Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a very interesting one! Yes, it was technically legal but it gets a bit more complex than that.
The question is - what was Pickett's intent in laying the tackle? Answer, presumably either to prevent Cornes disposing of the ball, or affect the disposal so it went off course. If he causes Cornes some pain in so doing well, that is part of the game. But, having laid the tackle AS Cornes released the ball legally, what was then his intention? Well, from the vision there seems to be no attempt to release the tackle! Instead he seems to deliberately hold on to the tackle well after the ball is gone and drives his opponent into the turf. I realise that Pickett and "hard football" defenders will say that it is all part of the one movement but it is not. Now, this is where Pickett's problem might arise - if the powers that be believe he clearly had a choice, but chose an action that could cause a defenceless player injury then he might be in trouble!
Just think through those words again "chose an action that could cause a defenceless player injury" and then run your brain's videotape of other Pickett incidents over many years and you may see a pattern may start to emerge.
By way of example I recall a collision with Simon Wiggins of Carlton where the same occurred - he chose an action to hurt, when he could have chosen an action which would not.
It might be an interesting week!

What a complet load of garbage ...both players body weight carried them forward ..Pickett would have had no idea if the ball was released or not ...I hope your posts improve from this load of crap :rolleyes:

Dipper was a thug and so was Dermie - or am I making this an ethnic/irish issue.

Rhys Jones was also a thug - but not sure of his nationality.

Drop the racial remarks. No room for this here thanks. Derm & Dipper were good hard clean players. I agree Rhys Jones used to get out of hand now and then.

I'm a port supporter, I don't think there was anything at all wrong with the tackle. It was unfortunate, and that's all. Good hard footy

Explain to me where there was any derogatory remarks about anyone's race.

Derm and Dipper would good hard clean players - bulltish - where you even alive when they played?

If you believe Pickett to be dirty and not the aforementioned players of your beloved club - you sir/or madam must be deluded.

Point out one dirty incident by either player. Derm stepping on Tallis head isn't included as the poor man was under a bit of stress at the time.

Pickett is dirty. Derm & Dipper good hard ball players.

Point out one dirty incident by either player. Derm stepping on Tallis head isn't included as the poor man was under a bit of stress at the time.

Pickett is dirty. Derm & Dipper good hard ball players.

I've followed Hawthorn all my life, and it pains me to say this to a fellow Hawks supporter, but you're a fool.

Check their tribunal records. They gave as good as they got, but a lot of what they gave was illegal.

Very dissapointed with that effort from Pickett. If those tackles (driving a player head/neck first into the turf) become common place it wont be too long before we have a new club in the AFL. The Quads Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've followed Hawthorn all my life, and it pains me to say this to a fellow Hawks supporter, but you're a fool.

Check their tribunal records. They gave as good as they got, but a lot of what they gave was illegal.

What sort of Hawthorn supporter are you? You'll be getting stuck into Lethal & Scotty next. More hard clean ball players.

Hawks fans arent afraid to say that they follow the hawks so in all honesty i dont believe for one minute you follow the hawks.

You obviously missed the 70's and 80's.

Gaso

I've had enough. Of course Derm & Dipper gave it out. At least they put themselves back in the line of fire though. Never seen Pickett do that.

This thread has run its course.

Fair Tackle and another victim of Bryon Pickett. Wish he was still at North Melbourne

Not a fair tackle..... A great tackle!

If Byron gets rubbed out for this while cowards like Goodes roam the footy field there is something wrong with our game.

Picket didn't spear tackle him it was Cornes momentum that carried him forward and because his arms were pinned he could preven his head from smackin' the turf.

I wish he was still at North too.

He's one with a brain ..you however missed out big time in the cerebal department :eek:

I have it on good authority that this is FordGTHO;

moran.jpg

You can't get one past him.

If Byron gets rubbed out for this while cowards like Goodes roam the footy field there is something wrong with our game.

Picket didn't spear tackle him it was Cornes momentum that carried him forward and because his arms were pinned he could preven his head from smackin' the turf.

We have known that for a few years now.

Why? He does **** all except eat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back