Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of spankers in this thread. Thankfully, the majority of Port supporters appear to be reasonably objective.

Typical Byron Pickett. There was a hard ball to be got, and the unlikable little Cornes twit went and got it. Pickett hung back so he could deliver one of his trademark "bonecrunchers" instead of actually contesting possesion and his opponent got the ball away.

Pickett is a skilled player, but he has not shown the courage to take the hits he delivers. I'd rather have him on the opposition any day. Give me a player who will take the punishment to get the ball rather than showboat.

Cornes comes out of this having proven he is brave: he's an irritating brat but he's also a footballer from a footballing family. Pickett has shown again he'd prefer to hurt someone than actually get the footy himself in a contest.

You're a knob.

egg you're a pathetic piece of crap yourself.

& what a big, tough,scary key-board you must have. :rolleyes:

Please get over it, that insult has been thrashed. I'll rubbish Cornes all i wan't. Like others said it was a great tackle im just saying i wouldnt want it to be layed on any other player apart from Kane :rolleyes:

No one answered my question, and I still haven't seen it replayed yet (only the once on the news at normal speed).

It looks like Pickett tackled from behind, then rode into his back? So two things.

1. Shouldn't that be a free kick for in-the-back? (don't think any were paid), and

2. With the AFL cracking down on tackles to cause injury (including driving head into ground with arms pinned), could Byron have done the 'perfect tackle' and come down beside Cornes (twisting in the motion of falling so as not to land in his back)?

I think it will get looked at, and worry that with his record and profile as a dirty player and sniper it could be a hefty consequence, which for mine is just a little bit silly given the 'borderline' nature of any possible report.

This is not the worst example of this type of straitjacket tackle as it was mainly his momentum that took Cornes forward. But I applaud the AFL's decision to scrutinise these tackles - they are completely misplaced machismo & can cause serious injury.

In todays footy yes the tackle was legal,but at the point of the contest Pickett did in fact take a couple of shorter steps to "time" his tackle rather than larger ones to attempt to get first hands on the footy.Maybe that is the point with Pickett,as he has a history of running over the top of the footy to collect a ball getter or again "timing his run" to lay a big hit or tackle rather than be the first to the contest with the possibility of copping what he is giving.Surely the real courage is getting the footy a la Luke Ball,Brett Kirk etc

ATTENTION ALL PEOPLE THINKING PICKETT SHOULD BE SUSPENDED: Australian Rules Football is a contact sport. I understand the AFL find it necessary to change a rule every year for the sake of changing a rule, but from memory a tackle is still legal in our great game.
Perfectly executed tackle and will only draw attention because sections of the media have him hung, drawn and quartered already.

No one answered my question, and I still haven't seen it replayed yet (only the once on the news at normal speed).

It looks like Pickett tackled from behind, then rode into his back? So two things.

1. Shouldn't that be a free kick for in-the-back? (don't think any were paid), and

2. With the AFL cracking down on tackles to cause injury (including driving head into ground with arms pinned), could Byron have done the 'perfect tackle' and come down beside Cornes (twisting in the motion of falling so as not to land in his back)?

I think it will get looked at, and worry that with his record and profile as a dirty player and sniper it could be a hefty consequence, which for mine is just a little bit silly given the 'borderline' nature of any possible report.

He didn't really get him in the back, that's the thing. More landed next to him.

Attempting to give a damn...

Unable to give a damn. Stopping.

Process failed. Damn not given.

I meant it in the nicest possible way... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one's really to blame and just because it was Pickett that laid the tackle it's going to be news all week !!
What made it worse was Cornes dropping his knee's at point of contact, that just made the impact of his head to the ground worse.You did'nt see the port boys remonstrate with choppy, sure it will be looked at but if he goes for this it'll be a joke....

If Pickett were in a Port jumper and Cornes a Melbourne one, the Herald-Sun would have been all over it, demanding a report and suspension.

FWIW, I think that the tackle was legitimate and no report is necessary.

I just love the irony of all of this though. I was at the MCG a few years back when Pickett was out of form and tried to impose himself with a few bumps on Melbourne players... the hoots and boos from the Dees supporters for what were legitimate bumps were amazing.

I bet they were all lined up defending him now!

The Tribunal copped a bagging last week for the let off of Adam Goodes...

What worries me is that they will make up for it this week, and suspend Pickett and Fraser Gehrig.

IMO, both incidents were not worthy of a mention. Apart from the fact that Pickett is still a hard nut :)

What! I spose you want to give him 2 shots at the foul line. Its football! Players that are tough and solid should still be able to play to their strengths. Get in the gym Cornes and harden up.

No, no, no. It was in the side. Perfectly executed tackle. Watch it again.

He didn't land in his back. The problem was that Cornes' arms were pinned, so he couldn't put them up to prevent his head hitting the turf. If there was anything wrong with the tackle, a free kick would've been forthcoming. It wasn't.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that. If he goes for it, it is the equivalent of him being umpired out of the game.

The Tribunal copped a bagging last week for the let off of Adam Goodes...

What worries me is that they will make up for it this week, and suspend Pickett and Fraser Gehrig.

IMO, both incidents were not worthy of a mention. Apart from the fact that Pickett is still a hard nut :)
No doubt there will be an unfortunate reactionary directive that this week penalties must be imposed. There will be a show of strength. How dare the General Public criticise the AFL. I reckon Baker's more likely to go than Fraser.

Message to 'the egg' :- STFU!!!!!:thumbsdown:

You are an embarrassment not just to Crows supporters, but the human race in general.:eek:

Most boring non issue thread on BF in awhile. Unfortunate for Cornes..............possibly a free for in the back.................absolutely no way the tackle's worth a report.

T'toes:confused:

He didn't really get him in the back, that's the thing. More landed next to him.

Nothing illeagal in the tackle. Fine example of how to make an opponent pay really.

I meant it in the nicest possible way... ;)

I've been called worse;)

I guess Byron cops it from all quarters. He's not the worst bloke playing footy.

I get cross when he's described as "tough". I think he snipes, in that he hunts the man and actually lets the ball go at times. I saw the replay and as soon as Pickett came into the frame I thought "He's lurking, looking for the hit".

If a Pie did that at the business end of the game I'd be ropeable. Compare that to the way McLean and the little bloodnut chucked themselves at the ball time and again, wore hits, even travis Johnson had a go (and he's not famous for it). They gave you a crack at the win.

Come on guys, someone post the video, I had to watch a chick flick with the missus yesterday while this game was on :eek:

Sidenote, Music and Lyrics is actually a very good movie :p

Come on guys, someone post the video, I had to watch a chick flick with the missus yesterday while this game was on :eek:

Basically Pickett clamped Cornes' arms to his body and with the momentum of the tackle, nearly buried his head in the turf.

It is dangerous particularly for the neck but it was a fair tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett's Tackle on Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back