Autopsy Port defeat Freo by some margin idk anyway the season's over

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasted season and probably the most disappointed I've ever felt about missing finals. which is something! Glad it's all over now, my heart can rest and I can go back to enjoying my leisure time stress free for 6 months. For some reason, I still feel optimistic about the next 3 or 4 years as long as players are held to account and those years don't get wasted. Has J Lo got that in him? I don't know. Some guys were carried for most of this season and they continued to put in lackluster and lazy performances, with no risk of getting dropped. That can't happen.

I found this stat from the AFL site match feed today damning. Freo was ranked 17th for the season with an I50 pressure factor applied of just 161. Bloody 17th. And today with a chance to play finals, that pressure factor inside 50 actually DROPPED to 137! Isn't 17th bad enough? How can it drop when you're playing for finals? Those forwards don't only kill momentum by missing easy shots but they fail to apply any pressure at all. At least when we were all bagging Mayney for being a momentum killer, we couldn't bag his efforts in applying pressure.
Thats the problem in a nutshell.
Tell me one good reason Freddy with his speed and strength couldnt be as good a tackler as Brayshaw?
Tell me why Amiss is not half as good as Treacey at tackling inside 50?
Tell me why Shooter who has half the pace is a better tackler than Sturt?
I will give you a hint, its not the players, its the coaching.
The players have the desire, speed (Sonny doesnt have the speed so he has an excuse) and strength to tackle but they are not structured to do so.
Big games and finals are won on pressure all over the ground- not allowing an easy passage out of our forward 50.

I can take the losses against Port and GWS but the loss to Essendon and Geelong were very disappointing. Those two games should have been wins, they are nowhere near the quality of Port and GWS.
The Essendon one is the worst, but the GWS also stings almost as bad. Geelong we lost before the game even started with selection. Port ended up being a 4 goal loss.

GWS we really should've won when the game was on the line. If one of Banfield or Cox played even 5% less bad then we win, and they were already before like a good 50% below their standard. Reality is if you're looking for something that directly cost us finals those peformances are as close as you get, Cox's especially.

It has to be a fitness thing right? Like I need an explanation for why our pressure is so far off every other good team
Its not fitness Snuff, otherwise you would see great starts with poor finishes. Its entirely poor tackling technique combined with standing 20 foot from your immediate opponent. Its hard to get good pressure ratings when you prefer to guard space and corall.

Probably says more about Jackson than anything ...

A bloke were calling needs to play forward because he's crap in the ruck, has been rubbish all year as a forward.
They need to figure out how to use him. No doubt he's talented, but uninvolved as a KPF and at best a backup ruck. Wing? Mid? Back?
Good post, I agree.

For all the talk from the club about using Jackson as a mid I reckon he attended 2 centre bounces that I saw all year. Talk about not giving something a go.

Never tried him as a wing even when NOD was out and never tried him as a back ala Lobb when all our key backs were out.

Said they wanted to see him gel up forward in the JJJ structure but as soon as Hodor goes down instead of picking a ruck, they pull him out of the forward line, ruining the structure.

A year gone and we still dont know where to play him it seems.

They killed us being able to mark between the arcs, their rucks smashed ours in that.
Play Jackson between the arcs on a wing as a release kick out of the backline. Youve been big on having more marking prowess between the arcs for a long time and I agree.

Probably says more about Jackson than anything ...

A bloke were calling needs to play forward because he's crap in the ruck, has been rubbish all year as a forward.
They need to figure out how to use him. No doubt he's talented, but uninvolved as a KPF and at best a backup ruck. Wing? Mid? Back?

He’s been rubbish in the ruck too lately, clearly injured. He got dominated when he went into the ruck today. Was abysmal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson has never ever been a good ruck.

We were sold a unicorn and we've used him as a standard second ruck.

Pisses me off tbh.
He was much better last year when he played there in patches. Having him carry the load for so long and so early on was never gonna work for us.

Started the year on fire but for whatever reason can’t do more than 3 games in there without breaking down

He was much better last year when he played there in patches. Having him carry the load for so long and so early on was never gonna work for us.

Started the year on fire but for whatever reason can’t do more than 3 games in there without breaking down
Blame Darcy then.
He should be training ASAP.
Instead he ll go holidays, drink beers and party.
Can’t wait for some knee complaint to miss pre season until February.

Blame Darcy then.
He should be training ASAP.
Instead he ll go holidays, drink beers and party.
Can’t wait for some knee complaint to miss pre season until February.
Well he won’t be training ASAP bc he’ll be going straight into surgery again 🙄

Sharp is one player that is greatly overrated on this board. People think that because we got him for free, it’s ok if he’s not great.
His decision making is awful at times. He’s not a clutch goal kicker (the exact opposite whatever that is). Average to poor user by foot.

I think he’s got A LOT of improving to do or else we need to upgrade that position.
I think teams put a lot more time into Sharp. His first half of the year was great. The downhill slide started in that post bye game vs Bulldogs where he had 4 possessions. He turned into Acres style bomb it long to no advantage.

He has a lot of work to do over the pre-season.

Well he won’t be training ASAP bc he’ll be going straight into surgery again 🙄
Fanastic.
The club need to decide this off season to fast track Reidy and Knobel and say you’re in if Darcy or Jackson aren’t fit or performing.
Jackson and Darcy were garbage this season. Got nothing but injuries, underperforming and using way too much salary cap

Started with a bang but ended with a whimper. Bet the boys are hurting; I’m gutted.

Look on the bright side I guess… no need to get anxious in the finals series?

So, in reflection after the saints win - a big opportunity to play finals presented itself. But we couldn’t grasp it

Just like we couldn’t grasp the top 4 spot when it was there

Or the top 2 spot

So it was a very predictable result. Great credit to port who defended and pressured really well.

I think teams put a lot more time into Sharp. His first half of the year was great. The downhill slide started in that post bye game vs Bulldogs where he had 4 possessions. He turned into Acres style bomb it long to no advantage.

He has a lot of work to do over the pre-season.
Yep, agreed. Didn't take long for him to start getting extra attention. Hopefully he works through it - should be watching mountains of Billy tape in the off-season.

Yep, agreed. Didn't take long for him to start getting extra attention. Hopefully he works through it - should be watching mountains of Billy tape in the off-season.
It hurts because Sharp is the only consistent damaging winger Fremantle has. Of course can put a tag on him, because there’s only one winger every week. Who’s on the other ? JOM. Scary stuff

It hurts because Sharp is the only consistent damaging winger Fremantle has. Of course can put a tag on him, because there’s only one winger every week. Who’s on the other ? JOM. Scary stuff

noddy GIF

I can take the losses against Port and GWS but the loss to Essendon and Geelong were very disappointing. Those two games should have been wins, they are nowhere near the quality of Port and GWS.
Loss against the Hawks also very bad. We had them on toast but couldn't handle Sicily with one arm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port defeat Freo by some margin idk anyway the season's over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back