Player Watch Pick #55 (2021) - Hugh Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still a much higher chance of playing fewer than 10 AFL games than he is playing more. SANFL form isn't very relevant in how a player goes at AFL level and there have been plenty who are elite SANFL players who haven't been able to cut it at AFL. Moore, Young, Ah Chee, Colquhoun, Garner, Mead etc. All players who have had supporters in the past who have ended up as failures.

His ball use at SANFL concerns me and is a poor shot at goal. That will be found out at AFL level. I also think it is a difficult thing to improve.

I'm really bullish on Jackson. He has some unique AFL qualities that put him in good stead. He is genuinely quick with a burst of breakaway speed from stoppages, and he has a genuine ability to get the ball out of stoppages, a skillset we get exposed on too often. His junior footy showed he can get a ton of ball and he showed some talent around goals this year.

Needs some more size and strength (don't they all?) but he had a noticeable jump in physical development from year 1 to year 2. His first year on the list was basically a write off because of the hip surgery.

He should have been given some game time in the AFL this year, but for ultra-cautious selection when it comes to youth and protecting "the streak" (TM).

I've read a fair bit about Jackson so was very keen to watch him. Went to our last 2 games against Centrals. Was very disappointed with his performance. Haven't looked at his stats in either game but looked like a reasonable Sanfl level player but lacks weapons to transition to a good Afl player. Early days so I hope those games don't reflect his true ability. I didn't see much to get excited about from many of our Afl listed players & have many doubts about our player development.

Our young players looked cooked by the end of the year. A few teenagers and Jackson who was really having his first season and was getting tagged late in the season were running out of legs.

Seeing as nothing is Hinkley's fault, Port will want to look into more investment and better physical development from the lame performance team.

Not seen him play but it’s interesting to read and compare sets of very polarised responses here.

“Elite qualities” “burst from stoppage”

“No weapons” “will be found out at AFL level” “poor disposal” “poor shot”

Well at pick 55 he’s not meant to be a scrawny shorter version of young Patrick “Clangerfield” is he?

Guess the next question to be answered is does he keep that burst ability when he necessarily bulks up or does he lose it and start plodding, but instead I fully expect Hinkley will try playing him on the wing where confidence in his disposal can be fully tested.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

You need second string midfielders to step up when the others are off the field so thats what i'm hoping Jackson becomes for us. Needs some strength though.

Our young players looked cooked by the end of the year. A few teenagers and Jackson who was really having his first season and was getting tagged late in the season were running out of legs.

Seeing as nothing is Hinkley's fault, Port will want to look into more investment and better physical development from the lame performance team.
They certainly did. Was shocked at how cooked they looked.

I reckon he'll be our #1 ruck as well as #1 midfielder next year. Will just tap it to himself get his own clearance and kick 20-30 goals a game.
He's got the potential to be the greatest footballer of all time, if he isn't that already.

It's not a good time to be trying to establish yourself as an up and coming midfielder at Port. I think he will battle for opportunity no matter how well he plays.

Eh maybe.

But boak is done. Wines is 29 and possibly cooked.

There’s 2 spots right there up for grabs.

What I think is it would be a bad time to be a vanilla mid who can’t play elsewhere.

Those types would struggle.

Guys like Jackson and sinn have the advantage we can start them on a wing or flank and neither is vanilla.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's still a much higher chance of playing fewer than 10 AFL games than he is playing more. SANFL form isn't very relevant in how a player goes at AFL level and there have been plenty who are elite SANFL players who haven't been able to cut it at AFL. Moore, Young, Ah Chee, Colquhoun, Garner, Mead etc. All players who have had supporters in the past who have ended up as failures.

His ball use at SANFL concerns me and is a poor shot at goal. That will be found out at AFL level. I also think it is a difficult thing to improve.
Agree with all but one of those players you mentioned none of them had a real weapon to standout.
However Joel Garner was a tough defender who never ever got a chance from Hinkley in fact he dropped Garner after one game to play a soon to be retiring and unfit Matthew Broadbent (clearly nothing has changed since then)

I agree that our performance team has been poor at conditioning our players. Our games against Brisbane and GWS really showed our lack of muscle and strength, particularly in our smalls. We were out gunned by their power at the contest. Jackson and Burgoyne both need to increase their muscle power to make the most of their talent.

Agree with all but one of those players you mentioned none of them had a real weapon to standout.
However Joel Garner was a tough defender who never ever got a chance from Hinkley in fact he dropped Garner after one game to play a soon to be retiring and unfit Matthew Broadbent (clearly nothing has changed since then)
Amen!

Not seen him play but it’s interesting to read and compare sets of very polarised responses here.

“Elite qualities” “burst from stoppage”

“No weapons” “will be found out at AFL level” “poor disposal” “poor shot”

Well at pick 55 he’s not meant to be a scrawny shorter version of young Patrick “Clangerfield” is he?

Guess the next question to be answered is does he keep that burst ability when he necessarily bulks up or does he lose it and start plodding, but instead I fully expect Hinkley will try playing him on the wing where confidence in his disposal can be fully tested.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app
He's got a bit of Drew about him. Probably has more weapons than Drew, but obviously is far younger, weaker and less experienced.

He feels like he has a lot of length in the contest. Can put pressure on, he can stay in the contest, he has good presence over the ball and is able to track it in the contest. He is able to hold his feet and execute disposal in the contest when he gets it. He is brave, is tough, he is quick enough. He is ok overhead, and does alright in link up play.

His issues are his size, he'll need to put on Kg's. He also absolutely has the Clangerfield kick. His kick is less penetrating in general, but it is generally ok. However he is regularly in time and space, and doesn't just miss targets but shanks the ball big time. His other issue is probably due to age, experience and fitness, in that he fades in and out of games big time. He'll have a 15-20 touch half, then get it 5 more times for the game. He'll have 4-5 clearances in a row and then go missing. He needs to stay involved and he needs to generally be involved more. Need to see him averaging high 20's weekly now if he wants to start pushing for AFL selection.

Lets see how he goes over preseason and early next year. He certainly has potential. I'm very much in the camp though that I don't quite see him breaking into the side in the long term. Might get a few games, but not sure where he fits long term.

I liked Joel Garner.

Despite the very obvious talents, I am worried that he is physically very similar to the lighter framed Butters and Rozee

When we get the ball we can be dangerous, but you have to win the ball before the clearance comes

You need the physical strength and size to get the pill in the first place

Who's going to be the bull if Wines is cooked

Despite the very obvious talents, I am worried that he is physically very similar to the lighter framed Butters and Rozee

When we get the ball we can be dangerous, but you have to win the ball before the clearance comes

You need the physical strength and size to get the pill in the first place

Who's going to be the bull if Wines is cooked
Drew’s game will evolve, Mead may get the minutes he needs, Jackson’s clearance work is actually first class and his ability to manoeuvre through trafic is Francou/James like.

You don’t need to be Wines/Cripps size to be a clearance king. It’s about being clean and taking the ball on the move.

Fun fact. When Joel Garner played for SA back in the day, he frequented the Grenfell Tavern (my then watering hole). He was like a god. We were so in awe. Practically hit the quite low ceiling too.

There's all sorts of Big-Bird innuendo's that could be dropped here.

Played really well in the 3rd quarter, other than the 4 x 25m penalties, and was key part of setting up 3 of our 4 goals in the 3rd quarter with the wind, and did a few good things in the last quarter. I missed the first quarter and a bit of the 2nd and only really noticed him a couple of times in the 2nd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #55 (2021) - Hugh Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back