pick No 6: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon this guy could be a complete gun rover actually taking votes off our potential fab 4 of Cotch, Martin Lids and JR.

I think he is underated by some. Based on the highlights, which don't tell you the full story, I rate him ahead of Bennell , Polec and the other mids.

Without placing too much pressure on him, I think he is very underated by some comments based on the vision I have seen

I see this guy as a rover in the KB mould. Not the biggest, but if he can get the courage and bigger bodied DM, Grigg lending support with Cotch look out. Like his balance and composure below the knees and his kicks to those on the lead direct enough for me. Hands are good enough high getting the ball as is his alertness and vision. I seen him take one left kick in the highlights, kicks have nice technique. Lot to work with here. First thing is to get him learning the roving role and develop his left foot further and general fit him in the team play. I don't see this guy as a winger although he could play wing proficiently. Apart from Grigg and others rotating looking at Lids and O'reilly as the wingers at the moment regarding projections

I've only watched the Video of him once. I'm happy with the pick but he looks a bit too much one sided,

Interesting observation Nut because my impression from the highlights package was exactly the opposite...seemed very accurate and made good decisions with well weighted kicks on both sides.

Funny how people can see things so differently. I thought Polec was one sided from the vidoes on his highlight package...always trying to get onto his left.

My only concern with Conca is he might be between an inside and outside mid, making him, at AFL level, a less damaging type of player. (ie. Caddy looks like a ready to go inside mid.)

Having said that...was impressed with Conca's ability at junior level to get the ball in one on ones, and had excellent delivery. Another one Jack's eyes will light up when he gets possession on the wing:thumbsu:

My only concern with Conca is he might be between an inside and outside mid, making him, at AFL level, a less damaging type of player. (ie. Caddy looks like a ready to go inside mid.)

Having said that...was impressed with Conca's ability at junior level to get the ball in one on ones, and had excellent delivery. Another one Jack's eyes will light up when he gets possession on the wing:thumbsu:

I wouldn't worry about that plenty of good players are between inside and outside at AFL level, Bartel, Ryan Griffin, Marc Murphy, Trengove, Ziebell etc.

Rapted with Conca i have faith in our recuriting staff, I also think his very good of the field i can see him been a regular next year and a 200 gamer.

I also dont think the "curse" of pick 6 will efect Conca because he was not tipped to go there and it would be unlikely he would have ben pick 6 if the Suns didnt get Toy or Matera as a 17 yo.

Both feet! if i recall correctly, its 10 targets (5 right foot kicks, 5 left), at 5 different distances and a time limit!
They kick from the goal square out to the targets the furthest target being on the 50m arc!

He didnt test at the combine he was tested through the year as part of the AIS

He tested at the state screening for WA which was held around a month after the Draft combine. Day and Gorringe did the same at the SA state screening

Rapted with Conca i have faith in our recuriting staff, I also think his very good of the field i can see him been a regular next year and a 200 gamer.

I also dont think the "curse" of pick 6 will efect Conca because he was not tipped to go there and it would be unlikely he would have ben pick 6 if the Suns didnt get Toy or Matera as a 17 yo.
This pick 6 curse is very much overrated. Recruiting is getting better and better each season, and the times where players like James Hird go at 70-something and JON in the first round are a lot harder to come by.

Gary Rohan last year at pick 6 doesn't look to be a failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have been trying to get some vision of our draftees mt- can you help- for overseas tigers we cant acccess stuff - can anyone upload and put it on u tube?

Was posted on the D&T forum
[YOUTUBE]3tyWCJMHQ2s[/YOUTUBE]
Enjoy

Looking at those highlights, it's little wonder we had him pencilled in at No 6 very early.
Interesting that at draft camp when he was interviewed by us, Dimma said he felt like he was the one being interviewed, so impressive was the young man.

First time seeing that for me too. Super impressive. Smooth, silk. One touch, dual-sided. Like.:thumbsu:
Am liking him more and more.
Question is. With him being such a level headed, intelligent kid, and super impressive...why did people have him around pick 20 in mock drafts? Not knocking mock drafts or questioning Reece one little bit.
Just curious as to why he was rated compatively low and why we rated him so high?

Am liking him more and more.
Question is. With him being such a level headed, intelligent kid, and super impressive...why did people have him around pick 20 in mock drafts? Not knocking mock drafts or questioning Reece one little bit.
Just curious as to why he was rated compatively low and why we rated him so high?
1. I dont think many of the "Experts" are from WA and have seen alot of him.
2. One of his strenghs is him off the field an no one knows him personaly.
3. Alot of the people who do mock drafts dont watch the drafties live and just go off what they read and because we didnt bring up his name it took Emma Qualye to find out and be public about him and then he alot higher in most peoples mocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

pick No 6: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Back