Picks 1, 2 and 3

Remove this Banner Ad

blueskies

Club Legend
May 9, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Well the year is pretty much shot.

I say we tank for Picks 1 and 2, and trade Fev to Richmond for Pick 3.

So we get the first 3 Picks in the Draft.

Why the hell not??

Kruezer + 2 gun mids.

We all want us to be successful right? Well there's our ticket.

Or would you rather eek out a couple more hollow wins and feel all fuzzy on the inside for about 30 seconds because we finished 3rd last and not last?

Why the hell not??

Kruezer + 2 gun mids.

Or would you rather eek out a couple more hollow wins and feel all fuzzy on the inside for about 30 seconds because we finished 3rd last and not last?

strangely enough I had the exact same thought, there's already a thread on it.

This could be our side in the future -

Backs Thornton, Setanta, Anderson
Half Backs Gibbs (1), Aisake, Walker (2)
Centres Simpson, Stevens, Cotchin (2)
Rucks Kruezer (1), Grimes (3), Murphy (1)
Half Forwards Fisher, Kennedy (5), Carrazzo
Forwards Betts, Waite, Hartlett

Interchange from Benjamin, Bower, Grigg, Russell, Hampson, Scotland, Houlihan

Not bad ey!!

Who's to say we are not tanking now?

I heard a bloke near me at the hawks game yell out "Carlton, stop tanking!"

Imagine the coach walking into the rooms with the boys after training and saying, "Listen fellas, we don't really wanna win another game this season, I mean I know it means my arse is out the door but for your sake we are gunna lose all remaining games to ensure we get the spoon and some top picks. How's that sound?"

If I was a player and I heard that I'd tell the coach to go **** himself. They play to win. 22 blokes going out to lose everyweek? You're kidding.

Ah, sorry, sincere apologies.

(I think we should start a petition to get the club to tank, so we have the world's first ever all star draft midfield)

There's no such thing as coaches telling playres to lay down.

But there is such a thing as an all-out attack game plan that leaves you 100% vulnerable on the way back :)

I still think a winning culture is a far better way to go, however, except for the 2 Melbourne games, I don't think we have a chance of winning another game this year.

I really think that we will struggle to win any more games at all HBF. There will probably be one or two lucky ones in there, but i really feel that these 2 consecutive beltings have really taken away that belief we had from winning 2 in a row.

When we look at the draw, we dont really look likely to win any of these games, especially with Fev at the crossroads and a young team coming into the final half of the season.

I'd much rather be winning some games and finnishing 13th or so, but i feel that we will only be able to manage 15th at best.

Good oportunity come years end to get our hands on some really good young players, especially if we decide to offload Fev for a first round pick and a good young player (maybe mark lecras and west coasts first couple of picks?)

I feel our list still needs to be stripped down a little bit further in the next couple of seasons. We need to be clever about how this pans out, and how we draft. Hopefully it will be OUR turn to snag a gem with a latish pick.

Ahhh I see, pseudo tanking. :thumbsu:

Now I get it :D

Zac Dawson playing on Anthony Rocca anyone?

Alistair Clarkson: "oh yeah, we just needed to leave him on a quality player for sustained period of time to get some experience. He will be better for it in the long run, and it was the right move"

REAL MEANING: "well, we know that we aren't really ready to challenge for a flag THIS year, and although we are on the way up, we'd still like to have one more year of top draft picks to help solidify our future"

Why the hell not??

Kruezer + 2 gun mids.

Couldnt see us giving up pick 3 for Fevola (Bulldogs, Crows far more likely to want him) and the chances of us winning 3 more games to pass Carlton aren't very good either. So the best you guys could do is picks 1 and 3 which is still very handy. However Melbourne look to be losing Green, Neitz and Johnstone through injury this week and will definetly suffer a let down after last week, unless Robbo kicks 10 you guys will smash them even without Fev.

if we were to trade fev, i'd imagine he'd want to get out of melbourne ala tarrant. plus richmond i doubt would be interested. they have richo, brown, shulz, and young jack riewoldt. if he was to go i'd really want something decent for him. he is after all the reigning coleman medalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is the point in finishing higher than 12th on laddar for carlton we need the best of the best it happened when we got russel have a look at the players that went before him in the draft.

What about taking a high pick and chasing one of these-

Players out of contract at the end of the year include Chris Judd, Nick Dal Santo, Dale Thomas, Josh Fraser, Paul Hasleby, Matt Maguire, Luke McPharlin, Campbell Brown, Jamie Charman, Andrew Lovett, Des Headland, Warren Tredrea, Heath Shaw, Matthew Pavlich and Nick Riewoldt.

Some may be re signed got this off an article about a month ago

Players out of contract at the end of the year include Chris Judd, Nick Dal Santo, Dale Thomas, Josh Fraser, Paul Hasleby, Matt Maguire, Luke McPharlin, Campbell Brown, Jamie Charman, Andrew Lovett, Des Headland, Warren Tredrea, Heath Shaw, Matthew Pavlich and Nick Riewoldt.

I'd look at Campbell Brown and Charman first then Dal Santo.

Cheaper and good defenders and ruckman are harder to find than good midfielders. We have enough young midfielders coming through and we will pick up more in the draft, unless we get Kreuzer.

I wouldn't really want to get Judd, too expensive and we've had enough publicity lately for my liking.

Carlton will win another game or two so probably won't get the PP,which is not a top5 pick btw but 17/18. So assuming Melbourne and Richmond stay as crap Carlton may get pick 3 depending also on how crap brisbane stay!

Carlton will win another game or two so probably won't get the PP,which is not a top5 pick btw but 17/18. So assuming Melbourne and Richmond stay as crap Carlton may get pick 3 depending also on how crap brisbane stay!

Incorrect-the new rule is over a 2 year period, so if we don't win another game this year we will have a priority pick BEFORE the first round, and maybe (not sure on this one) even a priority pick after the first round.

Melbourne will win a few more games this year, they actually have a decent list. They probably finish above us this year.

Richmond are an interesting one-they seem to have found some inspiration from Brown coming back. They won't do well, but they will probably win a few more games. I also think we will win a game or 2 more from somewhere, but we are still vulnerable and the spoon is still a possibiliity unfortunately. Just imagine if we didn't end up winning another game and we finished with the spoon. Picks 1 and 2 sound very nice and oh so tempting, but it is a long shot.

Why would you get pick 2? I thought that the priority pick was after round 1?

If you have 4 wins or less two years in a row you get a priority pick before the start of the first round which would be pick 1. We would then have pick 2 from finishing last (so its pretty much like the old system except it only applies to us). Still, I highly doubt Richmond would win enough games to overtake us meaning we could theoretically get the no. 1 draft pick without winning the spoon (so we would probably get pick 3 as well not pick 2).

If you have 4 wins or less two years in a row you get a priority pick before the start of the first round which would be pick 1. We would then have pick 2 from finishing last (so its pretty much like the old system except it only applies to us). Still, I highly doubt Richmond would win enough games to overtake us meaning we could theoretically get the no. 1 draft pick without winning the spoon (so we would probably get pick 3 as well not pick 2).
The priority pick is number 17

it would be hard to get judd so we should go for dal santo

What a bunch of soft supporters some of you are. Two games ago everyone is behind the team and club, no talk of tanking and everyone talking about building a winning culture. 2 bad losses and everyone jumps off the wagon and starts talking about deliberately losing. I am sure Pratt would be pushing that line!

People should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes as someone said I can see us winning this weekend, however Melbourne might be flat after the emotion of last week.

Definitely see us winning one of the two Melbourne games.

Fevola and Neitz cancel each other out this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 1, 2 and 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back