Autopsy Port beat Dogs 70-56

Remove this Banner Ad

We crapped out pants when we hit the lead , similar to last week where we can't control games from a position of being in front . It's a trait of bevo's coaching that we can't win as favourites or control games when we hit the lead .
The last good entry into the fwd 50, we had the ball and loose player's in the pocket , instead we go flat out and kick to no one in the corridor. Such a shame it was there to win .

I guess what it all boils down to is ruthlessness.

Are we ruthless enough on field to drag and fight and win games like last night? No.

Are we ruthless enough to not accept the sort of dross we get served up in the coaches box every week and change the club and set us on a new course? No.

So, the end result is we are where we are for now. A middling, muddled mish mash of top end elite talent, a handful of great kids combined with too many VFL/suburban standard and overrated and ageing hacks.

Port spread from the contest was noticeably better than ours, we play stop start and it’s then booted into a congested forward 50.
Port hot most of their goals this way.
Our best 6 players carry the team, as mentioned our bottom 6 do not contribute what is required and it’s time to give blokes like Buku, Cleary and others some chances because Hannan, mccomb and players of that age and level are not going to improve.
Hinkley outcoached Bevo too

Can understand Bont being rotated, but English needed to stay out there, he went off after Port's first goal in Q4 and was missing when they kicked the second.

English went off at Q4 10:25 and came back on at Q4 15:50.

Bontempelli went off at Q4 13:30 and came back on at Q4 20:08.

Port Adelaide kicked goals at…

Q4 10:03
Q4 12:57
Q4 16:11
Q4 25:33
Staggering incompetence by our coaching staff. Unbelievable to have Bont off for almost 7 minutes during the middle of the last quarter and to have English on the bench also for much of that time is indefensible. We can't blame the players for this loss.

Staggering incompetence by our coaching staff. Unbelievable to have Bont off for almost 7 minutes during the middle of the last quarter and to have English on the bench also for much of that time is indefensible. We can't blame the players for this loss.

You wonder how much longer it can go on.

The insane coaching moves, mind boggling selections, mismanagement of players and complete inability to do anything to stop run ons. Does the club even want to do anything about it?

You wonder how much longer it can go on.

The insane coaching moves, mind boggling selections, mismanagement of players and complete inability to do anything to stop run ons. Does the club even want to do anything about it?
Bevo just got a 2 year contract extension...so we know the answer to that question.

Could not believe it when I saw Bont still on the bench after the 3rd goal

Maybe one of our senior assistant coaches during the game could have put on the table some new plans or ideas to help Bevo

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really. I think the pay out is capped at 6 months. Giving an ageing Rory Lobb four years on good money and giving up two reasonable draft picks is really dumb!
Hmm yes looking for a quick fix maybe. Not looking like a great plan atm

Just some random thoughts on the game.
  • I completely accept that Bev knows more about football than me. But what is it he sees in Hannan that I miss completely? Every game Hannan plays as I expect him to. That can’t be what Bev wants.
  • TOB got exposed when having to play as a KPD when Bruce got injured. He did ok as the third tall defender. Give Buku a chance to show if he can do firstly the third tall job and maybe hold his own when needed as a KPD.
  • I fear injury has caught up with McLean. But if he is on 98 games we need to get him to 100. With our good fortune with father sons it is worth a punt. I am serious about this.
  • we need to trial Buku, Cleary and McNeil. We need to see if we can improve the performance of the team and it’s not happening by sticking with our bottom three or four. We know what they give us and it’s not good enough

Agree totally.

I would throw in West and Garcia and start playing them in the middle.

Our midline lack of depth was a factor in the final quarter.

We might suffer in the short term a bit, but we need to find out who will step up after our top 6-8 drop off or get injured.

Playing 25 yo + duds is coaching incompetence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said in the thread earlier , I only caught the last quarter on TV so I barely saw anything positive at all . It was a disaster.

Giving credit to the opposition , Allir has gone a step up from very good to excellent this season . He’s in AA form . He’s now got the strength to impose himself on any forward and kills you on the rebound .

That said any of those rebounding defenders - Allir , Andrews, Lever etc - must think Christmas has come early when they face up against our midfield delivery . They circle the Bulldogs fixture on their calendars and break out the mince pies.
Aliir is the worst of those 3 by a mile, he isn’t that good one on one and has been down on form ever since the 2021 prelim. Port’s defence was held down by Aliir and Mackenzie and dealt with us comfortably all night. That is damning. Bergman played the 3rd man up like he was prime Jeremy McGovern.

I was/am very disappointed in Lobb's lack of effectiveness. He seems to lope along at half pace and once he's knocked off the ball (nearly every time) there's no second effort. You can only get away with getting-over-injury for so long. The coach needs to have a hard convo with Lobby.

Josh Bruce is doing quite well.

Power absolutely made it a focus to physically smash English at every opportunity.

When we start to play like the hunter rather than the hunted we will improve but I feel we lack the hunger and natural aggression for this to occur in the current list.

I was/am very disappointed in Lobb's lack of effectiveness. He seems to lope along at half pace and once he's knocked off the ball (nearly every time) there's no second effort. You can only get away with getting-over-injury for so long. The coach needs to have a hard convo with Lobby.
Pardon the intrusion , But Lobb is hopeless when it rains ,Very soft player that's needs things his way .
And as you know the gap between his best and worst is huge last night was a typical wet game from Lobb.
The game last year when he kicked 4 against you was good Lobb last night well that's the gap you will get from Lobby.

He doesn’t need to take games by the scruff of the neck, just capitalise on his opportunities. He had two very gettable shots at goal, he kicks those and even if we lose nobody is bashing him.

99th game tonight, so just needs 1 more. He'll get there.
Just make him the sub a few times. Would be good to get him there.

But he really looks cooked. It’s sad because he showed so much potential, particularly in 2018, but that season aside he has spent time in the VFL every other year and never been a certain starter.

At present I think all of Toby, O’Brien, Crozier, Hannan and McComb will be on the chopping block and Bruce, Duryea and Keath might have an issue if they drop out of the 22 before season’s end.

Josh Bruce is doing quite well.

Power absolutely made it a focus to physically smash English at every opportunity.

When we start to play like the hunter rather than the hunted we will improve but I feel we lack the hunger and natural aggression for this to occur in the current list.
Bruce steadied but he had a direct impact on every one of Port’s goals in the first quarter. His reaction time is too slow to play him in the backline along with his poor foot skills

Bevo (stupidly) was given a contract extension before we needed to do it. Now you should earn that extension Luke. Bite the bullet and play the younger kids and give Hannan, McComb, O'Brien etc the flick and build for the future. Develop some alternative strategies to arrest an opposition run-on and for goodness' sakes please change the ridiculous over-the-top team defense that pushes up too aggressively and exposes us on turnover in a heartbreaking manner many times a game. It must be demoralizing for the players (as it is for us fans.)
Omfg how ridiculous was the extremely high defensive press last night, in the pouring down ****ing rain. I’ve made my thoughts clear on what I think of it and how it’s leaving us exposed but fair enough in the dry the idea is that we cut off the long kick and lock the ball in our front half - it’s outdated football but hey at least it has merit - but when it’s ****ing torrential rain and no one can take a mark, and your up against a side that wipes us for leg speed in the front half of the ground - yep let’s push our last line of defence right up so when it inevitably spills out the back or our defenders can’t mop up cleanly due to the conditions, one handball goal side and it’s all over.

****ing brain dead coaching, some of these decisions are incomprehensible at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back