stuffed it. Once he gets a run (hopefully in next couple of weeks) he'll be a lock in. Can see him flourishing in a more open game style in AFL with his speed/run and carry & i50 entries.

Definitely don’t want to wait ages to get games into him, but let’s be realistic, if he was a kpp he would be stuck in the sanfl for ages yet.

We’re so well stocked for mids in the afl side and his weight would be the hold ups.

Hope to see him have a big preseasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #55 (2021) - Hugh Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back