Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

In some ways the ease with which Balme was allowed to exit without an attempt for compo is illustrative of the soft stance the club takes on too many things.

Had the roles been reversed McGuire would have been all over the Cats for compo. The fact there was no obligation other than an agreement for 4 weeks notice is only half the story. When Eade moved McGuire was bleating about the costs associated with finding a replacement and having do so at relatively short notice. Some costs as it turned out btw. Well, the Cats will have to incur time and expense to find a replacement for Hocking following his elevation to GM of Football- at short notice. We should have gone after Collingwood for those costs as they would have had the roles been reversed.

Which brings me to a point of criticism of Cookie. Someone I have unbounding admiration for. However, having all our senior management on one year hand shake agreements is loose management in my view. Wouldn't happen elsewhere and would be fixed quickly by whoever succeeds him.

There's that word again.

I yearn for the days when "Pot. Kettle. Black" was the phrase everyone on Bigfooty had to use in their posts.
Do you realise that the word "Campaigner" is a swear filter replacement word for a nasty word that starts with C and rhymes with Hunt? ;)

In some ways the ease with which Balme was allowed to exit without an attempt for compo is illustrative of the soft stance the club takes on too many things.

Had the roles been reversed McGuire would have been all over the Cats for compo. The fact there was no obligation other than an agreement for 4 weeks notice is only half the story. When Eade moved McGuire was bleating about the costs associated with finding a replacement and having do so at relatively short notice. Some costs as it turned out btw. Well, the Cats will have to incur time and expense to find a replacement for Hocking following his elevation to GM of Football- at short notice. We should have gone after Collingwood for those costs as they would have had the roles been reversed.

Which brings me to a point of criticism of Cookie. Someone I have unbounding admiration for. However, having all our senior management on one year hand shake agreements is loose management in my view. Wouldn't happen elsewhere and would be fixed quickly by whoever succeeds him.

Eade had a contract that had a specified term of employment. Balme wasn't on a contract at all, so if he wanted to leave all he had to give was 4 weeks notice. So the two cases are different. If an employee resigns from any business, it's not up to his new employer to cover the costs of replacing him at his old job. I think people have very unrealistic opinions about this. It's going to be much easier for Geelong to find someone to run their commercial side, than it would be to find a good Football manager. The club has handled this well. You can't stop someone from resigning from their job if that's their choice. Especially if they're not under any specific contractual obligations. It happens all the time.

Last edited:

The way some people's hatred of Collingwood impacts on their ability to think rationally bewilders me. Eade wanted to leave but couldn't, because he was under contract at Collingwood. He was unable to simply give notice to terminate his tenure. He didn't break his contract. The clubs came together and hashed out a negotiated outcome both parties were happy with. Eade is now at GCS and all is well.

Balme was on a rolling contract and COULD terminate his employment by giving four weeks notice of resignation. Geelong has no options and no way of compelling our club to pay them anything. 'Compensation' in the circumstances would in fact be charity.

The way some people's hatred of Collingwood impacts on their ability to think rationally bewilders me. Eade wanted to leave but couldn't, because he was under contract at Collingwood. He was unable to simply give notice to terminate his tenure. He didn't break his contract. The clubs came together and hashed out a negotiated outcome both parties were happy with. Eade is now at GCS and all is well.

Balme was on a rolling contract and COULD terminate his employment by giving four weeks notice of resignation. Geelong has no options and no way of compelling our club to pay them anything. 'Compensation' in the circumstances would in fact be charity.

You're making the flawed assumption that half the posters on here have the capacity for rational thought to begin with.

Eade had a contract that had a specified term of employment. Balme wasn't on a contract at all, so if he wanted to leave all he had to give was 4 weeks notice.

Furthermore Balme had been at the club for 9 years and helped win premierships. You could say he had 'earned' the right to be treated with some respect and allowed to leave having paid his dues. Eade had only been at the Pies 2 years and achieved little.

Have to say this is good for the Pies. I don't have the first idea what a Footy Manager does or whether Balme is any good at being one, but he is at the very least lucky. Premierships at Richmond (player), Norwood (coach), Collingwood and Geelong. Even the team he built at Woodvile West Torrens went onto win the premiership the year after he left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eade had a contract that had a specified term of employment. Balme wasn't on a contract at all, so if he wanted to leave all he had to give was 4 weeks notice. So the two cases are different. If an employee resigns from any business, it's not up to his new employer to cover the costs of replacing him at his old job. I think people have very unrealistic opinions about this. It's going to be much easier for Geelong to find someone to run their commercial side, than it would be to find a good Football manager. The club has handled this well. You can't stop someone from resigning from their job if that's their choice. Especially if they're not under any specific contractual obligations. It happens all the time.
Um! I thought I made it abundantly clear there were no contractual matters in play here. So I'm not quite sure why you'd raise that.

The point was that McGuire's attack on GC was two-fold. One related to the Eade contract. However, he was equally vociferous (if not more so) about the cost of finding a replacement. He also banged-on about how late in the piece the move on Eade occurred. Two matters that adversely affect us too.

You might think finding a top operator the run our commercial department is easy. I can assure it is not. And certainly way harder than the Maggies effort to replace Eade. That would have been a couple of phone calls and a meeting.

Our club has become known as a soft touch in many areas. This is another. There is no way McGuire would not have used all his media connections to kick-up an almighty hullabaloo had the roles been reversed.

Um! I thought I made it abundantly clear there were no contractual matters in play here. So I'm not quite sure why you'd raise that.

The point was that McGuire's attack on GC was two-fold. One related to the Eade contract. However, he was equally vociferous (if not more so) about the cost of finding a replacement. He also banged-on about how late in the piece the move on Eade occurred. Two matters that adversely affect us too.

You might think finding a top operator the run our commercial department is easy. I can assure it is not. And certainly way harder than the Maggies effort to replace Eade. That would have been a couple of phone calls and a meeting.

Our club has become known as a soft touch in many areas. This is another. There is no way McGuire would not have used all his media connections to kick-up an almighty hullabaloo had the roles been reversed.
Fair enough, that's YOUR opinion, and good luck to you.

Rubbish, it doesn't matter if Balme had a written or verbal contract, and regardless of whether Wells replaces Balme or not (If he does we will need to find a replacement for Wells), so let me remind you of Eddie's words - "Our expenses in hiring and fulfilling his role would need to be compensated. These clubs who sack their (people) when they are contracted and come out of nowhere and disrupt our football department plans, which were well in place ... put it this way, we look forward to having a chat with a few people."

No it does matter, Blame was just a full time employee who had no specific term on his contract and is just required to give 4 weeks notice. Eade was contracted for a specific period of time and he had to break his contract to leave to go to the suns. You need to over look all your petty biases and your pathetic need to bag Ed the cases are chalk and cheese and any rational person would be able to see that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't Geelong already won their first modern era flag by the time Balme got there ?

Regardless, Brian Cook, Mark Thompson abs Stephen Wells were the architects of Geelong's three flags, Balme's influence was minimal at best ..

No. I remember seeing Balme in the lift at the MCG the day before the 2007 GF and I asked him how the cats would go, he was very confident.

No it does matter, Blame was just a full time employee who had no specific term on his contract and is just required to give 4 weeks notice. Eade was contracted for a specific period of time and he had to break his contract to leave to go to the suns. You need to over look all your petty biases and your pathetic need to bag Ed the cases are chalk and cheese and any rational person would be able to see that.
No. Am I not mistaken that Eddie demanded compensation for having to go out and find a replacement for Eade? Fact is, Collingwood did not need the $20,000, as one phone call to Balme solved the problem.

Brian Cook, Mark Thompson abs Stephen Wells were the architects of Geelong's three flags, Balme's influence was minimal at best ..
Not sure how you would know what influence Balme had. He leaves Geelong still highly and fondly regarded, and the calming influence he had cannot be underestimated. It was Balme who talked to the media so often. It was Balme who answered the tough questions, even right up to Christensen leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back