Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Good tackle - play on!

Just bad luck for Cornes but if I was a Melbourne supporter I'd be hoping Byron doesn't change his game. He seems to have about the right balance now, still rough enough to keep his opponent looking over their shoulder but restrained enough not to miss weeks.

The game is so buggered that he might get weeks for being 'Byron' but seriously if you watch it in real time and not slow motion, I didn't think there was much he could do differently once committed to the tackle.

Seriously, does this individual have any use whatsoever to the game of Football any more, outside going out to deliberately seriously harm (usually small, non-aggressive) opposition players? You can say 'legitimate tackle' all you like, but look back over the years at the ever growing list of players he's taken out in cowardly fashion: Krummell, Begley, Kennelly, Cornes (and they're just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.). He is a head-targetting scumbag of the lowest order, and Football will be a far far better game the day he is history....

It was a good tackle... nothing in it
unfortunate to see Kane get injured but thats footy

and for anyone to say a player "deserves" to get injured or knocked out, or if anyone took pleasure in seeing Kane Cornes get knocked out then they seriously need to get a life (looking at you the egg). I hope one day someone knocks you out and see how you like it.

When Hentschell was injured last season i felt really sorry for the lad. Took no pleasure whatsoever in his injury.

Anyone who wishes injury or pain on a player needs to be on the receiving end of it themselves in my opinion

Seriously, does this individual have any use whatsoever to the game of Football any more, outside going out to deliberately seriously harm (usually small, non-aggressive) opposition players? You can say 'legitimate tackle' all you like, but look back over the years at the ever growing list of players he's taken out in cowardly fashion: Krummell, Begley, Kennelly, Cornes (and they're just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.). He is a head-targetting scumbag of the lowest order, and Football will be a far far better game the day he is history....

Still a good tackle ...no matter what crap you spout off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a few more..
* Joe Misiti - broken jaw in a legal at the time hip and shoulder (but I think the MCG pitch was more to blame there..)
* Dean Kemp - broken collarbone in a legal tackle that would still be legal now
* Darren Milburn - busted shoulder in a legal contest for the ball

He didn't miss weeks for any of the above either from memory.. They don't support your 'head targetting scumbag' tag either because the ball was always contested. I think Kemp had the ball when tackled, Misiti either had it or was juggling it and both Pickett and Milburn were going for it int he last example.

he went in on lenny intentionally, not to break his collarbone, but with the intention of hurting him.

the tribunal is soft on sniping, and thats what he did to lenny.

what goes around comes around, GJ pickett IMO.

funny how port once defended his sniping :rolleyes:

I love people that cant read! Theres been about 20 Port supporters post in this thread and only one has said that he should be suspended for it. Every other one has said it was fine.

Tribunal result to affect Pickett’s career
Posted Aug 11, 2005 - 15:15 PM

One of the hardest players to ever play the game Dermott Brereton says Pickett’s chances of playing the same brand of football have been damaged.

"It's unfortunate it's Byron because it's going to hurt his chances of continuing his career in a fashion that's seen him be a very good player . . . and I believe a very fair player," Brereton said.[/QUOTE]

http://www.footygoss.com.au/modules...&POSTNUKESID=305234442715605b0dbcff0b79a9cc88

From another of Choppy's "indiscretions" a few years back. The irony...

Gaso

How can anyone seriously question his "toughness"? His head was smacked into the ground extremely hard. How does being tough have anything to do with that?

Dont worry. They are Crows supporters. Crows supporters are hard as **** dont you know? They even have a Harden The **** Up chanting crew :rolleyes:

Point out one dirty incident by either player. Derm stepping on Tallis head isn't included as the poor man was under a bit of stress at the time.

Pickett is dirty. Derm & Dipper good hard ball players.

Id say Derm breaking Tony Frees jaw would be right up there.

Good onya Byron you just keep running hard and hitting harder mate. Bad luck for Kane but their was no malice in this from Byron. I hope nothing comes of this and wish Byron all the best in everything he does. He is and always will be a Port Premiership player, some of the Port posters here should remember that.

While I thought it was no more than a football accident, the AFL Tribunal 2007 booklet might suggest the MRP could view it differently. If I've read it correctly that is.

http://prod.mm.afl.cfour.com.au/afl/docs/Tribunal-Booklet-07.pdf

In determining the level of impact, regard will be had to the extent of force and in particular any injury sustained by the player who was offended against. Regard will also be had to the potential to cause serious injury such as in the following cases:

any head high contact with a player who has his head over the ball ...;
forceful round arm swings that make head-high contact to a player in a marking contest ...;
use of an elbow or a raised forearm to strike an opponent;
spear tackles;
driving an opponent into the ground when his arms are pinned

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back