Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Eddie highlight how late Eade leaving to the Gold Coast was as grounds for compensation as it was going to cost more to hire someone to replace him?

Surely that same logic should be applied to Geelong as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Eddie highlight how late Eade leaving to the Gold Coast was as grounds for compensation as it was going to cost more to hire someone to replace him?

Balme is Leaving after the National/Rookie Draft so he is not needed after that and start of the 2015 Season

OK you are wrong. The Geelong CEO said in the presser compensation was not relevant in this case.

Yes because he was contracted for a further 3 years and losing him and then having to replace was an unexpected cost. Geelong didn't have a contract of any nature guaranteeing Balmes tenure beyond 2014 therefore it would be reasonable that they might have to pay to replace him if he left. The same works in reverse if Geelong wanted to sack Balme they could of without having to pay him out like McKenna or McCartney

All these smug collingwood fanbois crowing over Balme not having a proper contract at Geelong/not having to pay compensation are forgetting one thing... no matter how little compensation you have to pay, you are all a bunch of hypocritical campaigners ... crying at the first whiff of Eade leaving and then gloating that Balme left Geelong for Collingwood. I cant wait until another year is over, you are still asking yourself whether Mick could have won more flags if he had stayed on, and whether Buckley is as much of a flop as James Hird. But keep on thinking your shit smells like roses

Rubbish, it doesn't matter if Balme had a written or verbal contract, and regardless of whether Wells replaces Balme or not (If he does we will need to find a replacement for Wells), so let me remind you of Eddie's words - "Our expenses in hiring and fulfilling his role would need to be compensated. These clubs who sack their (people) when they are contracted and come out of nowhere and disrupt our football department plans, which were well in place ... put it this way, we look forward to having a chat with a few people."
Go and see Gold Coast if you want to pursue this. They caused this mess with their incompetence and tardiness. Absolutely no reason Pies should pay out anything.

Balmey's move is part of the Varcoe package.:p

Seriously, he's going to be a loss for us. Not easy to replace someone with his corporate management and football backgrounds.

In some ways I'm surprised he's agreed to return to the Pies after the way they dudded him last time. Recall him indicating the Walsh appointment pretty much meant his role was inconsequential leaving him little option but to resign. I guess big dollars heal these types of wounds.

For the first time in awhile I'm beginning to have concerns about the direction of our club.

I cant wait until another year is over, you are still asking yourself whether Mick could have won more flags if he had stayed on, and whether Buckley is as much of a flop as James Hird. But keep on thinking your shit smells like roses

Oh well. This time next year you will be asking if Simpson is as much of a flop as Ken Judge.
Not sure what your post adds to the discussion but carry on.

YAWN

Eade was contracted to the club in 2015

Balme was not.

Do you guys get it? :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong won't lose any sleep over losing Balme, in fact, it does sound like he got 'tapped on the shoulder'

I honestly doubt this is a massive coup for Collingwood, just seems like another job for the boys mentality that's crept into that club since Malthouse left...

While I'd normally be the last man to stick up for the Pies, there's a lot of morons who fail to understand the difference between a bloke with three years to run on a contract leaving as opposed to a bloke with no contract giving a month's notice as per his requirement with his current employer.

But not all 17 clubs are lib enough to blatantly poach other peoples staff, that's the key! Especially the ones that understand the morality of it (as McGuire has acknowledged the disharmony it causes and how unfair it is), yet does it meaning it was only a psychopathic lib tactic to manipulate the perception of others for his own self gain. No morality just anything for self interest, It's like the right winger commanded leftist like sympathy (public whinge about morality and poaching) to justify is right actions of doing what he just basically condemned. Rothschild Mcguire
Remind us again how Brian Cook came to be at Geelong -and of course Balme started his footy admin career at the Cats didn't he?

My understanding, albeit limited, is that a contract need not be written to necessarily still exist and be binding.

Contracts can be created verbally or by conduct that are just as binding as those that are written.

Often the basic contract is created by writing or verbally, with further terms included by subsequent documents or verbal undertakings, and additional terms may be implied by performance. Should the matter proceed to litigation, then the existence of any disputed terms may become an evidentiary concern.

Rodney Eade: Gave no indication that he was intending to leave, was contracted, left immediately and Collingwood had no replacement.

Balme: Not contracted, Geelong knew his intention, have a replacement, and he's staying till after the national draft.

And yet to the brains trust on BigFooty think it's the same thing. You brain dead frothers are good for a laff.

Everyone needs a Tiger.
images
I see what you did there ;)

[QUOTE="DaVillaBlues, post: 36050070, member: 155237

I honestly doubt this is a massive coup for Collingwood, just seems like another job for the boys mentality that's crept into that club since Malthouse left...[/QUOTE]

How is it a job for the boys?
The only ex Pies player Buckley has added to the coaching staff is Scott Burns, who spent 5 years at the Eagles as an assistant coach.
Rocca and Tarkyn Lockyer were hired in 2010 and 2011, both when Malthouse was still coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back