pick No 6: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee some of the tunes have changed after a view of the highlights video, amazing what happens when people have a bit of info to base a decision on rather than just flying off the handle.

Was just thinking that, when I had posted that it was rumored we would take him, most of the people were up in arms about how much better x,y,z are and that he's not as good due to not having the same hype as them etc... Also everyone had Polec as our sure fire no.6 when Emma Quayle tweeted today that he was never in our sights at all...

IMO we landed a very solid player with this kid, he's already a decent size for his age and has a good head. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right head to go with it then it will just be wasted. Future VC to Cotch :thumbsu:

Was just thinking that, when I had posted that it was rumored we would take him, most of the people were up in arms about how much better x,y,z are and that he's not as good due to not having the same hype as them etc... Also everyone had Polec as our sure fire no.6 when Emma Quayle tweeted today that he was never in our sights at all...

IMO we landed a very solid player with this kid, he's already a decent size for his age and has a good head. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the right head to go with it then it will just be wasted. Future VC to Cotch :thumbsu:
Would be good if somebody (RFC_O) could clarify exactly what that decent size actually is !

So far we have 179cm 76kg , 182cm 76kgs, 185cm 79kgs which is it also the picture with hardwick certainly makes him look sub 180cm

Looking at that interview video, he looks like quite a relaxed, composed young man. Nothing to extreme or outlandish that may land him in trouble. But hey, hard to judge someone in 1:17. :p

Would be good if somebody (RFC_O) could clarify exactly what that decent size actually is !

So far we have 179cm 76kg , 182cm 76kgs, 185cm 79kgs which is it also the picture with hardwick certainly makes him look sub 180cm
Club lists him as 185cm 79kg on the updated player list.

Yeah i did notice that & i think that they would of just gone off the existing profile statts and selected the most apealing to the supporters.

Would love to see him side by side with another player just to judge.
Get down to training next week and check his body size out with the other guys, if that stuff turns you on. :thumbsu:

I recall this as well...when the HS stated that BL would be taking Polec 17 NOV I said that ...I hoped that Bris Vegas nabs Polec...and that..
I had a feeling it will be this:

WC Gaff (or Polec)
BL Polec (or Gaff)
RFC Lynch (like him more and more)...I'd be also comfortable with Conca - looks a really smart footballer, knows who to use it, fills a void as Lynch does.

Call me a smart ass but ...I could see then (via highlights clips) why Conca was in the tigers sights...just wasn't sold on Polec, Heppell Atley Caddy et all...

I still believe Polec reminds me of Fiora.

By the way, I may be wrong about Lynch (time will tell)

As for Bachelor Kisses, D-Mac, Big Dekka and Hell's Big Boy...well I was totally clueless...but I'm really looking forward to them making a big impact in 2011 and beyond.

FJ's the man - talk about left bloody field!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I'm not a Conca lover - and he wasn't in my top 30. I'm willing to concede his kicking is better than I thought (club apparently did an extensive profile) but I would still think it's no where near being elite. He's zippy and and in and under and gets to the right spots - but I don't know if he's got enough X-Factor about him, especially to take him at pick 6.

Obviously the club has more inside knowledge than I do - but I don't see what's exceptional about him, except for the clubs expectations and rating of him.

This is by no means an attack on Reece or the club - I just think there were better prospects still on the board.

Now I'm not a Conca lover - and he wasn't in my top 30. I'm willing to concede his kicking is better than I thought (club apparently did an extensive profile) but I would still think it's no where near being elite. He's zippy and and in and under and gets to the right spots - but I don't know if he's got enough X-Factor about him, especially to take him at pick 6.

Obviously the club has more inside knowledge than I do - but I don't see what's exceptional about him, except for the clubs expectations and rating of him.

This is by no means an attack on Reece or the club - I just think there were better prospects still on the board.

i can see where your coming from, other players have the potential to be stars of the comp, while conca will never be a top 10 player. but i dont understand this big craze to go after these freakishly talented ahtletes who have so much to learn before they become afl footballers.

yes they can play footy and understand the game, but so many lack the decision making and foot skills and positioning. these things can be developed but for the very best it comes naturally.

im one to always choose a footballer over an athlete. i would have been happy with polec because i think he can become a good player, but he is not a sure bet to be a good player, and he will most likely be one of those all or nothing players.

conca for me is one of the most well rounded players in the draft, probably only second to swallow. in regards to the players picked after him, i dont really see any as being better footballers, more potential yes, but not sre they really warranted the pick. i rate caddy, but he is one dimensional, in his role he will be good, but outside that he wont be effective. heppell will be a great half back flanker, and has the ability to play midfield, but he will never be a true midfielder, and in my opinion id prefer a natural midfielder to a half back flanker.

lynch to me has that athletic ability and moves like a midfielder, but he lacks that it factor that makes a key foward (which is the one position where i can under stand taking an athlete over a footballer, im looking at you sam day/kurt tippett/st nick).

beyond those two, there is no way that any of the other players stood out above conca. he doesnt have that one trait that makes you say wow, he isnt 10/10 in anything, but id rate him 9/10 right across the board, which for me is much more impressive. not many clubs have consistent players, who never stop running and always make good decisions.

you know more then me, and saw alot more then me, but i just think that a consistent well rounded player who has performed, takes preference over a freakishly talented player who lacks the composure and will either be a major hit or a major bust.

Come on, shake your body baby, do the CONCA,
I know you can't control yourself any longer
Feel the rhythm of the music getting stronger
Don't you fight it till you've tried it
DO THE CONCA BEAT! ;)

[youtube]MAcmhXqlmpA[/youtube]

GO TIGES!!!

People pooh poohed Freo's Stephen Hill pick and that appears to be turning out alright yes?

You've picked up one of the smartest players in this years draft. I watched him a few times this year and was instantly impressed. It's not even just that he always seems to be in the right spot, he's always working hard to get to the right spots.

He's not always a clean user, but he's a smart user, and as importantly as that, he's got poise in close too.

He's going to give you some real class as a link player, and who can also get clearances in tight if needed.

Most seem to think you've paid overs, I reckon you've pulled out a plum.

I've only watched the Video of him once. I'm happy with the pick but he looks a bit too much one sided,(I could have got the wrong impression) but he moves well and gets to his preferred side easily and this is fine when playing lower competitions but he will get caught out if tries to play off his preferred side in the AFL.

What I liked most about him is he moves well through traffic, very light footed and can turn and weave extremely fast to clear the ball, I see this as his elite strength and dont really think he needs to bulk up any more because it might reduce his nimbleness..... He also has a great understanding of working the ball through traffic , linking up etc... He looks like he will complement Cotchin and Martin extremely well by not only feeding the ball out but be a skillful link player.

His kicking style looks great.

He looks like he thinks a bit faster than the people around him.

People pooh poohed Freo's Stephen Hill pick and that appears to be turning out alright yes?

You've picked up one of the smartest players in this years draft. I watched him a few times this year and was instantly impressed. It's not even just that he always seems to be in the right spot, he's always working hard to get to the right spots.

He's not always a clean user, but he's a smart user, and as importantly as that, he's got poise in close too.

He's going to give you some real class as a link player, and who can also get clearances in tight if needed.

Most seem to think you've paid overs, I reckon you've pulled out a plum.
Thanks for the info. It's always nice to get a perspective from people who have seen it all unfold in person.

I've only watched the Video of him once. I'm happy with the pick but he looks a bit too much one sided,(I could have got the wrong impression) but he moves well and gets to his preferred side easily and this is fine when playing lower competitions but he will get caught out if tries to play off his preferred side in the AFL.

What I liked most about him is he moves well through traffic, very light footed and can turn and weave extremely fast to clear the ball, I see this as his elite strength and dont really think he needs to bulk up any more because it might reduce his nimbleness..... He also has a great understanding of working the ball through traffic , linking up etc... He looks like he will complement Cotchin and Martin extremely well by not only feeding the ball out but be a skillful link player.

His kicking style looks great.

He looks like he thinks a bit faster than the people around him.

Gee Nut, I thought one of the strengths on his highlights reel was his ability on either foot! watch again and see how natural both sides look.

Remove this Banner Ad

pick No 6: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Back