Pies vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't expect the Pies to get up last night, but they played very well. Just shows you how open thisyear is, you can't predict anything.

Geelong lose to Adelaide by 50 points at AAMI
Geelong only go down by 2 goals to the Pies.
Collingwood beat Adelaide with injuries at AAMI
Adelaide beat Carlton in melbourne by over 10 goals.
Carlton beat Collingwood by 10 goals

Also, Richmond belt Hawthorn by 10 goals.

Just a very weird and unpredictable season in my view.

Massive reality check for crows fans last night. Cant believe the pies pulled that off with the injuries they had.

No reality was checked..

We don't think we are up there as one of the absolute best in the comp.. Lot of development to go..

We matched it for a long part of the game and the Pies experience in pressure, more class/clean ball handling and willingness to break hard when they won the ball, won the game..

Who goes in favourites?

Pies have a couple of bigs outs in swan and reid and looked absolutely out go gas in the last quarter, but should have some quality ins.

Crows walked through Carlton today.

Already looking forward to this one.

Flip of the coin for me.

Flip of the coin was about right for this game. Have to feel for the pies though, with the evenness of the competition this year they are most likely going to run out of cattle come september.

A full list this year and they would have been a massive chance to have cantered it in.

Not saying they won't/can't win it this year, but injuries are going to make it that much harder.

Flip of the coin was about right for this game. Have to feel for the pies though, with the evenness of the competition this year they are most likely going to run out of cattle come september.

A full list this year and they would have been a massive chance to have cantered it in.

Not saying they won't/can't win it this year, but injuries are going to make it that much harder.

I agree, I'm definitely worried about our stocks, but it's a HUGE test on our development and depth. Can we pull it off? In 2009 Geelong had big injuries everywhere, and many players seem to be playing on one leg or tiredness. You guys had the hunger though, and it was stronger than the pain of the injuries.

Can we do the same? I hope so, if we somehow manage to nab this year's flag, it'll be one of the best flags of the modern era, and I'm sure I'd feel as elated as any Geelong supporter would have after the hellacious battle of a season '09 was for you guys.

Only Ball and arguably Johnson are critical injuries. We can cover Maccaffer Keeffe and Krakouer, and we will get the rest back.

It will however ( and it has already) affected our percentage. Hopefully that wont be to out detriment in September.

Only Ball and arguably Johnson are critical injuries. We can cover Maccaffer Keeffe and Krakouer, and we will get the rest back.

It will however ( and it has already) affected our percentage. Hopefully that wont be to out detriment in September.

Winning games would be more important, we have arguably one of the hardest draws this year (at least that's what you would have said at the start of the year!) so winning is more important, by 1 point or 100. I don't think percentage is going to be a clincher for us this year.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what predictions are for.

Also misread your post, thought you said ball and johnson are arguably critical, would have slapped you as Ball is one of our best :p.

Collingwood had too many players with more hardnosed match winning experience which is understandable given the last couple of years both sides have had. Crows do lack a bit of midfield depth though. It isn't about raw numbers but about top end quality. Collingwood were without 2 of their best 4 mids and others have taken up the slack. That is the sort of midfield depth that overcame St Kilda in 2010 and kept going long enough to beat Geelong and Essendon this year. You need to have very little drop off when the front line mids are resting and if they can go forward then that's a great bonus. Particularly if your key forwards aren't having much impact.

Crows won't win it this year but they are on the right path.

Pies have also been "lucky" with their injuries in that as soon as they get an injury, they get one back. Dale Thomas for example was critical on the weekend. Its only his second game back but the Pies were lucky his return from injury came just as Swan went out.

Now just as we lose Keeffe, Brown and TAz arent far away and our draw gets a bit easier.

So things could be a lot worse in terms of the timing of Collingwoods injuriies.

Pies have also been "lucky" with their injuries in that as soon as they get an injury, they get one back. Dale Thomas for example was critical on the weekend. Its only his second game back but the Pies were lucky his return from injury came just as Swan went out.

Now just as we lose Keeffe, Brown and TAz arent far away and our draw gets a bit easier.

So things could be a lot worse in terms of the timing of Collingwoods injuriies.

yes and a resounding no

injuries v hawthorn and v carlton and v geelong made those games a lot harder than they should have been.

yes and a resounding no

injuries v hawthorn and v carlton and v geelong made those games a lot harder than they should have been.

True our percentage has taken a hit but at least we have managed to scramble our way to 7-2.

Lots of teams have had key injuries early in games this season and lost games as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, every week (besides Hawthorn and Geelong) you have played teams who have been far more healthier. In fact, you've been the most unlucky.

You've also had the most significant in-game injuries of any team.

Maybe you're counting "lucky" as in you have good depth, particularly in the midfield and in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back