Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm one for hardness etc but thought this was just dirty. Threw him head first to the ground after the ball had been disposed off. Knew he had Cornes wrapped up and that he would be unable to break the fall. Had a chance to take someone out rather than chase for the ball and surprise, what choice did he make. Just like a spear tackle in league. I don't know of many other players in the league who would have done that. Rub the dirty sniping bastard out.

If the match panel review report Pickett for that he might as well give the game away. It looked to me like the perfect tackle & the only reason Kane's head hit the turf was because Byron had pinned both his arms. I'll have to watch the replay when i get back into Adelaide Monday afternoon but from where i sat there was nothing in it other than maybe giving a free kick to Cornes.

It's ****ing ridiculous that we are even talking about this. FFS what else was he meant to do, he tackled Cornes and while he is going through the motion kane kicks the ball and then goes forward.

I will start another thread on the fact that I am convinced that each channel 7's footy coverage and channel 10's are deliberalatly highlighting normal incidents in a bad light to stir controversy and ratings.

Been a good read sifting through that sort of stuff.... some deluded poeple out there.

It was a fair tackle and play on, unlucky that Kane got hurt but no major malice in it at all I thought.

We should just bump the laughable threads that cropped up after he fairly took out Biglands in the 2005 Semi.

Perfect tackle, unfortunate result. That's footy.

well so far only one or two out of all the port supporters who have posted in this thread think that choppy should go

my thought is that he will be fine... if he isnt then its another reason that the AFL is stuffed and soccer will end up taking over as the premier sport in this country

the AFL / Umpires / Flooding is destroying this wonderful sport of ours

Also what's this shit about being a sniper, people in this thread clearly have no idea what a sniper is, Byron hit people fair and front on, changes in interpretations after his actions have gotten him suspended plus it being Byron. There was the one he got 2 or 3 weeks for when he bumped someone in the middle of the MCG in the last season he played for us, fair and square and if it were anyone else no report, Byron - 3 weeks.

He has a different set of reportable offences to everyone else.

We should just bump the laughable threads that cropped up after he fairly took out Biglands in the 2005 Semi.

Perfect tackle, unfortunate result. That's footy.

The only highlight of that night for a Port supporter to be honest. :(

The buff ruckman lines up a short but stocky Byron, Byron sees him at the last moment and meets the challenge, bodies collide, a surprised Biglands hits the ground semi-conscious, wondering if he bit of more than he could chew on this 15cm, 20kg less player in Byron.

*Cue the Advertiser story of Rhetts mum claiming he's not soft* LOL

So here is everyone saying how soft the game has gone, now there has been an incident where Byron has knocked Cornes out, now you all sook.

You bunch of sooks..

BTW ; why did it have to be Cornes, he is in both my DT and SC, let's hope he's right for next week.

Fair tackle, play on, unlucky for Kane.

Kane = ball player and good bloke to boot.

The Egg = the intellectual giant of big footy. Strong possiblity Pickett laid a similar tackle on his mother while pregnant.

Disappointed some of my fellow Port supporters are crying foul over the Pickett tackle, it was just part of footy, as I said on the Demons board

"The Pickett tackle on Kane was perfect, he trapped Kane's arms, went to ground on the side, totally avoiding Kane's back. Kane was just unlucky he bounced his head on the turf, 'twas a solid bit of footy."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Centurian 'Oh and uh, throw him to the floor, Sir?'
Pilate 'What?'
Cntrian 'Thwow him to the floor again, Sir?'
Pilate 'Oh, yes. Thwow him to the floor please.'

photo_07.jpg

You're soft because you're complaining about this tackle. It was a damn fine tackle, play on, unlucky Cornes was KO'd. You want to just ban tackling and bumping altogether? Go watch netball.

If Pickett were in a Port jumper and Cornes a Melbourne one, the Herald-Sun would have been all over it, demanding a report and suspension.

Tim Watson said just one thing right yesterday, and that was if Aaron Davey was Barry Hall, he'd have been reported for charging.

You're soft because you're complaining about this tackle. It was a damn fine tackle, play on, unlucky Cornes was KO'd. You want to just ban tackling and bumping altogether? Go watch netball.

YOU F****N TOSSES THAT THINK PICKETTS TACKLE WASNT CALLED FOR AND HE DESERVES TO BE PINGED NEED TO HAVE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT YOURSELVES.IT WAS A FAIR TACKLE AROUND THE WAIST NO ELBOWS JUST A GOOD HARD FAIR TACKLE

If Pickett were in a Port jumper and Cornes a Melbourne one, the Herald-Sun would have been all over it, demanding a report and suspension.

Tim Watson said just one thing right yesterday, and that was if Aaron Davey was Barry Hall, he'd have been reported for charging.

That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard, exactly the same thing happened to Bruce when Guerra tackled him a couple of years ago. His shoulder was smashed in the tackle and he missed about 8 weeks and guess what the result was - Nothing, no media uproar, no suspension because it was a good tackle, play on.

Barry Hall may have been suspended but he would have been let off by the tribunal you goose. :rolleyes:

Typical Byron Pickett. There was a hard ball to be got, and the unlikable little Cornes twit went and got it. Pickett hung back so he could deliver one of his trademark "bonecrunchers" instead of actually contesting possesion and his opponent got the ball away.

Pickett is a skilled player, but he has not shown the courage to take the hits he delivers. I'd rather have him on the opposition any day. Give me a player who will take the punishment to get the ball rather than showboat.

Cornes comes out of this having proven he is brave: he's an irritating brat but he's also a footballer from a footballing family. Pickett has shown again he'd prefer to hurt someone than actually get the footy himself in a contest.

Good tackle. If he get's rubbed out for a perfectly executed tackled I'll fair dinkum spew and go postal.

I wish we still had him back at North, if only to show and teach Leigh Brown how to hurt an opponent.

YOU F****N TOSSES THAT THINK PICKETTS TACKLE WASNT CALLED FOR AND HE DESERVES TO BE PINGED NEED TO HAVE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT YOURSELVES.IT WAS A FAIR TACKLE AROUND THE WAIST NO ELBOWS JUST A GOOD HARD FAIR TACKLE

I know you are probably on your way to school as I write this but have you even read this thread? You sir, are a moron.

Haven't read the whole thread, but as a Port supporter I think it was a legitamate tackle. Pinging the arms is generally the whole point of tackling. Just unfortunate that momentum made Cornes' head hit the ground hard. In my opinion there was nothing at all wrong with the tackle. Did he even get a free kick - no because it was a good fair tackle.

You could even argue that it was a perfect tackle because it legally and unintentionally took an opposition player out of the game. Byron is unfairly targeted with the hysteria that I assume has been posted in the last 19 pages of this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back