Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

And, believe or not MD, Geelong FC is not making a song and dance of this like Eddie Maguire did. That's the difference between the two clubs. Instead of waiting to see if the club actually needed compensation, Eddie came out bleating about losing a crucial member of its management team. Turns out Collingwood didn't need compensation as the minute Eade announced his intention the Pies had their eyes on Balme.

The problem, as always, is the way Eddie goes about his business, like a spoilt child. Wouldn't it be nice if he acted professionally?

Geelong aren't making a song and dance because they don't have a leg to stand on with Balme.
It has nothing to do with personalities, it has everything to do with the meaning of contracts.
One had a rolling contract that wasn't renewed.
One did.

All these smug collingwood fanbois crowing over Balme not having a proper contract at Geelong/not having to pay compensation are forgetting one thing... no matter how little compensation you have to pay, you are all a bunch of hypocritical campaigners ... crying at the first whiff of Eade leaving and then gloating that Balme left Geelong for Collingwood. I cant wait until another year is over, you are still asking yourself whether Mick could have won more flags if he had stayed on, and whether Buckley is as much of a flop as James Hird. But keep on thinking your shit smells like roses

Why would Collingwood pay compo for a bloke Geelong wanted out? Balmes days at Geelong were over and he was being shown the door. Pretty simple really he just took the only job left available.

I honestly doubt this is a massive coup for Collingwood, just seems like another job for the boys mentality that's crept into that club since Malthouse left...

Malthouse is/was well known for wanting people around him he liked. Just like many people. Buckley does the same and it's "jobs for the boys".

................But that won't happen, will it? We all believe in EQUALIZATION..................

Umm, Nope, not all of us believe in equalization.

Survival of the fittest or natural selection I say!

Call it what you will but equalization means that organizations who get "equalized" over time begin to rely on it and no longer make the extra effort to find income streams.
Then they begin to think that they are entitled to it and sit back and wait for the $$$$ to be GIVEN to them without making the effort to EARN it. Those handing the money over don't push the recipients to earn their own $$ because they are too busy "doing the right thing" and collecting and re-distributing the equalization cash.
Then those that are working hard and just balancing the books or making small profits say "Why Bother?" and they decide they want to be "Equalized" too.
Then those who generate the income, get screwed and screwed for more and more, year after year until the "minority" can t make a profit for themselves because all of their money is being "equalized" to the majority.
Then the AFL will OWN all the clubs, rig the competition and we will all win one flag every 18 years and everything will be vanilla.

Is that what you want???

Call it what you will but equalization means that organizations who get "equalized" over time begin to rely on it and no longer make the extra effort to find income streams.
Then they begin to think that they are entitled to it and sit back and wait for the $$$$ to be GIVEN to them without making the effort to EARN it. Those handing the money over don't push the recipients to earn their own $$ because they are too busy "doing the right thing" and collecting and re-distributing the equalization cash.
Then those that are working hard and just balancing the books or making small profits say "Why Bother?" and they decide they want to be "Equalized" too.
Then those who generate the income, get screwed and screwed for more and more, year after year until the "minority" can t make a profit for themselves because all of their money is being "equalized" to the majority.
Then the AFL will OWN all the clubs, rig the competition and we will all win one flag every 18 years and everything will be vanilla.

Is that what you want???

When teams dont start on a level playing field they have no choice do they?

Is that what you want???

I would suck a sav to win a flag every 18 years!

Why would Collingwood pay compo for a bloke Geelong wanted out? Balmes days at Geelong were over and he was being shown the door. Pretty simple really he just took the only job left available.

This is the 4th time you've said this in a few pages of thread without anyone responding. I must admit your predictable appearances on all threads Collingwood are somewhat amusing, although I do worry for your sanity mate...

This is the 4th time you've said this in a few pages of thread without anyone responding. I must admit your predictable appearances on all threads Collingwood are somewhat amusing, although I do worry for your sanity mate...

Blokes keep repeating that Geelong would want compo. Its pretty simple really he was not required so he can do what he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam H is pathetic. He doesn't appreciate smooth transition with the appointment of someone like Balme.
The Saints are a rabble when it comes to transition management. Greg Hutchinson was 'made redundant' as Football Ops Manager at the Saints last year as part of a review by Pelchen. Last of the Ross Lyon era. Then Pelchen reviews himself out of the Saints job and resigns. Ameet Bains was made temporary manager and then promoted to Chief Operating Officer. Let alone their shambolic changes of coaches, loss of Lyon then Watters. At least they have Richardson now. Still trying to score points against the Pies - he needs to get over 2010.

Last edited:
As much as Balme has played a part in Geelong's success in the last 8 years, it would seem the time is right for both parties to part company. Both Balme and Geelong risk becoming stagnant, and Scott needs to either sink or swim with this list without being propped up by a Thompson-era guy IMO.

As much as Balme has played a part in Geelong's success in the last 8 years, it would seem the time is right for both parties to part company. Both Balme and Geelong risk becoming stagnant, and Scott needs to either sink or swim with this list without being propped up by a Thompson-era guy IMO.

Time to go Brian Cook.

Malthouse is/was well known for wanting people around him he liked. Just like many people. Buckley does the same and it's "jobs for the boys".

TBH I was referring more to Eddie in this instance, with his previous working relationship with Balme.

If Balme can help heal the (just as an outsider observing) supposed disharmony with the playing group at Collingwood, then i think he will have earned his keep.

Brian Cook is a great operator but his main goal now is securing funding for the remaining upgrade of Kardinia Park and seeing that through.
Apparently he promised Costa he would see this through.

Appointments of Hocking at Geelong and Balme at Collingwood are good for both clubs.
Hocking will be great for the Cats and is able to step out from Balmes shadow. He has been running the commerial ops dept for some time anyway.
Balme was only on a year by year handshake deal with the cats. Pies needed a senior figure with a wealth of experience to replace Eade. Balme brings that to the club.

Last edited:
That's not true really. They always had a succession plan in place for Balme and probably thought he'd be at Geelong for a couple of more years until it came into force (When Balme reaches 65). Rumours that he was about to be dumped have no basis in fact. If there was that much bad blood they wouldn't be insisting he stay for the Draft, they'd let him go now.

All this talk of compensation, and Eddie bashing is BF generated crap. Cook said categorically they couldn't claim compensation, and that they didn't really mind Balme leaving because Hocking has always been in training to take his place. Apart from losing a good operator and a good bloke to have around the club, the Cats will go on with barely ripple.

I think too many people are trying to turn this into something it isn't. I know it's the off-season, but get a grip.

TBH I was referring more to Eddie in this instance, with his previous working relationship with Balme.

We let the bloke go in the first place. Eddie did that....and now we have hired him again, so what?

If Balme can help heal the (just as an outsider observing) supposed disharmony with the playing group at Collingwood, then i think he will have earned his keep.

You do realise that this is kind of an opposite view to your first post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back