List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Garlett come to us? (Assuming your talking about Jeff)

- Carlton have much more money to offer
- Hes Mick Malthouses (Daisy Thomas) kick the footy with eachother before game
- In career best form playing for carlton
- Would only return home (WA) if he moved clubs
- As of this year Carlton are probably the 6th best side and we are the 5th as we speak

I was talking about Dayle.

What would people say too:

GWS receive: Gumbleton + Pears/Hooker + 1st rounder (+2nd rounder if required)

Essendon receive: Pick 1

Likely hood of being accepted if put on table?

As a hypothetical, what would you think of this trade.

Essendon give: Bellchambers, Gumbleton, Pears, First Round Pick
Essendon receive: Pick 1 (Boyd)

GWS give: Pick 1
GWS receive: Bellchambers, Pears, Gold Coast's First Round Pick

Gold Coast give: First Round Pick
Gold Coast receive: Scott Gumbleton, Essendon's First Round Pick

Could see us line up something like...

Hooker Carlisle Baguely
Hibberd Hurley Dempsey
Stanton Watson Goddard
Crameri Boyd Winderlich
Davey Daniher Merrett

Ryder Zarakis Heppell

I/C: Howlett, Hocking, Myers
S: Merrett

Thoughts?
Still not sure about trading TBC. If Ryder goes down or gets rubbed out for some time (which he is prone to doing unfortunately we put ourselves in an ordinary spot. Daniher is not a ruckman and there is literally nobody else on our list that could carry the ruck by themselves. IMO every team needs two capable ruckman available at all times.

It would be accepted gladly, because we are getting ripped off. Why would we give away 2 KPP's for an upgraded pick?

Seriously guys, there's really no need to be going for pick 1. Pick 1 will more than likely be Boyd who is a tall. We have been talking about how good our talls are already this year. Why would we give away our strength to get a player who could possibly be good in 2-3 years? We should be looking at a mid with our first pick, and probably a mid who could have immediate impact. Mids can be picked up anywhere in the draft. Midfield talent runs deeper in the draft than talls. We don't need to upgrade picks just for the sake of it. We will be looking at winning flags over the next few years. We can't compromise our strong points. We need midfield depth and a small forward. Assuming Hille retires too, we need a ruckman who can fill a gap when needed. We don't need KPP's.

If we do trade, it will be for a player who will fit straight into our best 22.

I wouldn't put it on the table. It's just stupid to trade 2 Key position players plus 2 draft picks to get pick 1. Gumbleton by himself could nab us the dogs 2nd rounder, and Pears the Eagles' second rounder.If we package those two and Bellchambers to get pick 1 an Giles I'd consider it

It would be accepted gladly, because we are getting ripped off. Why would we give away 2 KPP's for an upgraded pick?

Seriously guys, there's really no need to be going for pick 1. Pick 1 will more than likely be Boyd who is a tall. We have been talking about how good our talls are already this year. Why would we give away our strength to get a player who could possibly be good in 2-3 years? We should be looking at a mid with our first pick, and probably a mid who could have immediate impact. Mids can be picked up anywhere in the draft. Midfield talent runs deeper in the draft than talls. We don't need to upgrade picks just for the sake of it. We will be looking at winning flags over the next few years. We can't compromise our strong points. We need midfield depth and a small forward. Assuming Hille retires too, we need a ruckman who can fill a gap when needed. We don't need KPP's.

If we do trade, it will be for a player who will fit straight into our best 22.

Well if we had pick 1 I am sure we draft Aish who is the exact thing we need in our midfield.

Well if we had pick 1 I am sure we draft Aish who is the exact thing we need in our midfield.
So all you took from that post was who we would draft with pick 1 :rolleyes:

To give up 2 KPP's and a first round pick just to get pick 1 is crazy, especially when we are after midfielders. Let's assume we win the flag and get pick 20 this year, just for argument's sake. There will still be good midfielders left at pick 20.

I will repeat my previous sentiments, if we are to trade away a player this draft period, it will be for a player who can slot straight into our best 22.

Let's not forget free agency either, yet another reason we don't need to trade away good players for picks. Now that we are edging closer to challenging for the flag, players will be more inclined to come to us. Guys like Dal Santo, Montagna, Griffen or Cooney might see us as a final chance to grab that flag they missed out on and are unlikely to get at their current club (and FTR, and to avoid semantics, I'm not saying that they can/will come to us, just using them as an example).

what are you guys thoughts about jydon neagle looks like the alan didak type of player we need

I don't know about Didak, I actually reckon more dusty martin. I like him from the limited vision i've seen of his 2013 champs so far. Another best on for NSW at the weekend. Could be a handy pick up late on in the draft.

If Bellchambers wanted out what sort of pick do you think we would get for him? No other players or picks thrown in, just belly for a pick

If Bellchambers wanted out what sort of pick do you think we would get for him? No other players or picks thrown in, just belly for a pick

top 10. Possibly top 5

I don't know about Didak, I actually reckon more dusty martin. I like him from the limited vision i've seen of his 2013 champs so far. Another best on for NSW at the weekend. Could be a handy pick up late on in the draft.

Might have done well for NSW against SA (didn't see the game) but wasn't really near it against VM despite kicking a couple.

Marginal prospect from what I've seen. Very good overhead, and takes a lot of marks in the 50, but is a mid-sized marking fwd without a load of pace or much of a crumbing game. Smart player, but not enough tank to go into the midfield. Doesn't exert anything much in the way of fwd pressure. Where does he fit in an AFL lineup?

He hasn't had the most ideal draft prep/junior career for a variety of reasons, and this plus the Merv factor might mean he get picked up later or as a rookie, but I wouldn't be putting money on it at this stage. If his name was Smith he probably wouldn't be being considered. Alternatively we might sign him up to play in the EFC 2s VFL squad for a year if we choose not to draft him, park him in Skipworth's spare bedroom or at the Daniher's place, and try to get him into something approaching midfield/hit-up-forward shape and get his workrate up to see what we can make of him.

So all you took from that post was who we would draft with pick 1 :rolleyes:

To give up 2 KPP's and a first round pick just to get pick 1 is crazy, especially when we are after midfielders. Let's assume we win the flag and get pick 20 this year, just for argument's sake. There will still be good midfielders left at pick 20.

I will repeat my previous sentiments, if we are to trade away a player this draft period, it will be for a player who can slot straight into our best 22.

Let's not forget free agency either, yet another reason we don't need to trade away good players for picks. Now that we are edging closer to challenging for the flag, players will be more inclined to come to us. Guys like Dal Santo, Montagna, Griffen or Cooney might see us as a final chance to grab that flag they missed out on and are unlikely to get at their current club (and FTR, and to avoid semantics, I'm not saying that they can/will come to us, just using them as an example).

I get your point. Believe me. All I was doing was throwing up a hypothetical like everybody else on here and seeing if you guys thought that if it was on the table it would have been acceptable, which I might add you said would be in your own opinion. I know we are after midfielders, hence why I said we would draft Aish, the best midfield prospect in the draft.

I wasn't saying I want to see this happen or that there was a reason that it could/would happen, most people often overrate players on their clubs lists, such as when Caddy was our target and people were saying 'Ricky Dyson + 3rd rounder'. Even if the players involved play VFL all year, some supporters still overate them.

The most common used phrase when it comes to trading is 'you have to give up something to get something' and in this case I think we are giving up 2 good players who would play senior football for some other clubs who are still relatively young and who have potential, plus the picks to sweeten it. I think it is reasonable but I'm sure some would agree and others wouldn't (especially opposition supporters).

This was my point that I was trying to make. I agree there will probably be a solid midfielder at say pick 20 as you said hypothetically, however the opportunity of adding someone like Aish to our midfield would be a huge get for us and would make us even more potent through there in a year or 2's time.

I know Gumbleton and Pears are some peoples love childs on here so I know some would push it aside and think I am crazy and don't get me wrong I like them too and I would love them to be on our list next season. However I don't see them sticking around if the can't cement a place in the 22. This is more so directed at Gumbleton than Pears as I think they ultimately want Pears to replace Fletcher in the side once he retires. Gumbleton I can see leaving at seasons end for more opportunity because of Daniher's emergence and I can't begrudge him for doing so and the same could possibly happen with Pears. This was all I was getting at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good would it be if Patrick Ryders brother had the desire to play AFL? I think he plays ruck as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick just the one junior ruckmen Ethan

Afterall TBC and Ryder have both pretty good bodies that have had limited injuries. Suspension(s) however is a whole different story.

If for 2-3 weeks we need a ruckmen we have a number of ample contributors that could fill the void and the potential of a rookie listed ruckmen also possible.

List management is as tight as ever and the chance for 5 years of development is nigh for ruckmen.

Memories of a certain final played at a certain ground that rhymes with Amy makes me shudder at this prospect.

On a comparitve scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the 2012 injury list?

Never say never.....

IMHO 2009 was worse. From memory we played every senior listed player that year bar one (the ever injured A.Long). John Williams even got a game!

We are slowly knocking over our hoodoo list

Start winning interstate games - :thumbsu:
Start winning in June - :thumbsu:
Convincing ANZAC day win - :thumbsu:
Start consistently beating teams well below us on the ladder (as opposed to those we're fighting it out with or above us) - :(
Avoid late season injury curse leaving us a thread bare team - ?

2009 compared to 2012 - either way we were screwed come season's end. I'd love to hit the back end of a season with a reasonably low injury list, fingers crossed that is on it's way.

Back to the point though, the 2009 elimination final showed what an AFL level ruckman will do when up against fill ins for a full game. The fill in is ok as a chop out but you need better over the course of a full game, let alone across a few weeks.

Surely we'd look at Longer from Brisbane if T-Bell decides to leave to GWS? With Neeld sacked Gawn is a higher possibility of staying :(.

Of course, we should try to get Giles as part of the deal

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back